Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer Fantasy 8th Ed.

Notices

ST4R5CRE4M

Old February 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM
i tried to mess around with the files that were being worked on and couldnt figure it out. from what i understand the 2.2 has been completed. does anybody know how to convert the file over if possible. heres the link http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/anarchistica/files/
ST4R5CRE4M is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
GreenTea

Old February 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Scuttle View Post
The Army Builder owners could EASILY fix this problem with the Data Files if they really wanted to. I'm not going to comment on how - they know how.

This revolving door of good intentions and partial efforts on all your behalfs are appreciated - but this situation is pathetic.
I agree. I'm really wondering why I purchased the software, since I have yet to use it for over a year. Ever since my purchase, the Chaos hasn't been correctly represented with AB.
GreenTea is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
studderingdave

Send a message via AIM to studderingdave

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
its sad, AB has been on point for so long (at least IMO) but now they seem to be slipping uo with the recent army books, waiting this long for WoC i wonder how long ill be waiting for lizardmen, my main fantasy army, to be added to the files.
studderingdave is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
Broxigar

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Well, I think the main problem is the fact that no one knows how to manipulate the creation system. If I knew how to use the links and the creation system better, I would have made a lot more progress on the data files. But there is also the fact that this is all volunteer work. Life seems to get in the way sometimes and when no one else tries to pick up where the files are, they do not get finished. If one of the experienced creators made a how to video or document that could help the rest of us understand the somewhat obscure way of creating army files, the work would go a lot faster. But ultimately everyone that complains about the files not being finished and about army builder in general are self defeating. They give up before they even begin. If they really wanted army builder files, they would contribute. Everyone seems to think that they bought a complete program with all the files for every army list. But they just bought the program that allows them access to and manipulation of said files. The files are still created by fans. So if people want the files so badly, get off your butts and start working on the lists. The creation program came with army builder, so there really is no excuse.

current projects:
Bel'arok the chosen champion of Tzeentch
and his chaos horde(WHF+WH40k)
Shadow Hunters Space Marine Chapter
Army Builder Warriors of Chaos files
Broxigar is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
gilvagor

Old February 12th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Well said Broxigar. That being said I'm in the process of redoing the Chaos Files. Though I have almost no clue what I'm doing I'm gonna get all the info put in then see if I can find someone to make it work.
gilvagor is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
roachvan

Old February 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Maybe the Fantasy players need to follow the 40K player in regards to the data files.
They setup a site and have different people working on each army. This way it's not all up to one person to fix and create new files.
Each army has at least 1 maintainer.

Just a thought.
roachvan is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
GreenTea

Old February 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxigar View Post
If they really wanted army builder files, they would contribute. Everyone seems to think that they bought a complete program with all the files for every army list. But they just bought the program that allows them access to and manipulation of said files. The files are still created by fans. So if people want the files so badly, get off your butts and start working on the lists. The creation program came with army builder, so there really is no excuse.
No, Broxigar-- this is exactly the *root* of the problem. The data files are not completely set up in a way that allows many people to work on them at once, beyond just data entry for the stats. There also needs to be a cohesive, coordinated effort in how the data files will be set up in order for the consumption of said data to work.

Since AB is written in such a way that there are multiple ways of doing the same thing, one person needs to direct the effort of everyone who is volunteering to help out, so that the final files all play nice with each other. What we have instead is partial progress being made on multiple fronts by multiple individuals, each hitting walls because they're either inexperienced or basing their work off of someone else's paradigm.

I'm not singling you or anyone else out who is working to help out-- in fact, I'm really humbled by the effort that everyone has already put into the project. Regardless, this effort belies the fact that there is no coordinated effort from a solitary individual who should be responsible; and that individual should be a person who is directly benefiting from the work done by the volunteers-- namely, one of the developers from LW.

I hope everyone, especially the folk at LW, understand this difference. It is from this exclusively that so many people have frustration. I myself work at a company that has dedicated software engineers writing proprietary code, but we don't have everyone go off individually to try and write their own version-- it's a team effort. If that's how LW expects data files to be made in the absence of an experienced, dedicated, solitary volunteer, then the projects will never get done in any sort of a timely manner.

Thanks for listening.
GreenTea is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
karlhunt

Send a message via MSN to karlhunt Send a message via Yahoo to karlhunt

Old February 13th, 2009, 07:23 AM
The issue we have is that up untill now the data files have esentially been maintained by a single person. What this creates is a situation where if one person goes somewhere, say on vacation, the entire project gets shut down. That is the issue with a heircal model. It is better when everyone will always be in place but if that one top tier gets taken out than the whole system falls apart. Look at the war in Iraq, the Americans have been over there fighting since 1990 and are still unable to stop the "terrorist" (read freedom fighter) movement. This is because each cell opperates independantly of one another toward a common goal. What we need to do is set up a central file that all users can access to do updates such that if I take an hour and get the core troops of a race done, I then return the file to a central location so that you, in your spare time, can sit down and do the rares. This affords us a cooperative climate instead of waiting for one person to do all the work.
karlhunt is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
GreenTea

Old February 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhunt View Post
The issue we have is that up untill now the data files have esentially been maintained by a single person. What this creates is a situation where if one person goes somewhere, say on vacation, the entire project gets shut down. That is the issue with a heircal model. It is better when everyone will always be in place but if that one top tier gets taken out than the whole system falls apart. Look at the war in Iraq, the Americans have been over there fighting since 1990 and are still unable to stop the "terrorist" (read freedom fighter) movement. This is because each cell opperates independantly of one another toward a common goal. What we need to do is set up a central file that all users can access to do updates such that if I take an hour and get the core troops of a race done, I then return the file to a central location so that you, in your spare time, can sit down and do the rares. This affords us a cooperative climate instead of waiting for one person to do all the work.
We're talking about the same core issue; a single point of failure. Additionally, having no one who really knows the system (at least, those who are writing about it on this thread), is another weakness. The latter can be remedied through training.

Regardless, Robert posted on another thread that he (?) is almost finished with the WoC list, so this is all moot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert
yes i am still here! sorry for the v long delay :~( and thanks to all whove stepped up to the plate... i am working on the files now, the warriors of chaos will be included in "official" files soon. the lizardman book will be included in a few weeks :~)
GreenTea is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
Spyrit29

Old February 13th, 2009, 07:46 AM
As it stands, I am trying to learn how to use this software so I can help on projects as well. Because I benefit from this aswell. I love using the software and would like to have the files to use.

Anyone have any tutorials on how to get going?
Spyrit29 is offline   #110 Reply With Quote