Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 1st Edition

Notices

Krothos

Old January 9th, 2021, 11:09 AM
When will PF1 HLO allow custom content, to be able to use our own data sets for our house rules? Is this on the roadmap for this product?

For example, create a unique weapon tailored to spiritual weapon. Or use ShadowChemosh's Community Pack.
Krothos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
darrell_uk

Old January 9th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Similarly, before I decide whether to pay to convert, what happens to a character with custom content when it gets imported into the new system? Does it just strip it all off?
darrell_uk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old January 9th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell_uk View Post
Similarly, before I decide whether to pay to convert, what happens to a character with custom content when it gets imported into the new system? Does it just strip it all off?
When I imported a character it stripped all custom content.
Dragnmoon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
graf_zederich

Old January 9th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid I will not use HLO for my PF1 character as it requires custom files. Too bad!
graf_zederich is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Doskious

Old January 9th, 2021, 03:02 PM
My group plays a Dragonlance game, and makes extensive use of custom user content as a result, including custom races, custom feats, custom deities, custom archetypes/prestige classes, and a lot more that I've been able to work up in the Hero Lab Classic editor.

While the interface looks polished and I'd really like to have the ability to track the characters and their opponents in a web interface that I could share with my players, the absence of any ability to make use of custom content is a deal-breaker.
Doskious is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Daniel V
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 10th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Rob had a post on the matter a while back
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....2&postcount=28

Last edited by Daniel V; January 10th, 2021 at 08:45 AM.
Daniel V is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old January 10th, 2021, 12:03 PM
Without custom content (aka the Community Packs), PF1 in HLO format is as useless to me as PF2 is (and ever will be). . .

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SLger

Old January 10th, 2021, 12:03 PM
Vote for Custom Data Content!!!!
SLger is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Nezmith7

Old January 13th, 2021, 11:47 PM
While I completely understand that coding such a tool into HLO looks like a nightmarish task, as well as allowing the integration of user-created content...

I would gladly pay extra for such a service to be made available.

Whether it be the "Editor's Package" or some other method.

It's not that the Hero Lab program let me down in any way, not at all, it's a godsend and I'm happy having spent hundreds of dollars purchasing all of the PF1 content for it.

My GM, however, like any creative would build and add custom items and perks to his game, whether they were combined feats to reduce the feat-tax, or a slightly-modified Crown of Blades to reward a player.

Either way, I'll happily wait since I still enjoy the use of the Classic program, but I will keep my eyes open for any mention of custom content in HLO's future.
Nezmith7 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Doskious

Old January 16th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel V View Post
Rob had a post on the matter a while back
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....2&postcount=28
In light of this, the concerns regarding the ability to deploy custom content are readily apparent, and not at all easily overcome at a feature-implementation level.

The obvious (to me, anyway) solution to tidily remedy this concern, without actually solving the "whelk vs. Supernova" scale of problem presented by the reliance on custom-scripting that a lot of HLC custom data content requires, would be an additional service tier above "Patron" level that, for an additional (recurring) cost, provides for the availability of a "sharded" instance of the HLO service to be extended to the subscriber such that they effectively get a sandbox for themselves and their group to use in which errors/issues/problems would be limited to impacting that group rather than the HLO userbase as a whole.

Even doing something like this would involve some fairly massive shifts in the underlying service infrastructure (I'm sure), to allow for the ability to leverage access to all of the existing HLO validations and data packages (that the subscriber had purchased) without needing to actually instance their associated service-level logic into the sandbox environment, if it's actually practically feasible at all.

I obviously don't know the kind of contracts LWD has entered into with Paizo related to the ability to provide the LWD-coded-and-curated representations of Paizo's content in the context of HLO, or if the above suggestion would be compatible with those agreements, but it seems to me to be likely to be a more practically scale-able and implementable solution than trying to directly curate and validation-check all submitted custom content.

Here's hoping that there's something that can be done to achieve this, eventually!
Doskious is offline   #10 Reply With Quote