Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

charlieluce

Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:39 PM
After nearly five years, we've come to the end of our last D&D 4e campaign. Since those of us using Hero Lab already had the Authoring Kit for Savage Worlds, we started using Hero Lab for our 4e characters. Over the years, we've done a fair amount of work on the 4e files. We didn't expect any more "official" updates, and we were doing these for ourselves not really expecting our work to be used outside our own group; that means that rather than doing things in discrete files to be added to the downloaded system files like we would have for Pathfinder or Savage Worlds we actually edited our copy of the game files. Nonetheless, there's been some outside interest in our work, so I've put a copy of our modified files up for download for anyone who wants to use or just examine them. Sorry that I don't have a proper fix list, but it was never a proper project.

Because it's a modification of the official files, you have to have the official files installed first, and copy our files over the initial ones.

Here's the procedure:
1) Download the Zip archive here.
2) Open the Hero Lab 4e Game System Data Folder. The default location in Windows is C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\4e but in any case you can get to it from within the Hero Lab for 4e menu at Tools > Explore Folders > Game System Data Folders
3) With Hero Lab closed, unzip the archive to the Game System Data Folder, overwriting any duplicate files.
4) Now when you open Hero Lab 4e, you should be using our files.

Do realize that although we fixed a ton of bugs, there are undoubtedly many more that we never ran across. Please don't send us bug reports; we're done with 4e. If anyone wants to use our files as the basis of their own efforts, more power to you.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds

Last edited by charlieluce; November 22nd, 2020 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Dang typos
charlieluce is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
tzunder

Old December 30th, 2020, 02:19 AM
Thanks for this.

Ironically my friend and I bypassed 4e (we were playing FATE and Savage Worlds) and have come to it via 13th Age, 5e and Pathfinder 2e, with a parallel detour into True20.

So thanks.

I realise this isn't being maintained, and I guess that's why there is no option for Cleric Lore, or was it not openish content?

The post here
https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61071
does not seem very clear to me.. I can't follow the steps and might need a screenshot.

Last edited by tzunder; December 30th, 2020 at 02:25 AM. Reason: added comment
tzunder is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old December 30th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzunder View Post
I realise this isn't being maintained, and I guess that's why there is no option for Cleric Lore, or was it not openish content?

The post here
https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61071
does not seem very clear to me.. I can't follow the steps and might need a screenshot.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Lore is a Pathfinder thing and 4e doesn't use it; "Cleric Lore" would be part of the Religion skill.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
tzunder

Old December 31st, 2020, 05:55 AM
Must be something odd then.. see screenshot attached:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-12-31 at 13.22.09.jpg (359.8 KB, 15 views)
tzunder is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old December 31st, 2020, 09:04 AM
Oh, it's a Class Feature (sorry, even after playing in two campaigns my 4e knowledge is spotty). Do the drop-downs not work for you? They work when I try them.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
tzunder

Old January 6th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Nope. I am guessing there is a file missing somewhere.
I have copied over the latest zip file from the thread so I think I have installed all that has been released on top of the 2016 pack that comes with Hero Lab.
tzunder is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old January 6th, 2021, 06:12 PM
Well, just in case I audited the Zip and none of our files are missing (and I don't think that could cause that sort of problem anyway), and I can't duplicate your error on two different PCs in either the 32 or 64-bit versions of HLC.

The best I can advise is to move out any .user files you may have added, re-download the base 4e system, overwriting our files, then see if the problem persists. If not you can re-apply our patches and check again, then add your own .user files back.

Currently Playing:

Last edited by charlieluce; January 6th, 2021 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Misplaced comma
charlieluce is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old June 2nd, 2021, 04:35 PM
I also can not create the issue tzunder is having, may need to do a reload.

I am still running and playing 4E heavy and strong, my group just started a new campaign in May 2021 introducing even more players into the 4e System. I wish we had been able to finish the program like the CBI information, HL does a good job running with the dashboard when all the characters are loaded.
I still use this for most characters and hopefully, someday we can find a way to finish the data sets!
SAbel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 31st, 2021, 09:24 AM
Lol I still have the site up. All for finishing the data set, but I don't play 4e, and dumped my books years ago. Be glad to hand over ownership of the data set if somebody wants it.

Not 100% sure how to do that to be honest, but if there's a more fully updated data set, I'd be glad to post it up. When I stopped working on it 5e was out... I didn't expect there to be much more. :/

Working on Twilight 2000 4e HL System
cryptoknight is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old July 31st, 2021, 02:00 PM
We had an enthusiastic 4e DM who ran the two campaigns that we played, but he's since followed me into running Pathfinder Second Edition.

If you want to fold our patches into an "official" update, go right ahead.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #10 Reply With Quote