Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

caseybcrocker

Old July 17th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Hello!

I want to start off expressing my gratitude for this product and this forum. You've all be so helpful every time I ask a question. So, thank you!

Now, on to my question: I'm trying to level up a 20th level character and I can't. I'm getting a message saying something along the lines of, "after reaching 20th level, add Epic Boons instead of levels."

That would be excellent if I wasn't trying to level up a specifical class of my character.

Is there any way around this, or can I not progress in a class any further using Hero Lab?
caseybcrocker is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old July 17th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Since the 5th Edition rules do not allow any levelling beyond total level 20, the 5e SRD from Hero Lab isn't designed to allow any additional levels beyond that. I have no idea what kind of coding would be required, but I'd bet it's something LWD would have to create, not something the community could do.

For what it's worth, gameplay at that level is insane anyway; everyone's basically a demigod. I live in fear of the DM work that will be required when my party gets into the upper teens.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
caseybcrocker

Old July 17th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Good to know. Thank you, Fenris447!
caseybcrocker is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old July 18th, 2019, 06:58 AM
It might be possible to create a set of Epic Boons that apply the equivalent of a level up. You put a pre-req of the level required to level up on each (ie. Level 20 to get the level 21 epic boon) then apply the level benefits through scripting.

I've added the Epic Boons to the Community Pack, but never thought to look into this idea till now.

I've been trying to add other stuff like Blessings, but that is currently on hold (like so many other things I have been trying to work on) . . .

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
caseybcrocker

Old July 18th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that would be really cool to be able to add blessings and the like, but I also get the priorities of other responsibilities, etc.

I may need to do this character the "old school/classic" pencil and paper way. Though it would be a lot of extra work, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks for your input, Mergon.
caseybcrocker is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 24th, 2019, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybcrocker View Post
Yeah, that would be really cool to be able to add blessings and the like, but I also get the priorities of other responsibilities, etc.

I may need to do this character the "old school/classic" pencil and paper way. Though it would be a lot of extra work, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks for your input, Mergon.
Unfortunately the Core 5e rules, not just the SRD, do not allow you take levels past 20th. Epic Levels are handled by adding epic boons in the Dungeon Master's Guide. They don't currently allow you to keep taking levels past 20th and they haven't released anything along the lines of expanding this content yet as far as I know. Some 3rd party companies do handle it a little differently but the base system is epic boons for 5th edition. It's not throwing an error, this is how the game system was developed and its intentionally set up this way.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
caseybcrocker

Old July 25th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Yeah. I learned that upon doing some more research in the DMG. Thanks for your help, RavenX!
caseybcrocker is offline   #7 Reply With Quote