Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Been using HeroLab for forever, last time I used it was Tuesday night, and today, Saturday afternoon, when I attempted to open it, it failed to find the prefs file. It prompted me for a backup of it, but then I still went to the splash screen for a new user, then the option to activate license and states that I'm in demo mode. Hadn't had an update or anything, any idea what gives? No crash occurred, so there's no crash report to send.

Anyways, tried to re-activate the license, but the license screen only displays the device nickname. I've no idea what the license number itself was at this point (5+ years). At the moment, unable to use outside of demo mode.

Let me know what I can do to help get this straightened out. Got a game to run tonight, and it's going to be a pain without HL running.

Thanks!
Kendall-DM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:11 AM
I have resolved getting into my HeroLab, noticed that my prefs file got backed up on 7/20, though I have no idea why it did so. Though it was backed, it didn't apply a new prefs file to the directory, and thus HL could no longer find it.

So I was able to re-activate my licenses and get everything up and running by putting the backup in. Not sure why it backed itself up in the first place, so that remains a real mystery.
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old August 6th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Once again my HL started up and couldn't find the Prefs file, and I had to continue from a backup. The only thing that has changed on my system is the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10. Why is my HL failing to find the Prefs file from time to time after 5+ years of working without any real issue?

Any advice you can provide would be helpful, and before you ask, no there is no bug report because it didn't error, it just didn't load the prefs file (which is present, but has been backed up for some reason and i have to remove the backup extension to get it working again).
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote