Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

dafrca

Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:16 PM
I had something very odd happen tonight. The D&D SRD had an update. So I updated. Then I opened one of the Portfolios I use. I opened a character and made a couple changes. When I went to save the portfolio the Hero Lab informed me I couldn't save as it was now running in Demo mode. My license was no longer valid. Yet it ran fine last night and the night before.

Couple of quick facts:
No I did not change computers.
No I did not change OS.
No I did not update anything in the last week.
The ONLY change I made in the last week was run the update of the SRD.

Why would this require the "Move the license to this machine" error?

I don't plan to buy a new computer in the next six months so no big deal, until it does this again of course.

Please help me figure out what happened.
dafrca is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:43 PM
If you're running Windows 10 sometimes updates push through that change your system identity for Hero Lab and it causes a reactivation issue. Also if the license is on more than one computer it'll happen.
AndrewD2 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 24th, 2016, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD2 View Post
If you're running Windows 10 sometimes updates push through that change your system identity for Hero Lab and it causes a reactivation issue. Also if the license is on more than one computer it'll happen.
The normal Windows 10 update has only done this once since Windows 10 was launched. If you chose to be on the "fast track" for updates then it happens more often.
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dafrca

Old March 24th, 2016, 10:31 PM
My Hero Lab is only on this one computer, not more than one.

As for updates pushing through, I did have one update quite some time ago, but not in the last week.

I would also have thought that if my Windows triggered the license lock, it would not have allowed me to have run the D&D 5e as it was not my original purchase, but rather an add-on I bought later.

In any case, I just hope what ever triggered it does not do so more than once every 4 months. To have been locked out of the program because I upgraded it would be frustrating.

I also think to just dismiss the timing, it locking within a few minutes of my D&D SRD update would be hard to do.

Last edited by dafrca; March 24th, 2016 at 10:33 PM.
dafrca is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 31st, 2016, 03:03 PM
With Windows 10 one of the first things I did after installing was set my Internet Connection to metered. That prevents Win10 from automatically downloading and installing updates. Then I know what and when things are getting installed.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote