Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

EightBitz

Old August 31st, 2017, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Until you need to switch computers or you upgrade your PC/windows and need to renew your license.

But you said you don't deal with a company that doesn't have a policy for hacking and backup, but you have Herolab, so you obviously break that rule.

So it seems you trust LWD here, so there is no point in not trusting them for HLO.
Switching computers is an existing feature with proven functionality.

This as opposed to the slipping release dates for the initial release of RealmWorks, and the slipping release dates for the content market, and the lack of custom calendars.

And now, with Hero Lab, we've gone from Starfinder being announced for the end of August to possibly never.

You're comparing a long-standing, proven, reliable feature to a complete paradigm shift (that demands new investments) from a company who, over the last few years, has had constantly moving goal posts.

Hero Lab, as it stands, is a good product. Best in class.
RealmWorks, as it stands, is a good product. Best in class.

The fact is, though, there are people still waiting (after how many years?) for RealmWorks features that were promised in the Kickstarter. And in the midst of that angst, they're announcing a paradigm shift in their flagship product with features that are coming "soon" after cancelling (not just postponing, but cancelling) their previously announced release of Starfinder for Hero Lab.

You expect this to inspire trust in me?

And that's my last word on this topic. I'm not going to drag this out into another big kerfuffle.
EightBitz is offline   #61
Toblakai

Old August 31st, 2017, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
I won't be dropping money on Hero Lab online, I don't have internet access where I run my games, so its not worth the added expense. I can take my laptop and printer with me, print the necessary sheets and I'm good. If I need internet access I'd have to print everything at home and hopefully not forget to bring the printouts when I drag the books with me. Half the time my home internet doesn't work well either.
Sounds like you need to move
Toblakai is offline   #62
Mystic Lemur

Old August 31st, 2017, 10:04 PM
If Hero Lab Classic had the basics of Starfinder (character creation and maintenance) I would be much more likely to buy-in to Online for the extra features. As it is, I feel like I'm dealing with a car salesman. The only way to get the basics I want is by paying for all the extras I don't need. There is a dissonance there that is raising my hackles and making me resistant to this whole thing.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #63
Alewis

Old August 31st, 2017, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
If Hero Lab Classic had the basics of Starfinder (character creation and maintenance) I would be much more likely to buy-in to Online for the extra features. As it is, I feel like I'm dealing with a car salesman. The only way to get the basics I want is by paying for all the extras I don't need. There is a dissonance there that is raising my hackles and making me resistant to this whole thing.
I'm probably in the same boat. If I could get Starfinder on Classic I wouldn't care what they're doing with HLO.
Alewis is offline   #64
Paragon

Old September 1st, 2017, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Think about the market they will be able to open up to also. Right now Hero Lab is not useful for the emerging market in the rpg industry. There are ALOT of people playing over the internet. There are people playing around a table with a few member playing from the other side of the country.

You make Hero Lab work over the network and you instantly open up the tool to that market. I suspect this move will make for quite a few new members of our community. I'm sure it will result in some leaving too. But I'd wager the positives will out weight the negatives for LWD.
This is only an issue if you need the program to be interactive from multiple sources at once. I have one group where half the people who play are remoting in, and I use HL with them fine, thanks. I don't need them to see exactly what's going on in my instance any more than I do with those playing face to face.

So this isn't about people playing over the internet; its about a very specific kind of usage over the internet, and to claim otherwise is overstating it.
Paragon is offline   #65
Toblakai

Old September 1st, 2017, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Switching computers is an existing feature with proven functionality.
My point here was, you can't do this if their license computer has no data.

Quote:
This as opposed to the slipping release dates for the initial release of RealmWorks, and the slipping release dates for the content market, and the lack of custom calendars.

And now, with Hero Lab, we've gone from Starfinder being announced for the end of August to possibly never.

You're comparing a long-standing, proven, reliable feature to a complete paradigm shift (that demands new investments) from a company who, over the last few years, has had constantly moving goal posts.

Hero Lab, as it stands, is a good product. Best in class.
RealmWorks, as it stands, is a good product. Best in class.

The fact is, though, there are people still waiting (after how many years?) for RealmWorks features that were promised in the Kickstarter. And in the midst of that angst, they're announcing a paradigm shift in their flagship product with features that are coming "soon" after cancelling (not just postponing, but cancelling) their previously announced release of Starfinder for Hero Lab.

You expect this to inspire trust in me?
I totally agree here.. Realmworks delivery timeline is not one to inspire trust in them hitting release dates and adding features. But RW is pretty stable now and the updates and cloud service work perfectly fine for me, so I think they probably have that aspect under control, backups and security are the easy thing compared to the actual development.

I am still stoked for what this can potentially do, and hope that they can get new features in fast. The loot tracker sounds great, currently all my groups use a shared google spreadsheet, and an integrated solution would be much nicer. Especially if the GM can just dump the loot from an encounter into it in an "unidentified state" (yeah wishful thinking..)
Toblakai is offline   #66
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 2nd, 2017, 06:50 AM
The coding team is small, this isn't a company the size of google or facebook with hundreds of code monkey slinging code all day. And Rob doesn't have that kind of financial backing to hire hundreds of people either.

Frankly, I find Lone Wolf hits their targets within reasonable time frames.

It's nothing like say, Onyx Path publishing who took in over half a million dollars on kickstarter for Exalted 3rd edition and missed the marks they promised by 3 years and only just recently hired new writers to pick up the slack... Frankly, Lone Wolf missing a release by a month or two is far easier to cope with than waiting 3-4 years past a kickstarter goal date for a book you paid in full for three years before the missed deadline. I'd say waiting an extra month or two is fair on hero lab. It's not fun to wait, but there are worse things you could be waiting on.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #67
TemporalVengeance

Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:18 AM
Quote:
The coding team is small, this isn't a company the size of google or facebook with hundreds of code monkey slinging code all day. And Rob doesn't have that kind of financial backing to hire hundreds of people either.

It's nothing like say, Onyx Path publishing who took in over half a million dollars on kickstarter for Exalted 3rd edition and missed the marks they promised by 3 years and only just recently hired new writers to pick up the slack... Frankly, Lone Wolf missing a release by a month or two is far easier to cope with than waiting 3-4 years past a kickstarter goal date for a book you paid in full for three years before the missed deadline. I'd say waiting an extra month or two is fair on hero lab. It's not fun to wait, but there are worse things you could be waiting on.
I just think that I (and others) would be a lot happier if maybe HLC had all the character creation components and the shipbuilding was in HLO. That being said, the rules for Starfinder are VERY similar to the old Starjammer books and until I stopped working on it because of LWD's Starfinder announcement, I was quite successful in implementing the ship-building rules of Starjammer using a variant of the Eidolon Mechanics. It just treated the ship like an eidolon/animal companion as far as the software is concerned, the hull was a race and the systems were an treated like an eidolon upgrade.
TemporalVengeance is offline   #68
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalVengeance View Post
I just think that I (and others) would be a lot happier if maybe HLC had all the character creation components and the shipbuilding was in HLO. That being said, the rules for Starfinder are VERY similar to the old Starjammer books and until I stopped working on it because of LWD's Starfinder announcement, I was quite successful in implementing the ship-building rules of Starjammer using a variant of the Eidolon Mechanics. It just treated the ship like an eidolon/animal companion as far as the software is concerned, the hull was a race and the systems were an treated like an eidolon upgrade.
I am finishing up implementing the mechanics for Alchemical Exalted right now in the Exalted 2e file I created. I know how much work it is but its not too complex to add things to Hero lab. It just takes time and commitment. In the last 3 months I've implemented the Books of Sorcery and all the other manuals of exalted power. This is literally the last book I have to implement before I can focus on just adding data. I shouldn't have to do any more source code hammering once I get this last book done.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #69
drakahn99

Old September 3rd, 2017, 09:32 PM
Quote:

A MONTH OR TWO!?!...are you kidding?

copied/pasted from the realm works kickstarter...

Pack Member: You’ll receive a copy of the Realm Works software when it is publicly released. You’ll also be listed as a Pack Member supporter in the manual and have a corresponding Pack Member badge next to your user name on the Realm Works server. You'll receive the monthly Realm Works developer blog as well.

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Jul 2013

ESTIMATED DELIVERY of 2013... thats 4 years and still waiting on the content market... i mean they know they have people waiting on this and they aparantly know they have a small development team... they should devote resources to finish the promised projects BEFORE starting on another poject if they want to inspire trust rather than start something now....
drakahn99 is offline   #70
Closed Thread