Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Starfinder

Notices

Farling

Old November 22nd, 2021, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Silverbolt View Post
Daniel I can understand that the core books are priority, I mean that make perfect sense but the Starfinder AP line is YEARS behind and there isn't a lot of core books released in a year. Frankly there is now free software that is up to date that is just a character builder (which is what most of us want) ran by what seems one person. (To be fair it could be more but no where near the staffing of HLO).

Put all the together and it seems HLO has just abandoned the SF AP line and it is really hard to think it's any other way given the communication from LoneWolf.
I suspect part of the problem is the unique language that needs to be learnt to be able to craft anything in Hero Lab (assuming the HLO uses the same language as HLO). If they were able to switch to a universal language (e.g. javascript), then the learning curve to bring on new contractors would be a lot less.

Does the free software that you reference as a character builder also handle effects modifying the character during live play?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
aerik1

Old November 23rd, 2021, 02:10 PM
How odd that solutions to problems players have that Lone Wolf can't solve are being deleted. Perhaps if LW delivered on their products, I would have renewed my PF2 sub and even added a SF sub.

Hero Lab Classic was the best product with a huge amount of support and customization that I used for many years and many game systems.

The shift to online with a software as a service business plan was frankly a poor move on the part of LW and felt like a slap to my face. I'm paying more for much less. Now not only we pay for the books and systems, but we have to pay for maintaining a server. Core functions of starfinder are not available after years and I don't think we are going to see mechs from Tech Revolution anytime soon either.

There needs to be a significant shift in the philosophy at LW as to how to provide to the customers that are paying for their product.
aerik1 is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2021, 02:11 PM
Posts directing folks to outside character creation sources are not allowed.

Thanks!
BJ is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 24th, 2021, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoobob View Post
yikes. LWD really is circling the drain, aren't they?
But they are just implementing the policy given in their forum rules, which can be found at http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=5528

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old November 24th, 2021, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
But they are just implementing the policy given in their forum rules...
Well.. in that their rules allow them to modify, or delete content on the forums. There's nothing in those Rules that specifically disallow links to third-party sites. (I don't think there was evidence that the poster of the deleted post owned or ran the linked site.)
They haven't deleted the post that gives a link to Pathfinder Nexus. They were certainly aware of that thread since it prompted a "we aren't going out of business" post. Maybe competitors that have a license from Paizo are okay to post links to. Will they disallow links to VTT's, because you can create characters in those too?

Lone Wolf's responses (to almost any thread/post/question, when they actually do respond) certainly aren't of the quality/value or breadth that they used to be. With the exception of Mathias still assisting in the HLC forum, I really feel that we get almost nothing from LW except advertising of "new" packages.

I'm not giving up on them yet, but I never invested in HLO (and won't) and rarely used HLC at my game sessions in the past, so I'm NOT in the position a lot of other people are. Classic still covers all my game prep. If they don't improve their communication though, I may give up on the forums, and then the only time I'll bother with them is if I need early license re-assignment.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.

Last edited by Dami; November 24th, 2021 at 10:04 PM.
Dami is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Darius Silverbolt

Old November 29th, 2021, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post

Does the free software that you reference as a character builder also handle effects modifying the character during live play?
It seems like it does and I have check a few conditions and it seems to work though I have not tested all of the conditions for accuracy and it looks like mech support is up (which I just noticed).

I avoid the name and link here but others have made a reference in other threads plus it has the gear for the AP's I am running so right now I no longer need HLO the have for now become obsolete which is a shame.
Darius Silverbolt is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Darius Silverbolt

Old November 29th, 2021, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
Well.. in that their rules allow them to modify, or delete content on the forums. There's nothing in those Rules that specifically disallow links to third-party sites. (I don't think there was evidence that the poster of the deleted post owned or ran the linked site.)
I think they are using the policy the covers advertising.
"Advertise – Do not use our forums to generate traffic or attention to your project, personal website, Kickstarter, or company without express permission from one of our staff members (PM Liz). We're more likely to say yes if you're an established poster here than if your project is the subject of your first post. Links to personal websites and projects are permitted on profiles and in signatures, as long as it follows the rest of the forum rules."

But granted that use the term "Your" but I am not a lawyer and I get what they are saying.
Darius Silverbolt is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old December 9th, 2021, 02:06 PM
in a thread on the PF1 HLO forum today, i had a post removed for advising someone to just stick with pencil-and-paper. apparently LWD is worried they can't compete with pencil and paper... lmao
dacoobob is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
WatersLethe

Old December 9th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoobob View Post
in a thread on the PF1 HLO forum today, i had a post removed for advising someone to just stick with pencil-and-paper. apparently LWD is worried they can't compete with pencil and paper... lmao
That's what I mean when I say it's a bad look. Acting afraid of any competition, even one-person hobby projects or the humble paper
WatersLethe is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 10th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Hey folks,

I am choosing to leave these last two posts up and instead have sent a direct message to address your concern and explain why your message was removed. Please review that and feel free to send us whatever feedback you feel is merited, but I would kindly ask that as we try to lean into engaging here on the forums a bit more that you consider the rules, specifically those that relate to being constructive, respectful, and on topic.

Admittedly there has been something of a gap in communication after we had to cut down on staff and roles have been stretched thin, couple this with the complications that have arisen from general forum hosting stability and it made engagement here all the more difficult. I don't know if this will rightly help or not, but in recent days we have been taking a much closer look at how we can better engage with the community here and have taken some of the feedback posted here and also privately sent to us straight to leadership and some changes have already begun to be made to help address these things and better connect with all of you in a public manner rather than mainly relying on one-to-one conversations via our support email.

Thanks!
--
Ryan Furnas
<support@wolflair.com>
Ryan F is offline   #40 Reply With Quote