Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

NoxRaven

Old March 26th, 2018, 08:15 AM
So I've tried looking through the youtube videos and tried to search for other tutorials but I'm still seemingly lost even at the part of trying to get stuff entered in. I see there is quite a bit of help for DnD 5E but I'm trying to use 3.5.

I have both HL and RW and I'm wondering will this all work for 3.5 or did I just get a program that's not going to help me at all?
NoxRaven is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 27th, 2018, 09:25 AM
To start with HL does work with 3.5 you just need to get the right packs. The 3.5 stuff is labeled d20 BTW.

As for RW it can be overwhelming, the blank page problem, for new users. If you've watched the various videos Josh and I put out the best advice I've got for you is to download the free realms and look those over to see how those are built. If you are feeling particularly ambitious you could try importing this realm which is quite large and is being built by a group of community members and should give you quite a good look at the entire gamut of RW.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...I6V5FZW5HThnsQ

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
NoxRaven

Old March 27th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Right, I have the 3.5 for HL. I just didn't know about RW. Most of the campaigns I run deal with the forgotten realms campaign setting. So I'm assuming I'm assuming then I'm going to have to gather all of my books for it and type in every piece of information from them into RW.

I guess the daunting aspect is what to start with as the baseline.
NoxRaven is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old March 27th, 2018, 03:28 PM
If you've got a few spare coin, the 3.5 PDFs go on sale regularly over on drivethru/dmsguild. It's worth buying the old material as pdf and learn how to copy/"paste as unformatted text as a single paragraph" rather than type till your fingers bleed.
dungeonguru is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 27th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
If you've got a few spare coin, the 3.5 PDFs go on sale regularly over on drivethru/dmsguild. It's worth buying the old material as pdf and learn how to copy/"paste as unformatted text as a single paragraph" rather than type till your fingers bleed.
This. Copy and paste from PDF is by far the easiest method to enter prepublished setting material until the CM goes live and even then something like Faerun may not ever get released on RW.

As to what to use as a baseline the 5e realm should work just fine. If there are any inconsistencies you can customize it as needed, the changes should be fairly minor. You mostly should need to add some classes and races that aren't in 5e that sort of thing. That's all tags in RW and adding tags is really easy.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 30th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Like Dungeonguru (and many others have also mentioned) I have utilized PDFs in this fashion as well... and Using DrivethruRPG or RPGnow (depending on how you log in) some of the PDFS are OCR'd while others are simply "snapshots" assembled in a pdf, but the text is only a picture to most simple PDF viewers...
One thing to consider, while not a perfect solution, I have found the Adobe Convert Feature helpful for this... while Adobe hits you for $2 a month, it's worth avoiding the "finger bleed" and "hair pulling" aggravation.... as it does a good (not great) job conversion of PDF to a word doc or excel file.
As to why I would say not "great", sometimes it tries to convert text off of what should be true pictures within the document (ie cover, or street names on a map, etc).
just my 2cp
DLG
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acro...2B4VT&mv=other

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
MadCartographer

Old May 9th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxRaven View Post
Right, I have the 3.5 for HL. I just didn't know about RW. Most of the campaigns I run deal with the forgotten realms campaign setting. So I'm assuming I'm assuming then I'm going to have to gather all of my books for it and type in every piece of information from them into RW.

I guess the daunting aspect is what to start with as the baseline.
NoxRaven,

There are 2 ways to enter info from scratch.

Manually typing it in... Long and laborious process.

Get Dragon Speech software, and "speak" most of it in. I do this, Im entering in the Worlds Largest Dungeon this way.

As for where to start....
Think "Top Down".

Start with Toril, then Faerun, Then cities, dungeons etc...
Act like your seeing the planet in space... and drill down from there. This way things "LINK" as they should.
MadCartographer is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 27th, 2018, 06:28 PM
In terms of finding a place to copy from:

Impossible: Type it in
Challenging: Copy it in from pdf (some pdfs are better than others)
Ideal: Copy from a digital tool. If the content you want to enter is sold by a VTT company you can save some serious time by copying from them (Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, DnDBeyond, etc)

On top of that there is a tool to import content from XLS documents if you can find raw data sources. I'm sure they exist.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old April 4th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Copy and pasting from PDF is the easiest way to go and getting books that are on sale as was recommended.

Also, look to online Wikis and other sites as those often will have extensive information like backgrounds, rules, etc. already copied from books in an easy to copy forum that you can use.

I was able to avoid having to typing in several pages of stuff from a book for on realm because some one had already copied the text i needed to get from a book into an Obsidian Portal page.

Some of the free sample Realms are Pathfinder ones which may help you out in seeing how something looks in Realm Works for a 3.5 based game.

Some PDFs are also "locked" to prevent copy an pasting from text and you need to unlock them so also be aware of that.

For maps, I would also recommend you get a copy of the old FR interactive Atlas and the 3 patches for it (All 3 patches need to be installed in order for it too.) as a way of getting maps that you can export. Since you want to set up a FR Realm.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 4th, 2018, 01:38 PM
If you can find your desired content in JSON, XML or CSV the you can automate the data entry using the CSV importer tool. I just did a 300+ page book in a day using that method.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #10 Reply With Quote