Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Oops! Thanks for double-checking on this, since I glossed over an important couple of words in your previous post. [Sorry, I'm exhausted from the Kickstarter.]

The way Realm Works is setup is that you can use a second *monitor* attached to the same computer for display to the players. In your environment, it's a completely separate computer. I'm not sure what is driving you to use a separate computer, but it's a critical distinction. If the monitor can instead be attached to your GM computer, you're all set with Realm Works. If it has to remain separate machines, I'm pretty sure one of our developers said that can be made to work, but I can't say that with absolute certainty. The second computer could probably be setup as a slave to the GM machine and then could be used for display, but please don't quote me on that.

I'll see if I can reach the developer to check, but it's Saturday, so I don't know if he's reachable. And if you can eliminate the separate computer from the equation, it's a moot issue, since Realm Works will handle that beautifully already.
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
JTStorm

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM
I run Hero Lab on both machines. The 'Player' machine has just the group info which they can use. It makes it easier for them to make adjustments while we play without slowing things down on my end. The 'GM' machine has the group and encounters.

Either way, it's not a deal breaker. I have an old monitor I may be able to use if needed. I'll be signing up for the Kickstarter tonight. Thanks for taking the time to answer!
JTStorm is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:26 PM
@JTStorm: Here's an article identifying a couple of solutions that you could use to turn a separate computer into a secondary monitor. I'm not sure if this would work for your specific needs, but it's definitely a place to start.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_1...econd-monitor/

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
JTStorm

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks Rob! I bookmarked the site. Signed up for the Kickstarter as well. I'm looking forward to July! Good luck!
JTStorm is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:15 PM
Am I hearing you right Rob, that the only way the "players" can connect to RealmsWork is via the cloud? Im asking because every player brings a laptop over to my house and we do things around the table, but also via a network in my house.

I was under the impression that as long as everyone shared the same file, (ie: its on a shared network somewhere) the DM would get full access, and the players would see what ive revealed. Is this doable without the cloud? or is this feature only with the cloud?
mirtos is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Am I hearing you right Rob, that the only way the "players" can connect to RealmsWork is via the cloud? Im asking because every player brings a laptop over to my house and we do things around the table, but also via a network in my house.

I was under the impression that as long as everyone shared the same file, (ie: its on a shared network somewhere) the DM would get full access, and the players would see what ive revealed. Is this doable without the cloud? or is this feature only with the cloud?
There is no "sharing the same file" with Realm Works. The product works completely different from Hero Lab.

The details on this are pretty well summed up in FAQ entries #22 and #30 on the main page of the Kickstarter. Please start by taking a look at those and then let me know if you have further questions about how it all will work. If you do, I'll be happy answer them as best I can.
rob is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
ok, so until you have the DM webserver running if we arent at the same location, the only way to really do this, is to use the cloud, is that correct? I guess i was imagining a server running on the DMs side if they didnt use the cloud. Or some form of shared file, and not assuming a second monitor. It seems to me that since a big portion of realms works is exposing content, not just organizing content, then the cloud becomes essential, not just optional.
mirtos is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:16 PM
So the only way to synch databases is from the cloud? There is no way to synch with a non cloud connection?
mirtos is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
Quote:
ok, so until you have the DM webserver running if we arent at the same location, the only way to really do this, is to use the cloud, is that correct?
Correct.

Quote:
I guess i was imagining a server running on the DMs side if they didnt use the cloud. Or some form of shared file, and not assuming a second monitor.
If I'm understanding correctly, you're basically thinking that we would implement a complete, standalone server to run on the GM's machine that includes all the logic for doing everything within Realm Works. This is a capability that few GMs would have the technical know-how to setup in the first place. And if we did that for only $35, the support costs alone would consume at least $35 per installation, on average, leaving us with no way to recover the initial investment in the product or even continue development from here. That's an untenable model, since everyone working on the project expects us to pay their salary every month.

Quote:
It seems to me that since a big portion of realms works is exposing content, not just organizing content, then the cloud becomes essential, not just optional.
That really depends. Based on a variety of comments on the Kickstarter, many GMs only care about organizing and managing the material for themselves. The sharing of content is only of concern to them during the game session, in which case the existing Player View mechanisms are all they need or want. Roughly one-third of the Kickstarter backers have opted for no cloud, which seems to support this assertion.

If, however, the GM wants to empower the players to have access to the revealed content independently and/or outside of the game session, the cloud does become essential. So it really boils down to the style of play for the gaming group and what the GM wants to provide to his players. We've tried to provide a solid framework in Realm Works that supports the full spectrum of GM needs and play styles, making the product valuable to everyone instead of a small, targeted subset.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Correct.
If I'm understanding correctly, you're basically thinking that we would implement a complete, standalone server to run on the GM's machine that includes all the logic for doing everything within Realm Works. This is a capability that few GMs would have the technical know-how to setup in the first place. And if we did that for only $35, the support costs alone would consume at least $35 per installation, on average, leaving us with no way to recover the initial investment in the product or even continue development from here. That's an untenable model, since everyone working on the project expects us to pay their salary every month.
I respectfully disagree that it would be untenable and that there would even be support needed for local servers. Or that it would take away from what you provide with the cloud. The cloud as you've pointed out offers a lot more than just storage. Im simply pointing out that there should be a way of synching data between DMs and Players if not using a cloud. The server/client was just a simple approach. The cloud offers a lot more (including backing up of data). As far as support, a simple server wouldnt require much at all. Sorry, but I have to bring up Maptools as an example. Every DM that uses Maptools starts it in server mode.

I just wasnt aware of the fact that some features are dependent on the cloud and internet connections.

From what I've read the product wont have cloud until around April, is that correct?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by mirtos; February 23rd, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
mirtos is offline   #20 Reply With Quote