Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Acenoid

Old December 4th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Hi there!

Somewhere I'd read that it's recommended to prepare the next session in RW, by opening windows etc. Showing Images from within RW to the players is taking too much effort, since the topics have to be revealed.

It would be better if the player window could be set into a certain mode that works like this:

a) add context menues to topics / snippets / IMAGES: "reveal in player window & refresh", "reveal in player window close other & refresh", "clear player view & refresh"

b) I can put ANY topic / image / snippet into the player view.

Then I would show with one single click a certain portion / image or snippet in the player view on the fly.

What do you think about that?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 5th, 2015, 03:28 AM
Can't entirely see for me exactly what you describe, but I suppose that those extra options wouldn't hurt.

I haven't really had any problems with the way it works now.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 5th, 2015, 11:09 PM
The suggestion takes two separate forms...

First, you can setup tabs with different content for YOUR reference during play. Key scenes, NPCs, storyboards, and the like can be pre-loaded into tabs for instant access during play. You can also now setup a custom view that contains the two-dozen topics that you expect the PCs to interact with, putting everything right at your fingertips.

Second, you can setup Player View with different content for disclosure during play. Yes, you need to pre-reveal topics and maps in order for this to work, but you can reveal the topic without revealing any snippets, and you can reveal maps without revealing any regions within them, so the only thing that ends up truly pre-revealed is the name (which can be customized to ensure nothing important is disclosed). Once a topic or maps is pre-revealed, you can add it to Player View and then hide the window showing that content. You can then size and arrange the windows within Player View prior to the game. During play, all you need to do is click the button on the window to show/hide the various windows to present what you want to the players.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old December 6th, 2015, 03:15 AM
Hi!

I will definitevely try out your suggestion. Since the GM version is the only version active in the group, the names are unproblematic.

At the moment, I click on "open external" for images and turn around the laptop. This is the quickest way I could find now adays, without spending time to structure screens or something. The idea is to really have a quick way "this information to the player screen -- now, no if's no but's".

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old December 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I might just be missing it but it would be really nice if the tab setup could be saved along with the realm. I usually work on the main desktop machine and set things up there very naturally since it just happens while I am working. When I switch to the laptop and sync to play, all the tabs are the same as they were the last time I played. Of course, with all the other last minute things to do, I always forget about this and have to spend time fixing it.
Gord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 6th, 2015, 10:24 AM
At the moment the RW settings are stored locally and not transferred in the synch.

I don't know if an automated synching of this might cause problems between two different machines such as different monitor sizes, number of monitors, etc.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old December 6th, 2015, 01:29 PM
It is annoying, and was very confusing at first, that you have to reveal the topic to show any snipped within to players. It's cumbersome and can be confusing (especially for noobs).

Now that I'm used to it, it's not terrible. Its just another thing that annoys me about the interface. So I can live with it, its just not optimal.

Point of reference: I have a laptop that I use for my editing/ viewing and when in session I connect a secondary display (tv flat on it's back) to display content for players.
adzling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 6th, 2015, 05:10 PM
It's actually very useful. You can pre-reveal the snippets in a topic that you want revealed when the topic finally does come up, for instance an NPC's gender, species and other attributes readily apparent visually, and not need to be looking for buttons in the interface when the time comes. You simply reveal the topic and everything else is revealed automatically. I use it all the time to speed up game play.
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 6th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
It's actually very useful. You can pre-reveal the snippets in a topic that you want revealed when the topic finally does come up, for instance an NPC's gender, species and other attributes readily apparent visually, and not need to be looking for buttons in the interface when the time comes. You simply reveal the topic and everything else is revealed automatically. I use it all the time to speed up game play.
Yep exactly what I do also. Same logic applies to rooms that are being explored.

As I enter the room details into RW I reveal the "read aloud text" and other use information that players will easily find. Depending on how hard the "treasure" in the room is I will reveal the treasure snippets. During the game then as the players get into the room its a single button press to reveal the whole topic.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I might just be missing it but it would be really nice if the tab setup could be saved along with the realm. I usually work on the main desktop machine and set things up there very naturally since it just happens while I am working. When I switch to the laptop and sync to play, all the tabs are the same as they were the last time I played. Of course, with all the other last minute things to do, I always forget about this and have to spend time fixing it.
Basically, what @vargr said. Additional concerns center on the fact that a machine used for putting content into RW and setting up a realm will often NOT be the machine on which the content is revealed during play. The assortment of tabs that a GMs wants open during entry and prep will typically be very different than the set of tabs for running the next game session. So we've kept the two distinct from one another.

If there's enough demand, we could potentially make it configurable, so you might consider adding this to the requests forum.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote