Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 25th, 2014, 03:06 PM
@Farnaby, yep we mentioned that the clock would start with the Player Edition release in a number of news posts leading up to the release, as well as our forum post that Caraldur linked to, our official news post on our website, and the player edition email that went out to Realm Works users. We'll also be mentioning it again in our newsletter later this week.
liz is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Nyarlathotep

Old November 25th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I'm a little unclear on how Realm Works will function when the 6 month trial period for cloud expires. Will I be able to create Realms without the cloud? I assume that the player edition is entirely dependent on cloud service and will not function without it, is this correct?

Basically I would like to know what I can expect not to work if I don't subscribe to the cloud.
Nyarlathotep is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Kilgs

Old November 25th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
Actually I'm glad that it started, hoping for re-focus of the dev time
Agreed. And folks who might feel upset about the clock ticking should also remember it as a deadline for LWD as well. Everybody is in the same boat.

We have six months to decide to pay monthly.
They have six months to convince people to pay monthly for their product.

I know Players Edition was the huge draw/goal and necessary for their vision of the product so kudos to them for completing it.
Kilgs is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old November 25th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Nyarlathotep, you will still be able to create new realms (although you will still have to have an internet connection to do that) and edit the realms you currently have created. You will not be able to sync to the cloud, and will have to manually back up your realms to move them from one computer to the other. Also, I don't believe you will be able to add players to your realm, nor will they get Player Edition updates from your realm, unless you have active cloud service.

I could be wrong on that last bit, though, so hopefully Liz will be along to confirm/deny.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Farnaby

Old November 26th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
@Farnaby, yep we mentioned that the clock would start with the Player Edition release in a number of news posts leading up to the release, as well as our forum post that Caraldur linked to, our official news post on our website, and the player edition email that went out to Realm Works users. We'll also be mentioning it again in our newsletter later this week.
Thanks Liz, I missed that.
Farnaby is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 26th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Liz or Rob can correct me if I am wrong here, but when you are in "creation mode" you do not really need cloud service unless you are creating in more than one spot/computer. The cloud sync is very handy if say you take the bus and have an hour before and after work to burn and you do some RW there at work, then come home and work on your computer.

However if you simply work on RW at home, you really do not need cloud service as you can manually back up from time to time.

When cloud service really comes into play, is when you are the GM and your players have the Player Edition. You as a group can then take advantage of the sync feature, and your players will be able to sync everything you reveal, info, maps, hand outs etc.

I for one will likely pay for for the cloud sync yearly, as I have RW on a desktop, Lappy and a tablet and work on them all. But I suspect alot of GMs may only pay for cloud service when they are in the chair using RW to manage the current gaming campaign.
Exmortis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 26th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Liz or Rob can correct me if I am wrong here, but when you are in "creation mode" you do not really need cloud service unless you are creating in more than one spot/computer. The cloud sync is very handy if say you take the bus and have an hour before and after work to burn and you do some RW there at work, then come home and work on your computer.

However if you simply work on RW at home, you really do not need cloud service as you can manually back up from time to time.

When cloud service really comes into play, is when you are the GM and your players have the Player Edition. You as a group can then take advantage of the sync feature, and your players will be able to sync everything you reveal, info, maps, hand outs etc.

I for one will likely pay for for the cloud sync yearly, as I have RW on a desktop, Lappy and a tablet and work on them all. But I suspect alot of GMs may only pay for cloud service when they are in the chair using RW to manage the current gaming campaign.
Bingo. @Nyarlathotep, after your six months expires, you'll still be able to create content. You can even still work on multiple computers, so long as you manually back-up and move your work from each computer.

Cloud service will be necessary to use Player Edition, as well as the web-based player access.

@Kilgs, there won't be a monthly option. The payment options right now are $24.99 for 6 months, or $39.99 for one year.
liz is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old November 26th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Looks like I'll be plumping for the year cost...

Liz, will we get a reminder that our cloud sub is expiring?
Chemlak is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 26th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Looks like I'll be plumping for the year cost...

Same $40 is pretty resonable I must say, thats what it costs to park my truck for two days when I am forced to drive into work.
Exmortis is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 26th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
That's the plan!
liz is offline   #20 Reply With Quote