Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

jaydarkson

Old April 17th, 2016, 10:45 PM
I'm currently running a campaign for Edge of the Empire and I am about to start a second one. I was wondering if there is a feature in the works that will allow me to duplicate items or content from within a realm and copy it to another realm? I don't want to use the same realm for both groups because I want to keep track of what they do separately.
jaydarkson is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 17th, 2016, 11:41 PM
At some point after the Content Market is available, you'll be able to reuse your realms much like purchased ones. (Sharing with yourself and/or duplicating them.)

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
snagar

Old May 11th, 2016, 03:38 AM
+1 for this topic.

For some things I do not understand why you need the "market" to be implemented.
Your Realm has an ID that distinguish you. The feature should be available for content that you created.
Later on when there is a market, LoneWolf will just need to extend this check to Realms that you purchased and that allow to copy their content.
snagar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old May 15th, 2016, 04:35 AM
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagar View Post
For some things I do not understand why you need the "market" to be implemented.
Your Realm has an ID that distinguish you. The feature should be available for content that you created.
This is a good question. I would think it would be like duplicating a snippet or topic except that it's a realm.
ruhar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old May 15th, 2016, 08:02 PM
I believe it is because the content market - when fully implemented - will allow you to have a master realm and child realms. Any changes in the master realm will be inherited by the child realms. Any changes in any of the child realms will stay there.

This way you can develop your master realm with history, NPCs, locations, monsters, plots and scenaries. These changes will also appear in your child realms.

This way you can run several parties through the same world but only make changes and additions to the world one place.

Well, as far as I have understood it. I might be far off the mark here, but I hope not.

So that is why it is not simply a matter of copying the realm as is.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old May 15th, 2016, 08:41 PM
This has to do with the GUID (Globally Unique IDentifier) associated with each of your realms... I suppose you could also call it a Realm Identifier (or RID). This is a database thing.

Anyway, when you create a realm you have to login and get a GUID for your realm. When you want to make a copy of an existing realm without just overwriting the existing realm, you need to generate a new GUID for that realm. Unfortunately for us, LWD isn't set up to do that right now. The content market will have to have this feature though and I'm sure once it's fully tested and had some polish applied, we will be able to use it.

My guess is you will at the minimum need to login and generate a new GUID for the copied realm. However I wouldn't be surprised if you have to upload your realm to their cloud service and then initiate the copy process which would download a copy of the realm with a newly generated GUID, giving you two different copies of the same realm.
Viking2054 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote