Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Dunkin

Old July 11th, 2022, 05:35 PM
Hi there. I have an odd question. I'm running a PF1 West Marches campaign at work that has almost 40 people playing in it. I'm strongly looking at switching from HLC to HLO for the next season. I'm just stuck on one question: Will HLO allow me to still be able to manage 40+ characters? Obviously, each game will have the traditional 3-6 players playing at one time, but I'll still need a way to track 40 or more characters that are not in play. Is this possible with HLO? If so, what's the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance for any replies. It's the last question I have to resolve before I commit. N
Dunkin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 14th, 2022, 06:59 AM
Hello,

I can help out and provide a bit of guidance if you'll forgive the moderate CR Wall of Text.

Each Campaign has a maximum participant capacity (including the GM/Creator of the Campaign) of 12 total individual Accounts so you would be somewhat limited in terms of setting up a Campaign in a manner that would get all of the players invited to the game at the same time. So, if you're relying on the Patron service level to share access to your own content this would mean that at most you'd be able to invite 11 players/Accounts to any given Campaign but one convenient thing in your favor here is that the Patron service allows for up to four Campaigns being operated at any given time where you can enable the content sharing and if you take care to invite 10-11 individuals to separate Campaigns you can still fit all of them at the same time though this will effectively max out your content sharing capacity and it would mean that each of those Campaigns will be listed and hosted separately though if you're primarily using the service as a method to ensure that they all have access to build Characters rather than to have them all coordinate at the actual game table to facilitate running things through the Campaign Theater Stage and Tactical Mode functions it should work out pretty nicely.

Alternatively, you could just create one Campaign and have it host all of the PCs within it and when needed during prep for game day you work with them to drop and add players for each session to work within that 12 person limit. Then the PCs would be assigned back to their proper player for the game. This is more fiddly, for lack of a better term than the other options but it would help you retain all of those Characters within just one Campaign despite the extra hoops there would be to jump through by way of dropping players and having others join for the purpose of that game session though if you're using a good group chat service such as Discord, any number of VTTs, or any other group communication method it shouldn't be too hard to simply manually drop all of the players as the GM before a game and direct DM/Message the users who will be participating in order to have them Join/Rejoin swiftly by way of the URL Invite method.

There are also other ways you could fudge it a bit too with a bit of creativity such as if you're playing in person as HLO works pretty well around a table via the old pass-n-play method so that you can condense the various PCs being controlled in the games to be operated by a single login since you can have multiple PCs assigned to each Account.

These are exactly the only options available to try to support the West Marches kind of game but they're most certainly the most popular methods that I've seen users take advantage of, I hope this can help make the decision a bit easier but before I sign off I DO want to share the webpage where we have the sort of overview how-to for Hero Lab Online and the Campaign Theater so that you and the players can have a good idea of how it works, how the Characters should be configured/created, and to just have a better understanding of the system as well.
(https://www.wolflair.com/hlo-tips-insights/)

Thanks a million!

--
Ryan Furnas
Customer/Technical Support
<support@wolflair.com>
Ryan F is offline   #2 Reply With Quote