Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Exmortis

Old October 1st, 2019, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
You left out the true reasons, small (very) business and very poor health of lead developer of software for almost 3 years. The software has not been around for 10 years
You left out how LWD blamed Paizo for the delays.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 1st, 2019, 05:09 AM
Quote:
You still GET the content though.. it is not going to go away. So you will be able to use said content like you would any data that you enter yourself. So the value is still there. They just aren't producing more for RW is all. So I would not say that you "blew" the money.. because it is still your content that you can use.
Yes I get the content for what is essentially now a dead product, or at least on life support. Yes I know its just shelved, but I have been around since the VIC20 days, products shelved end up Nuked by Duke Forever.

Opening the market, with the intent of bleeding the customer then shelving the product is bad faith. This may or may not have been intended but it sure feels like it. RW has a sorted history in its short 7ish years, I defended heavily for more than 5, but at some time you sit back and realize your on a raft that is being pushed further and further from shore, when you were told it was tied to the dock.

Very lonely out there in the blue.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old October 1st, 2019, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
there is still the possibility that they will reanimate the project at a later stage, when the business model works better again?

Who knows, maybe they will sell it, Iam sure that you can earn a lot from this tool by implemententing lets say top 10 of the requsted features. Calendar, web and some player functionality sure would help in sales. anyways, I will also continue to work with RW. Win 10 is there, Ill be able to do a bare bones export in the worst case...

Still crossing the fingers that eventually Lwd or someone else will pickup RW.
They will never sell it, because the code is such a mess that only Rob understands it, they told us more than once that they have nobody else inside LW who is able to fix bugs... imagine how is it sellable to another dev team.
Cammagno is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old October 1st, 2019, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Rob said in the update that the servers will remain up. FWIW, my understanding is that nothing is going away - there's just not going to be anything new.
He / They also said that they will not stop developing RW, in the - even recent - past.
So, what he says now has the same value: "the servers will remain up... for now". Furthermore, it seems that LW is not sailing in good water, so we have to consider the possibility that the whole company will sink in a foreseable future. And if it sinks, there will be no more servers.

Last edited by Cammagno; October 1st, 2019 at 05:49 AM.
Cammagno is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old October 1st, 2019, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I guess you already know that there is a tool which can be used to eventually get you to the web, via create realm export, run tool to convert it to HTML, upload HTML files to web site.
Most definitely Farling. I'm a big fan of your importer and exporter tools (see this post: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63267). My problem is not having the skills to necessarily upload the html to a site...

D100 for life!
gloranphile is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 1st, 2019, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
You left out how LWD blamed Paizo for the delays.
I don't remember seeing that. I remember them (LWD) taking the blame for their own delays and the reasons behind them.. but not putting the blame on Paizo at all.

While it might sound like I am defending LWD.. I am not. I am saddened by them not furthering RW as I have been around since the beginning of the Beta and have many many years of data in my realms. I will miss the potential that RW could have had.
Nikmal is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 1st, 2019, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Not sure where you are going with this though? It is true that you can selectively import/export data to and from your realm that you created. But that is not what was being said above. He was saying that the value of the money he spent to buy product for his realm is no longer there. I disagreed as he is using said product and therefor the value is there.

The data he entered can still be exported if he should choose to do so though.
"So you will be able to use said content like you would any data that you enter yourself."

That statement is not true.

If I enter all the data myself, and export it, I get a full export.

If I enter part of the data myself, and import, say, the bestiary, I can't import just the monsters I want. I have to import the whole bestiary. Then if I don't want the whole bestiary, I have to delete what I don't want.

Then if I have a complete adventure, and I want a complete export, I can't get that.

The two prospects are not equivalent. I'm saying no more and no less than that.
EightBitz is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 1st, 2019, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
"So you will be able to use said content like you would any data that you enter yourself."

That statement is not true.

If I enter all the data myself, and export it, I get a full export.

If I enter part of the data myself, and import, say, the bestiary, I can't import just the monsters I want. I have to import the whole bestiary. Then if I don't want the whole bestiary, I have to delete what I don't want.

Then if I have a complete adventure, and I want a complete export, I can't get that.

The two prospects are not equivalent. I'm saying no more and no less than that.
And this was true with all content from the RW Content Catalog they released for us to purchase if we wanted to do so. We knew that going in that this was the case. That doesn't mean that you still can't use the data. As you are actually USING it even if it is full or partially doing so. It is in use.
Nikmal is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old October 1st, 2019, 08:15 AM
Sad day, however the writing was on the wall when it was clear that the user interface was not a priority for the dev team.

ok, now that realmworks is dead does anyone have a suggestion for a web platform that can easily accept content exported from realmworks?

anyone?

thanks!
adzling is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old October 1st, 2019, 08:41 AM
I've been reluctant to say it loudly because I like to be supportive, but it's been my thinking for quite awhile that Realm Works is never going to go anywhere with Lone Wolf. They just don't have the resources to keep working on it, obviously. It also seems like they barely have the resources to work on Hero Lab Online and Hero Lab Classic. Hero Lab Online already seems to be floundering.

Honestly I think the only hope for Lone Wolf and its products is a merger with another game company, or doing something like selling Realm Works to another company to make some money that they can put into completing Hero Lab Online.

I'm curious if DriveThruRPG would be open to host user-generated Realm Works content. We're obviously never going to get it into the Content Market itself. I might experiment with that down the road myself.

Last edited by Murrdox; October 1st, 2019 at 08:44 AM.
Murrdox is offline   #50 Reply With Quote