Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bobrunnicles

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Noticed while playing some 40K the other day that the notes on the roster I printed out for my Imperial Fists says, under the Special Rules footnotes:

"And They Shall Know No Fear" - Automatically pass morale tests, can test if under 50%, conditions apply.

Problem is, that statement is missing a crucial part of the text, according to my Space Marines codex - it should actually read "Automatically pass morale tests to regroup." It does *not* mean every marine out there is essentially fearless! For one thing that would make Combat Tactics redundant (there would be no non-fearless marines!). Funny thing is I spoke to one of the Rulez Boyz at mail order about this to make sure I wasn't missing any errata or anything and he thought it worked the way it's currently described in AB too - he had to go and pull his own copy of the codex off the shelf to verify that it's not.

I realize I may be shooting myself in the foot (but not really - the Fists are my backup army, Guard are my 'real' army right now) but who is responsible for correcting this? Several Marine players in my group refused to believe that AB was 'wrong' until I produced the codex and showed them the actual rule....
bobrunnicles is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
fyrebyrd
Volunteer Data File Author

Old September 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I'll make mention to shaggai (the HMFIC for marines).

I posted a report regarding this on our website HERE.

Fyrebyrd
AB40k Beta Tester

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.

Last edited by fyrebyrd; September 28th, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
fyrebyrd is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
shaggai
Volunteer Data File Author

Old September 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I replied to the comment on our message board:

This is why you always carry around the hardcover rulebook, it always makes a better impact when you slap people over the head with it...

The 40K files for AB are NOT, and should NOT, be considered a replacement for the actual codex. And, if there is a discrepancy between the files and the codex, the codex is always correct (updated FAQs notwithstanding). And anyone who does decide to argue this fact, give them the aformentioned slap or try to borrow the 8th edition Fantasy rulebook and lay them totally out.

Any text given by the 40K files should be considered as a friendly reminder as to most of the necessary information, it may not necessarily be a full text description. Again you are expected to have the codex and be able to reference the rule in question.
shaggai is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bobrunnicles

Old September 28th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks - and no need to borrow a hardcover WFB8, I have a copy of my own. Just left it at home that day as I was playing 40K lol

Anyway, any chance we can add the phrase 'to regroup' to the text? No rush, I guess whenever the next update is would be a good time to squeeze it in, just would seem to make sense to avoid any similar issues in the future....I'm sure we're not the only ones that have had this come up.

Oh, and I guess it's not totally the Marine player's fault, ours is a fairly new group with a lot of new players and most people using Marines were doing so as a 'temp army' (of my own collection) to get some play experience while they work on their own.

Thanks!

Bob

P.S. I went over to the AB40K site and registered but I can't get to my home email from work (damn firewall) to verify my registration. Should be good once I get home though
bobrunnicles is offline   #4 Reply With Quote