Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Sword_of_Spirit

Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:12 PM
My realm is huge. It's basically a persistent world database for all of my D&D games. It encompasses worlds, planes, cities, NPCs, all that stuff.

My database backup (mostly that realm, though there are a couple others I played around with) maxed out in size at 124,576 KB quite some time ago, and hasn't grown since then. However, the more content I put in, the slower running it gets.

I'm assuming there is some sort of compression tech that is allowing it to stay at that maximum size?

I'm also somewhat concerned that at some point it's just going to get too big to work with effectively (tabs taking too long to load, etc).

Since having an ever growing universe database is sort of the whole point of the software for me, this is a bit of a concern. So I guess this post is a combination inquiry into program limits, and prospective suggestion to increase them.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:18 PM
Split the realms out into individual games. Now that we have import/export there is no reason to run the way you are operating. I had the same issue myself.

Make sure Realm Works / C:\ is running on a SSD is also a highly recommended upgrade.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:30 PM
Also, try using the "Compress Database" option to see if it removes all the redundant data from your realm file.
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 22nd, 2017, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit View Post
My database backup (mostly that realm, though there are a couple others I played around with) maxed out in size at 124,576 KB quite some time ago, and hasn't grown since then. However, the more content I put in, the slower running it gets.)
By "backup", do you mean "copy of my local database (master.realm) file"? That's what the "Backup Database" button in Realm Works does: it makes a copy of your local database file, which means all of your (currently downloaded) realms. That's also what Realm Works puts in your Documents folder every time you start up, if you haven't disabled that feature.

It stays the same size because the database engine grows the file in chunks. It'll stay the same size until the next time it needs more space, when it'll grow by a large amount and stay that size until it needs more space again.

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 23rd, 2017, 03:42 AM
BTW 124 Megabytes is not that large. You can probably alleviate most of your issues with the hardware upgrade suggested above.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old April 23rd, 2017, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
BTW 124 Megabytes is not that large. You can probably alleviate most of your issues with the hardware upgrade suggested above.
That's a comparatively small database. I'm currently at 3.5 GB, before compression it was 4.5 GB.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 23rd, 2017, 02:19 PM
9.45 GB currently so yes it can go alot bigger.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old April 24th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Split the realms out into individual games. Now that we have import/export there is no reason to run the way you are operating. I had the same issue myself.
Well there really is a reason--I need everything to be linkable. For instance, we have a current campaign with a group of plane and world traveling characters. I also keep a session journal for the campaign (using a custom article). So there are all sorts of links all over the place.

Now, a modular realm loading capability, where realms could be linked and at the end of a session you could synchronize them (ie, things like detect content links between them) might be nice, as it could prevent loading stuff that you weren't currently working with.

Quote:
Make sure Realm Works / C:\ is running on a SSD is also a highly recommended upgrade.
Yep, my new computer with an SSD is much better, but they still slow down after a while.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #8 Reply With Quote