Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer Fantasy 8th Ed.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Ghaz

Old July 1st, 2005, 05:47 PM
The data file owner is a volunteer. He's not getting paid for any of this. Add to that the product never promised any datafiles would be provided.
Ghaz is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
dgirolamo

Old July 3rd, 2005, 05:25 AM
I understand that the data file owner is a volunteer. However, there is an inherent responsibility involved in taking on that role of data file owner. As such, you can't do the job half way.
If someone offers to give you a ride, it is their responsibility not to leave you off part way to your destination when you could have gotten a ride from someone else.
dgirolamo is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
deathlynx
Volunteer Data File Author

Old July 3rd, 2005, 07:41 AM
Said Gnoblar list is by no means official, which means even under the assumption that he has any kind of responsibility
to the files he does not have one to this army...Especially with GW (but with other games as well) trying to maintain
every set of rules that they publish, whether official or not, is a daunting task for a single person...There's a reason that
the 40K files are done by comittee...

It also requires a financial investment on our parts (yes I'm a file author for other systems)...Now for the most part we
own the relivant rulebooks already since we like the games we code for...We're volunteering our time which we wouldn't
do if we didn't love the game and desire to make life easier for other players...Unfortunatelly since we're volunteers
it also means that we don't receieve anything for our efforts (except praise and grief)...We have to spend money to make
sure our rules are up to date, and when you are talking about game systems as big as GW's that ends up a lot of
money...the implication that an author has to own all of the rules means they either have to work very hard to support
not only their hobby but also their datatfile or they have to be independantly wealthy...And since most of us work we also
have to find time in our schedules to write the files in a reasonable timeframe and find some time to play ourselves...

This wasn't intended as a rant but I guess it turned into one...Please let me end by saying I appreciate all of the effort
put forth by all of the data file authors whether I play the game or not...And especially thank you to Robert as I get more
use out of WF6 then any other!
deathlynx is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Ghaz

Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
And again, there is no 'responsibility' for being the data file owner. There is no contract or rules that says he must do this or that. Only his own conscience. I've seen more than one data file owner quit because people couldn't accept that fact and kept badgering them about petty little things. If you don't like the job he's doing, then step up and do the job yourself or else let him do it in the way he feels is best.
Ghaz is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
harkan

Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:34 PM
First off apologies to robert for jumping into another author's forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgirolamo
I understand that the data file owner is a volunteer. However, there is an inherent responsibility involved in taking on that role of data file owner.
You are claiming an unwritten and unstated 'responsibility' for a data file author - please remember that all the authors are volunteers as Ghaz said, and as such there is no responsibility for including any sub lists etc or setting a datafile up in any particular way that a user wants or to be brutally honest including any particular lists in any way shape or form.

Quote:
If someone offers to give you a ride, it is their responsibility not to leave you off part way to your destination when you could have gotten a ride from someone else.
To continue your euphemism, if someone offers you a ride to get you from A to B then half way through you decide that you want to visit C, D and E via a particular route. You can get to the 'destination' with the files as they are, however you want a new one after accepting the 'lift'.

Quote:
Though I have provided some info, the data file owner should be accessing this material and incorporating it into the data file.
And to extend the euphemism even more, it is like asking for a lift to London, but not bothering telling the person where in London you want to go to, then complaining that they should buy a guide book to get to your destination!

Basically what it boils down to is you are throwing your teddy in a corner because a volunteer who does have a real life outside coding the datafiles hasnt produced a sub list for you even though they don't have the info available!
harkan is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old July 7th, 2005, 04:28 PM
A couple things that do need noting about the OK-part of the latest list, in my opinion, are: Possibly changing the magic from an item to a 'normal', if that's the word, magic list? And the Scraplauncher, which is called a 'squad' in the amry list, rather than by unit name as the other entries are.
DannyBoy2k is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
robert

Old July 18th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I will put these units on the list of things to add.

dannyboy2k:

Quote:
Possibly changing the magic from an item to a 'normal', if that's the word, magic list?
I believe all mages in the ogre army can cast the same spells, and dont need to learn any? in that case the normal spell list isnt needed, since they can just all refer to the same one.

the scraplauncher thing is a bug. :-)
robert is offline   #17 Reply With Quote