Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Ualaa

Old July 12th, 2017, 06:40 AM
I'd prefer to not have to create a picture and hero lab portfolio link for each creature more than once.

Is there a way to share the Mechanics across each of my Realms, and go with one Realm per campaign I'm running?

Or would I be better off with a single Realm for every campaign, with a shared Mechanics functionality, and go with a Story Almanac for each campaign (or major subsection thereof)?
Ualaa is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:00 AM
At the current time what you want is not possible. Here are a few idea that you might consider:

--Create a Mechanics Realm, then export that file and import it into each of our other realms. The draw back with this is that anytime you add to or change the mechanics realm you will need to do a new export file and then import again to each realm. Personally, I think this approach will be difficult and problematic, but it should be possible.

--The second option is what you suggested in the OP. Create a single realm with multiple story almanacs. Each campaign would have its own almanac. This, I feel, is the better options, but also has some issues. You could end up with a very big realm. Also, when you say want to run "multiple campaigns" what do you mean? Do you have two groups going through the same material? Or, are these completely separate groups with completely separate worlds?

--Remember that tags can be your friends too. If you create a tag domain called "Campaign Setting" and a tag for each game ("Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Greyhawk . . .) you can then tag each article with the appropriate campaign and filter so that you only see the material for the game you are running at the time.

If you give us more info about exactly what you are wanting to do, we may be able to offer more ideas.
meek75 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I'm playing Pathfinder.
We are taking the summer off.

I literally got Realm Works yesterday, after having watched several videos over the previous couple of weeks.

The current campaign is maybe 25% done... AAW's Rise of the Drow.
I'm basically adding every monster the adventure path uses, to my mechanics section.
Along with a Hero Lab portfolio for it, and an image if possible.

Our next campaign will be 'The Blight' from Frog God Games, which is due to arrive this summer.
One of my players will be running a 22 session campaign, at the conclusion of Rise of the Drow, which will give me time to prepare the Blight.

When I get to that point, any creature which appeared within Rise of the Drow, I'd prefer to be able to access with 'The Blight'.

Ideally, the next campaign following that one, will be able to reference anything that was required from a previous campaign, as far as monsters or the like go.
I'm just not sure which would be the best way to go for that.

At the moment, I'm only at the stage of adding 'Rise of the Drow' material to my Realm.
Ualaa is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:36 AM
So, do I understand correctly that all of the various games you are running are going to be set in the game world? In other words, if the Cathedral of Night was a location in the first game, will it still exist in the world during the second game? You may never visit it or even talk about in the second game, but it is still sitting over there somewhere? If this is the case I would absolutely keep everything in a single realm and use the story almanacs and tags to organize it. That way all the games can easily share the mechanics articles. I have a pathfinder realm that I have done this for and it works great. I ran one game in and around Magnimar and another another way to the east in the River Kingdoms. The two games didn't overlap at all, but Magnimar still existed in the world during the River Kingdoms game. If I want to run a third game near Magnimar all that info is still there for me to use. The mechanics are common to all games. This also gives you flexibility to do unexpected things. For example, my players might stumble across a teleportation circle in the River Kingdoms that whisks them to Magnimar.

If you are running games in totally different game worlds then it gets much messier.
meek75 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old July 12th, 2017, 07:46 AM
While the current and next campaign are from separate publishers, they could very easily exist in the same world.
I have a lot of material from Frog God Games, so the Lost Lands (which has a lot of open and unexplored area) could easily be the overall setting.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go with a single Realm.
Ualaa is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old July 12th, 2017, 09:27 AM
The Blight is on track for a probable August release. It was a Kickstarter stretch goal so it will be available in RealmWorks. Given the release date of August and the size of that product, I would not hold my breath for a RW release this year.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote