Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Paris.Crenshaw

Old June 11th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I'd love to have a way to create preset "defaults", so I could quickly shift between campaigns that use different sources. I have one campaign that uses all of my data sets, another requirement that uses only official Paizo sources, and a third that uses only the Core Rulebook and Ultimate Combat. Being able to quickly select a group of settings from a dropdown list would make it much faster when starting a portfolio for each of those campaigns.

I apologize for cluttering the boards, if there is already a way to do this, aside from creating blank portfolios or having multiple installations on the same computer. If that is the case, I'd appreciate assistance in learning how to do it.

Thanks!
Paris.Crenshaw is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old June 11th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I'm in the same situation. As a work around, instead of opening HL and then File > Open the character, I double-click on the character file I'm going to play. This seems to load only the options that were selected when I saved that character. When I create a new character, I only enable the options that are valid for that particular campaign.
Krothos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Paris.Crenshaw

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Hey, Krothos. When you create a character, whether you open the portfolio with HL>File>Open or by double-clicking on the portfolio file, the settings that are loaded are the ones you had when you last saved the character.

In my case, I have all of the available data sets. For each of the three different types of characters I have to have widely different settings, and checking and unchecking boxes for every product available is tedious. If I could set up three sets of preferences, I could quickly apply the data sets and special rules I need and move on to creating the characters.

I hope that makes more sense.
Paris.Crenshaw is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Yes, Paris, you are correct. And I understood where you were coming from. My bad that I didn't express that properly. You would have to select your options each time you create a new character. I was just suggesting that you should only need to select your options each time you create a new character. For myself, not really an issue cause I create 1 character at a time for each campaign. However, if you're like my friend who has many bazillion characters, each saved at levels 1-20 as individual files, that I can see why you would request the option for multiple defaults.

Again, sorry for the misunderstand.
Krothos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Paris.Crenshaw

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Ha! I'm glad we were able to sort that out. It sounds like we were on the same page, but writing in slightly different languages. :P

As a GM, I use Hero Lab to create many characters. I also use Hero Lab as part of my design work as a freelancer for Paizo, so being able to quickly shift between rulesets would be extremely helpful for me.
Paris.Crenshaw is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I just wanted to make sure everyone posting here was aware of the "Duplicate Game System" option in the Tools menu. Each duplicate of a game system can have its own user content and has its own default settings.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Paris.Crenshaw

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Thank you, Mathias! That had not occurred to me. I didn't really know what to do with that feature when I first looked at it, and then forgot it existed! I'll check that out.

How does that work inconjunction with the iPad app? Does the app care as long as both systems are using Pathfinder?
Paris.Crenshaw is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:51 AM
The iPad will use the settings on a particular character opened there, as long as it was created in a Pathfinder game system (any copy of that system), but if you're creating a character on the iPad itself, think of that as another of your duplicate game systems, with its own default settings.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Paris.Crenshaw

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Got it. Thank you, again. I was afraid I might be asking for something that already exists, but I didn't know where to look for it. I was thinking of something like the "Use Defaults" and "Game Defaults" buttons in the Hero Settings, but with a selection of pre-set options that the user can define.

Now I'm anxious to get home and try out the duplicate game system feature.
Paris.Crenshaw is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Just to check that we are on the same page. But when you say "Blank Characters" in your first post your talking about making a Template Character to use right?

So for my own games I have different settings for each campaign. So I make a campaign template.por character where I set all the correct books and "houserules". I then send that to all my players to start from.

For my own NPCs I have that same .hl file and I open it up and then just do "Save As" and make my NPC. This allows me to have dozens of different "pre-set" Configure Your Hero settings. I think its pretty easy.

I don't use the duplicate game system as I already have a dozen pathfinder Game Systems setup in HL to support different "packs".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote