Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

mirtos

Old February 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons View Post
We use maptools, but we don't run a maptools server, we use one of the publically available ones. The DM uses DM mode to provide updates, the players use player mode to receive them, which is pretty much equal to using a cloud service. In maptools case it's free, but if I were using something like D20Pro for the same thing it wouldn't be.

I'm expecting that we'll be using the product as soon as we can get our hands on it to enter our campaign data, and using the separate player window on a second screen to display that information to the players. I realize if your players are remotely located, this may be an issue. Perhaps a secondary screen sharing application to display the player screen until the cloud is available?
Sorry, my bad. I forgot about the publically available ones. I should say that most DMs (most whove ive worked with) run it in server mode. As long as your firewall doesnt have any problems, then running it is cake. Most of the people who talk about maptools learning curve have nothing to do with the server, but a lot of the complexities of the program itself. My problem is that a lot of people skype these days, so not everyone is face to face. I think i plan to stay at howler, but i just wanted to get an idea.
mirtos is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:04 PM
@mirtos: I didn't realize you were joining the Beta team. This whole Kickstarter thing is a whirlwind to keep up with, and I don't have a clue what level anybody has pledged at. Sorry for the confusion.

@Everyone Howling: Once the Kickstarter completes, March will be focused on getting a lot of things into place on the client side that are currently missing. April will be focused on getting the cloud limping, with a release targeted for the end of the month. There's a chunk of the cloud code in place already, but it still needs a good bit of work to get it limping. By limping, it will be enough to sync to the server and do the very basic things. From there, it will be steadily evolving, with intelligent player sync being added. Web-based access will not begin limping until sometime in May. A lot more detail will be provided to the new Beta team members when everyone comes on board in mid-March. I hope this is enough to help everyone make their decision!
rob is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Morrus hasn't gotten the funding from Kickstarter for the ENWorld rebuild, it looks like 14 days from the close. Though he's in GB, so not sure if that's a factor. Do you get the info on users for the survey immediately or does it wait until all the payments have cleared? I'm sadly expecting it'll be mid-may until you can get everything sorted for the new howlers.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:43 PM
The number of howlers isn't huge. If we have to, we'll send out an update asking all howlers to identify themselves to us via email. We can then verify the pledge level with the KS and get the NDAs and what-not underway pretty quickly.

So don't despair! We're pretty resourceful and will do our best to take care of things proactively!
rob is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 24th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
@mirtos: I didn't realize you were joining the Beta team. This whole Kickstarter thing is a whirlwind to keep up with, and I don't have a clue what level anybody has pledged at. Sorry for the confusion.

@Everyone Howling: Once the Kickstarter completes, March will be focused on getting a lot of things into place on the client side that are currently missing. April will be focused on getting the cloud limping, with a release targeted for the end of the month. There's a chunk of the cloud code in place already, but it still needs a good bit of work to get it limping. By limping, it will be enough to sync to the server and do the very basic things. From there, it will be steadily evolving, with intelligent player sync being added. Web-based access will not begin limping until sometime in May. A lot more detail will be provided to the new Beta team members when everyone comes on board in mid-March. I hope this is enough to help everyone make their decision!
It does, thanks for the info.
mirtos is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Jrandom

Old March 11th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I am very excited about Realm Worlds. My group went from everyone bringing a laptop to the session, to slowly everyone being remote. As people become more connected, I can see it easily becoming the norm (for match-making purposes alone).
Jrandom is offline   #36 Reply With Quote