Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

meek75

Old September 5th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
In all propability you are right, EightBitz.
even though this utter silence speaks volumes.
Since RW launched there has been mostly silence with a few bursts of communication. In the early days things were better, but for years now it has been very poor communication from LWD.

I would be willing to pay for a major update if it means we get major updates. If it was easy to get my stuff transferred out of RW I would have done it already. For now, I am only using RW with a game I have been running for a long time. All my more recent games are sans RW. I will probably just use google drive from now on for organization. Now that google drive is easy to sync and use across devices that will work fine for me.

The product as it is now would be an OK product, except that it is not dependable. Myself and others have way to many crashes and sync errors for me to trust it. Add to that the generally poor customer service that LWD offers for RW and it is a risky venture.

Maybe someday there will be a top tier GM tool for managing games, but that day is not yet here. I have not been swept off my feet by other products out there either.

If D&D Beyond continues to grow as it has been that may become a great option for D&D DMs in the future. The way they communicate with users and make steady updates is very encouraging.
meek75 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old September 7th, 2019, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
It seems possible that LWD has a less-than-optimum business model in place with this strategy. I would completely understand a RW 2.0 upgrade that has to be paid for. It should however be a MAJOR upgrade, not just some bug fixes.
Yes, I think so, too.

And, at least in my humble and more or less irrelevant opinion, they are backing the wrong horse overall. It looks like they are focussing more or less on one major game system instead of really aiming at those of us who GM more than one system, those with homebrew systems and worlds, those playing minor systems etc.
And, how about aiming at authors, who write complex stories?

From my point of view, this would need improved storyboards, custom calendars etc.:
https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61552
And interfaces to word processors and VTTs.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old September 7th, 2019, 05:17 AM
Seems to be that they should immediately open up the CM for user created products. At the very least it would help grow the available CM products. For all the work that went into CM, those that don't don't play don't have much to spend money on there. It would also infuse some much needed excitement back into the community.
meek75 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 7th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
Seems to be that they should immediately open up the CM for user created products. At the very least it would help grow the available CM products. For all the work that went into CM, those that don't don't play don't have much to spend money on there. It would also infuse some much needed excitement back into the community.
This! What happened to the "grey council?"

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Philderbeast

Old September 7th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj Stephens View Post
Sure, I understand your frustration. Different Devs are working on different projects at any given time. They move back and forth, help each other figure things out, it's impossible to tell what is on each day's docket. Yes, RW is being worked on. Yes, HLC and HLO are being worked on. It's all an ongoing process. I'm sorry we can't give you a more solid answer at this time. Please continue to watch for announcements here and on social media. We'll tell you about new developments just as soon as we are able. Thank you.
so what's being worked on? what progress is being made on it?

there was a prommise of weekly updates made, so can we get them, or are we going to continue to get empty promises when it comes to Realm works?
Philderbeast is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old September 7th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philderbeast View Post
so what's being worked on? what progress is being made on it?

there was a prommise of weekly updates made, so can we get them, or are we going to continue to get empty promises when it comes to Realm works?
In other posts they have made clear that the promise of updates was only until the CM launched. They consider that a fulfilled promise. I agree that the original promise did not make that at all clear.
meek75 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old September 8th, 2019, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
In other posts they have made clear that the promise of updates was only until the CM launched. They consider that a fulfilled promise. I agree that the original promise did not make that at all clear.
Well, thus far, it's a pretty small market. I'm not necessarily looking for more features. There is definitely stuff that I would buy if it was available, but right now it's not. Just give me more options content wise and fix bugs.
KefkaZ is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old September 9th, 2019, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
If there was an easy way to salvage my homebrew worlds and take them to a competetive product, I might have already done it.

But, on the other hand, I have not abandoned all hope yet, that RW will become a supported product once again, even though this utter silence speaks volumes.
I think LWD is too small a company to manage the different products professionally. It may be more fun to work in such an environment but in the end it would definitely be better for the market if some professional software developing company took over the little shack. RW has the potential to become a really great product, but the way it is currently treated negates that.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old September 9th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Well, I wish LWD would just open the sourcecode and add some features to the cloud service. Thus creating a sustainable business model and plannable income for continous incremental improvements of the product. At the same time you can make use of the incredible talent in the community.
Merion is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old September 10th, 2019, 11:35 AM
I'm sure BJ or another Lone Wolf person will come by to give an update on communication, but if people haven't been following the Facebook group, here was her last update that was Realm Works related a few weeks ago:

"We aren't being quiet because we're hiding anything, we're being quiet because there is just absolutely nothing to report on the RW front beyond some PF1 society releases that released as I was heading to Gen Con and the already announced server time being available to purchase.

Realm Works is our passion project, but currently, we need to focus on the products that pay the bills. With the surprise of PF2 coming out and needing to get it all into place before PF1 sales drop off entirely we had to pull pretty much everyone off other teams to ensure it was even remotely close to done on time. We are still supporting Realm Works and have every intention of continuing to do so but at the end of the day we are a business and we have to make sure we take the steps to ensure all our products, Realm Works included, continue to be available for many years to come. Once things calm down, we hope to be able to reassign people back to working on Realm Works again and get fixes and new systems in place."

So, hopefully that will happen soon, since Pathfinder 2 is available for Hero Lab Online now (I'm not a Pathfinder player so I haven't been following the Pathfinder 2 release too closely).

Hopefully we'll get some devs assigned back to Realm Works soonish. I'd love to see releases for Realm Works of the game systems supported by Hero Lab Classic, since that integration between the two products is really fantastic and something I enjoy quite a bit. I'd buy the Shadowrun releases immediately.

I am, however, a bit worried with Hero Lab Online what that is going to do with my Realm Works / Hero Lab integration in the future. Realm Works is user-friendly enough that with enough time and effort I can build a world in Realm Works. Hero Lab Classic is NOT user friendly enough for me to build in. I'm playing Infinity 2D20 at the moment, and I'd love nothing more than to have all my characters and NPCs in Hero Lab, but alas I just can't program all that, so I just have to deal with copying statblocks into Realm Works and living without the combat tracker.

I'm really curious what's going to happen with Shadowrun 6th Edition, and whether that is going to get built into Hero Lab Online or Classic. Cause I really want that Realm Works integration!
Murrdox is offline   #20 Reply With Quote