Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

KapaaIan

Old May 20th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Where do you guys put an overall world map? Planet doesn't seem to have the right stuff, and geographical region tops out at continent. I might be being perfectionist but feel like I'm missing it somewhere...
KapaaIan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old May 21st, 2014, 04:21 AM
Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct way to do it, but here is how I did mine :

- I created a topic in Places, as celestial. I there linked the image of the universe with all my planets.

- I created another topic for each known planet in the universe.

- I used the "contained topic" to include every planet under the solar map. Now I have a main "Universe" topic, and inside it, all the names for the planets.

- To go even further, I even recreated every link between planets with a jump gate using the relationship editor.

The result is that now, I can go anywhere, from anywhere in my game setting. I can click on a planet to have its information, and see where, from this planet, the players can go directly to. On the universe map, I can click any planet, and it brings me the details on this planet.

I don't know if it's the right method, but this is how I mapped mine.

I understood you wanted a full planet, but maybe the same logic could help you the same way it helped me with the Universe ?Hope this help

Vampyre
Vampyre is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
KapaaIan

Old May 21st, 2014, 05:17 AM
No, more a place to have the actual main world map (think whole FF map or something). In the georgraphical region tag menu, it goes as large as continent. Just seems like world is missing. The "planet" place doesn't have a place for a map (I know I can add it) but it doesn't quite seem to match right.
KapaaIan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 21st, 2014, 06:21 AM
For any game, you can use geographical. World general geography and climate overview ---> continents ---> mountains/forests/swamps/rivers/hills ---> Mt Doom. I go back and forth with tags, suffixes and containers for grouping mountains and forests, etc. I think I like the containers best so I can always see the groupings without having to sort or filter but I'm still on the fence.

For most non sci-fi games, there's only one planet. Adapt the planetary category to your needs.

For most non sci-fi games, there's only one planet. You can add it to the Welcome screen that overviews your game. I've started messing around with this section and it works nicely for a player map as well as a general jumping off point to the rest of the campaign material.

And of course, you can create a new topic that fits your needs precisely.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Viral Platypus

Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:25 AM
You can also add a snippet into the landing page of the realm and put the world map there. I did that so hopefully people coming into the realm on the web interface and my players would see it when they viewed the overall description of the campaign.
Viral Platypus is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral Platypus View Post
You can also add a snippet into the landing page of the realm and put the world map there. I did that so hopefully people coming into the realm on the web interface and my players would see it when they viewed the overall description of the campaign.
This is where I have the map of the entire sector, with pins in every planet leading to topics about them, with detail in contained topics below.

It just seemed a good way to do it ("PLANETS->CITIES" with a main map in the landing page), rather than wasting a level of hierarchy to have "SECTOR->PLANETS->CITIES". There's only one sector and it's just one map, so to have to always click that one level of hierarchy struck me as a bit pointless.
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote