Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 3rd, 2017, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone,

We're planning to release our next Pathfinder update on Monday, but until then, I wanted to give everyone an early look at the features I mentioned in an earlier thread:
  1. Starting cash is more robustly implemented and can now be changed on the Classes tab, after you pick a class for the character. Level 1 PCs can have Hero Lab roll their starting cash (using the correct value for their class), while NPCs and higher-level PCs can have their starting cash automatically set to the appropriate values. (You can still set your own custom starting cash values if you want, and we're not changing any starting cash values on existing characters.)
  2. The Journal tab now shows a transaction log of the purchases and sales you've made, including the items that were bought and sold, and their cost.
  3. You can now customize the names, values and weights of the coins used for purchasing, and define up to 4 additional coin types (if you wanted to rename "gold pieces" to "steel pieces", for example, or to define additional coin types entirely). See the Mechanics tab in the editor for more information.

You can grab the beta here. If you have time this weekend, please take it for a test drive and let us know if you run into any problems!

(Please note: after importing this beta, you'll be able to go back to the January Pathfinder release by installing it from Hero Lab's updates mechanism. However, if you save a character using the beta, then load it with the January Pathfinder release, any starting cash for that character will be lost.

We recommend not saving your characters with this beta if you're planning to go back to the January release afterwards. If you don't plan to go back to the January release, you shouldn't have any problems.)
Colen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old March 4th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
[*]The Journal tab now shows a transaction log of the purchases and sales you've made, including the items that were bought and sold, and their cost.
Whoa, that's cool.

Are there other "easy" things being worked on? Like a red/green background when rolling a Nat1 or Nat20 combat roll on the iPad? It's the little things like this that make it so convenient.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Azhrei is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 4th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Starting Cash: The Starting Money display in the Classes tab seems to use a lot of the space there... and more of that is used for instructions (including "don't use this to add money after starting"). It seems to me that a one-time thing like starting cash should be a floating screen.. its footprint on the Classes tab reduced to a button "Set Starting Cash" or the like.

Purchase/Sale History: This is of little to no interest to me in general (though I expect people in organized play situations may find it very useful). That it requires me to continue to use the Journal as a means to enter transactions eliminates what little interest I had (I find the Journal mechanism clunky).

Renaming Coins: The process involved - creating a new Mechanic and possibly replacing an existing one - seems more convoluted and risky than is worth the benefits (at least to me).

Summary: Of the things I would find useful, it seems that the coin Gear Items solution provides me a much better result. With the Gear Items, I can create "Steel Piece" as a copy of Gold Piece far more easily than messing with a Mechanic. And I can accomplish tasks that are far more common that these enhancements don't address: allocation of money to specific containers, and transfer between characters in the portfolio.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 4th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Starting Cash: The Starting Money display in the Classes tab seems to use a lot of the space there... and more of that is used for instructions (including "don't use this to add money after starting"). It seems to me that a one-time thing like starting cash should be a floating screen.. its footprint on the Classes tab reduced to a button "Set Starting Cash" or the like.
I don't feel so strange now. My first reaction to this on the "Class" area and only after I selected a class was that it was TOO MUCH info in my face. I like minimalist UI stuff and this is just feels like too much info.

For something that I am going to use "one" time only for a character it is taking up allot of room in the UI. I much prefer the little existing area on the "Configure Your Hero" window. That is an area that is used pretty much rarely which makes sense as 99% of its settings you set one time.

By leaving this on the Class tab I guarantee you my players will constantly change there money using this section of HL instead of the journal.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; March 4th, 2017 at 03:26 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 5th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Playing around I found something that displays incorrectly I think. I have a level 1 character and took the Rich Parents trait. The starting cash area changed to this:
Starting Cash.jpg
A level 1 PC has no value on pg399 of the core rule book. The wording is assuming we have progressed past level 1 not taken a trait that set our starting cash.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 5th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Next issue. Same character as before with Rich Parents. I then added a 2nd level and it said my starting cash is 1000gp. The bad is it actually added 100gp to my character for just being 2nd level. I am sure my players WILL love getting free cash for leveling but as a DM not so much.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Another test case. This time created a level 3 Barbarian and I was correctly given 3,000gp for starting cash. I went and purchased some gear etc and was left with 391gp.

At this point I play the character and everything seems good but I then level up and add level 4 Barbarian. I was then listed as starting cash of 6,000gp and suddenly had 3,391gp to spend.

Its like a button needs to be added to say "I am finished character creation mode do not add free money anymore".

From playing with the journal it appears HL is assuming I will spend all my starting cash. If I got to the journal and subtract out -391 gp then the "starting cash" from the Classes tab goes away. But that is not realistic that a player spends 100% of there starting cash.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Another test case. This time created a level 3 Barbarian and I was correctly given 3,000gp for starting cash. I went and purchased some gear etc and was left with 391gp.

At this point I play the character and everything seems good but I then level up and add level 4 Barbarian. I was then listed as starting cash of 6,000gp and suddenly had 3,391gp to spend.

Its like a button needs to be added to say "I am finished character creation mode do not add free money anymore".

From playing with the journal it appears HL is assuming I will spend all my starting cash. If I got to the journal and subtract out -391 gp then the "starting cash" from the Classes tab goes away. But that is not realistic that a player spends 100% of there starting cash.
re: "I am done" button
That's part of the thinking behind my suggestion of a "Set Starting Cash" button instead of the current display. It should be something that only changes deliberately, and is presumably a one-time thing for most characters (individual GMs may have different habits, though, so leaving the button made sense to me).

re: Spending all Starting Cash
Yeah, in my experience, ALL of my players have always kept at least a little of their cash for initial play .. inns, taverns, etc.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Played around with the Mechanics section for redoing cash names including renaming gp, changing its weight, and adding a new coin type. I tried to zero weight the gp by adding a zero and nothing changed. If I changed that to -1 then I was able to zero out the gp weight. Zero did work for the new coin type I added.

Overall I see this working pretty easily. I am pretty sure I can add adjustments in to do different changes to make it easier for non-editors to work with. Plus this solves a very nice problem I was looking at for Starfinder. Great job on this!

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
re: "I am done" button
Thinking maybe the easy way to do this is if "any" transaction with cash happens lock down the Starting Cash UI section. Looks like we have a tag called Hero.StartCshFr that does just this. So maybe just apply that tag as soon as any item purchased/sold or money is earned/sold on the Journal tab.

That to me is a pretty good signal that I have finished setting the starting cash because I am buying gear.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote