Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Astraithious

Old June 26th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Hello there I am a DM looking for a system to put my universe into and detail our adventures but also show players the information without revealing too much at a time.

So I have to ask with no player edition out right now can i show maps areas only they are supposed to see, information about the town, etc. I really like the look of this so far but I do notice there is no print option and I have no idea of what the session mode would do for me, thank you to anybody who replies
Astraithious is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I really don't understand why people keep harping about the no-print option, really doesn't make any sense to me.

Now, if there was additional content available either first or third-party, then it might be an issue, but due to the fact that I'm typing everything in, don't I already have access to it to print if I wanted to.

All that aside, there is a player-view that you can toss onto a 2nd monitor should you choose to do that, and it works quite well. (You do use dual monitors when you play, right?)

BoomerET (Howler)

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Even if RW never had a calendar, never came out with player access, never allowed sharing of content and never had another update, it would be worth it. That said, the devs have affirmed all of those are actively being worked on and I think some are in beta testing for pending release.

Printing and exporting material would certainly be useful but are not deal breakers. You can read through the forums and see that many of us harp on the little things; but overall, I'm willing to bet none of us would give it up now that we've seen what it can do. Being able to organize the game behind the scenes, automatically link places and people and things, identify who like who and to outline plotlines is simply invaluable.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraithious View Post
Hello there I am a DM looking for a system to put my universe into and detail our adventures but also show players the information without revealing too much at a time.

So I have to ask with no player edition out right now can i show maps areas only they are supposed to see, information about the town, etc. I really like the look of this so far but I do notice there is no print option and I have no idea of what the session mode would do for me, thank you to anybody who replies
As BoomerET said, there's a Player View you can use. It is designed to be on a player-facing dedicated screen, so it might not work for you if you don't have a second screen for it. You can use it to reveal parts of maps and bits of information from your entries as you go; that all works. The Session mode remembers what changes while it's enabled, so the GM and players can review what happened last week (or whatever).

My recommendation is to only buy it if you like what you see so far and you'd like to learn more by working with it. You can enter your campaign(s), work with the Player View, and keep track of what happens in each session. If you mostly want to use it as a personal way to keep track of your campaign, it's right there for you.

Unfortunately, there's some major missing features (sharing, two of the three planned clients, game world calendars, printing/exporting, and a whole forum of others) that limit what you can do. I fully expect to see the major ones in time (the Player client is supposed to be out soon, for example) but right at this moment you might want to wait. It's your call.

Hope this helps.

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:56 PM
I don't normally multi-post, but this floats off-topic so I kept them separate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
I really don't understand why people keep harping about the no-print option.... Now, if there was additional content available either first or third-party, then it might be an issue, but due to the fact that I'm typing everything in, don't I already have access to it to print if I wanted to.
Not if it's something you're creating; not everything comes from PDFs, you know! :) Also not if you're changing things, perhaps adapting a published adventure to fit your group/campaign/rules system and adding what's happened in your group's run of a published adventure to the realm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
(You do use dual monitors when you play, right?)
Not all of us are using multiple-monitor computers to run their campaigns. I don't even use a computer at the table, and at my current location there wouldn't be extra monitors available for Player View.

Maybe in my next campaign I will have integrated a computer and Realm Works for at the table use, but unless I set up a gaming space with it in mind I doubt I will be able to. Most of the places where I've run or played were kitchen tables or game rooms without extra electronic distractions.

The player/web client, though, will likely be used if I'm using Realm Works to create and track the campaign. That fits my usage better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
You can read through the forums and see that many of us harp on the little things; but overall, I'm willing to bet none of us would give it up now that we've seen what it can do.
If Realm Works was never going to have printing, exporting, or a way for players to see things on their own I'd uninstall it right now. Exporting alone is likely a deal-breaker for me, but we'll see. There are plenty of other ways to keep track of a campaign, like the physical notepads I've been using for years. :)

Last edited by Parody; June 26th, 2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Adding AEIOU's comment. Don't make bets! ;)
Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old June 26th, 2014, 11:14 PM
I think it very much depends on how digital you want to get with the management of your campaign. As someone who does everything in a digital format and has done away with paper altogether (to the point where I do little video cutscenes in Sony Vegas for my players from time to time), I found the software to be a perfect fit.

If you use both analog and digital media, things may require some thinking through to save you some unnecessary work. Thinking about what you want on paper and what you want to save digitally definitely helps.

It should be noted, however, that LWD will implement printing and the ability for players to view the database via their browser or the player edition, making it at the very least a great off-session quest/world journal in addition to its obvious advantages for preparation.
monsterfurby is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old June 27th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I don't normally multi-post, but this floats off-topic so I kept them separate.

Not if it's something you're creating; not everything comes from PDFs, you know! :) Also not if you're changing things, perhaps adapting a published adventure to fit your group/campaign/rules system and adding what's happened in your group's run of a published adventure to the realm.

Not all of us are using multiple-monitor computers to run their campaigns. I don't even use a computer at the table, and at my current location there wouldn't be extra monitors available for Player View.

Maybe in my next campaign I will have integrated a computer and Realm Works for at the table use, but unless I set up a gaming space with it in mind I doubt I will be able to. Most of the places where I've run or played were kitchen tables or game rooms without extra electronic distractions.

The player/web client, though, will likely be used if I'm using Realm Works to create and track the campaign. That fits my usage better.

If Realm Works was never going to have printing, exporting, or a way for players to see things on their own I'd uninstall it right now. Exporting alone is likely a deal-breaker for me, but we'll see. There are plenty of other ways to keep track of a campaign, like the physical notepads I've been using for years. :)
I have to agree. I love Realms Works, but if it were to stay in its current state, without printing/exporting ever, I'd probably cut my losses (and I'm backer that put in 500.00). Its defintiely useful as campaign management, and makes life easier, but right now im doing a lot of dual work. Im entering things into realms works, and also entering things into PDFs to be distributed at the table when needed. Im willing to do this temporarily, but for me, the ease of organization does not make up for the need to be able to export/print content. I play at a location without monitors, and I bring my laptop to take notes during the game, but none of my players do. They also dont want to, as they feel it distracts from the game. High quality printouts are very much appreciated by all the players I have ever played with. The tactile feel sometimes helps.

When the player account/web access comes out, that will enable my players to see offline the various things that have happened in game, but that still wont alleviate my need for printing. Its funny the reveal / character is important, but the player account is less so to me.

The reason some of us are "harping" about printing is that thats the style of game play we do. As said by others, if you run an all digital game, thats great, or your players will have access to electronics during the game, thats also great, but dont assume everyone does the same type of game style. It gets annoying that people on here assume that everyone runs games in the same way.

Last edited by mirtos; June 27th, 2014 at 03:43 AM.
mirtos is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old June 27th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Buying and using RW is the best decision I ever made as a GM.

Putting in a few hours a week before game to input the next sections (details, room descriptions, scenes, etc...) will make your game run much smoother, especially with an extra monitor/TV for the player view.

I've always been an ST for Vampire LARP games, but not often did I run tabletop. When I ran LARPS, I used grapevine, and all my thoughts, rumors, and plots were in there for use. For Pathfinder/SR4/5 I had trouble tracking everything in the story. Even with PDF's, One Note, and even some PowerPoint for various runs/stories.

With RW, I have ULTIMATE knowledge at my fingertips.

Example: Last week, we finished chapter 1 of RotRL. My players took out the BBEG, finished the final dungeon levels and found some stuff on the BBEG (amulet, books on Thassolonian Magic, etc..).

Now, I put in ALL the unique magic items in RW, and a writeup on T.Magic for my own use as quick reference. Thinking that they'd probably never see it. But, my party's cleric actually spoke Thassolonian, and rolled a nat 20 (with a +9 skill bonus) on T.Magic knowledge check from spellcraft. Erm... Wait...

Reveal T.Magic writeup, Reveal Amulet (another REALLY high roll for the Identify). Display on Player View.

While she read and took notes in her paper journal, I helped the Bard with some of the wands he found on that level. Oh, look at that, Bone Wand of Shield...What's shield do? Well, I linked it to the PRD. Click, and spell stats...

Once things settled down, and they decided on who got what from the incident, I opened the BBEG's portfolio from RW into Hero Labs (merged with the party). Clicked items>>Give to Hero>>Hero. Now the hero has the item he wanted, and it's already in the party's portfolio.

Searching a room, they find XXX items. Created a blank portfolio with JUST the items in the room. Merge with the party's from RW, and give to the party treasurer.

They ask about shops in town who deal with potions/alchemy. Click World Topics, Sandpoint tree, Sandpoint Merchants... Search for Potions. There's their list.

Dungeon crawling? Open the smart image of the map. reveal fog of world for each room, read pin for location, open location in new tab, description in italics, GM info under that, creatures, traps, secrets, treasure, it's all right there. They face any challenges, and display treasure on the player view as I import into HL.

In a paper book, I take about 30 seconds to 5 minutes to find stuff they want.

In RW, it takes 3 seconds at most.

Is it worth it? YES.

If you have a monitor/small TV you can move to your table, you don't need to print (I haven't found a need yet). Even if you just have a laptop, you can still use the player view for weird/detailed info (turn the screen).

is it a problem that the Player edition isn't out? No, not at all. Will it be AWESOME to have the web ui for that so they can go to www.pollutionsPFRotRLgame.com and look at everything they know, and contribute? YES, but not needed for this weekends game.

Pick up the software, spend a few hours getting used to it. Put in We be Goblins, or Carrion Hill, or some other 1 shot adventure to see how the software works, and find the best method for you.

You WILL NOT regret doing so.
Pollution is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old June 27th, 2014, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
I have to agree. I love Realms Works, but if it were to stay in its current state, without printing/exporting ever, I'd probably cut my losses (and I'm backer that put in 500.00). Its defintiely useful as campaign management, and makes life easier, but right now im doing a lot of dual work. Im entering things into realms works, and also entering things into PDFs to be distributed at the table when needed. Im willing to do this temporarily, but for me, the ease of organization does not make up for the need to be able to export/print content. I play at a location without monitors, and I bring my laptop to take notes during the game, but none of my players do. They also dont want to, as they feel it distracts from the game. High quality printouts are very much appreciated by all the players I have ever played with. The tactile feel sometimes helps.

When the player account/web access comes out, that will enable my players to see offline the various things that have happened in game, but that still wont alleviate my need for printing. Its funny the reveal / character is important, but the player account is less so to me.

The reason some of us are "harping" about printing is that thats the style of game play we do. As said by others, if you run an all digital game, thats great, or your players will have access to electronics during the game, thats also great, but dont assume everyone does the same type of game style. It gets annoying that people on here assume that everyone runs games in the same way.
out of curiosity, you're printing handouts for the table, if they're handouts like you find in RotRL, or PFS, or Missions! why not just screenshot those handouts as a jpg, and load the pic into RW. Even if they're self created, you can still print to jpg, and import that.

If you're using a laptop at the table, you could always turn it around so they can see the handout, get up for a soda, come back, turn the laptop around again and Bob's your uncle. Otherwise, if you're not using a laptop at the table, I can see where you really need to be able to print.

I agree, many people want printing, and enough want it that it needs to be in the program. but there are ways around it. personally, I have zero need of dead tree tech at my table (laptop with RW + HL, Monitor for players, even all the books I bought from Paizo are on PDF on a Google drive which is shared with my players for their own reference). The only paper we use anymore is printed HL character sheets and journals for note taking (I take all my notes in RW now).
Pollution is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Lexfire

Old June 27th, 2014, 06:31 AM
So far I have found RW a great tool as a DM. I am starting out slow - a crawl, walk, run approach with program. The campaign setting is Greyhawk so I am populating RW with details on Hommlet and the surrounding area.

I will start to test out the use of separate monitor for player visuals. The campaign is once a month so it provides enough time to add details.
Lexfire is offline   #10 Reply With Quote