Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer Fantasy 8th Ed.

Notices

RugueGeneralHunter

Old April 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I am a little annoyed that the ver 3.1c upgrade overwrote all the information I had put into the program!

I had created several special characters for the Empire Army.
ones from the UK web site.

after the Upgrade(s) Army Builder and ABcreator non of the stuff i made is there any more.

The lists I created using the older version will open but the special characters are Gone!

I would think that in this day and age a program could be upgraded without loss of information.

Is there an easier way to get special characters into the system?
Can they be imported or added by the Guru’s that run the program?
Most of them were in Ver2 (Karl Franz, Kert Helborg, etc...)
Why were they left out of Ver 3.1?
Can they be added?
I don't want to go through this again!

Thank you for listening to me rant

R.G Hunter
[/quote]
RugueGeneralHunter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
osito

Old April 16th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I think they changed some of the programing regarding characters and options. This will result in loss of data or corrupt list. It's sad byt I don't blame them, it's not easy making programs (I know)
osito is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
deathlynx
Volunteer Data File Author

Old April 16th, 2006, 04:40 AM
The reason they are in the AB 2.* but not 3.* is because there was a complete rewrite of AB between the two...files are incompatable from one to the other which leaves a complete rewrite of all datafile nescessary...

Since WFB is such a big project poor Robert has been doing this piece by piece (and a darn good job of it too!) and has needed to prioritize things...Since many of the Special Characters aren't fully official and the ones that are require (by deffinition of "official") armybooks and the like that he may not have these all have been pretty low on the priority...

AB 3.1c was put out because the WFB files accidentally were making use of a loophole which was closed in 3.1b and caused the system to crash...It's possible that the fix involved removing or overwriting the special characters you create...Stinks but this happens occasionally...
deathlynx is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RugueGeneralHunter

Old April 16th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Not exactly what i wanted to hear but good information none the less.
What about Imports? Are there any out there?
If not .. I will just have to make them again.
RugueGeneralHunter is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
deathlynx

Old April 17th, 2006, 01:48 PM
At the moment I think various people are working on Special Characters for these files...Robert recently put out a plea for help in another thread in this forum...

It just dawned on me that your characters might have been overwriten when you updated the WFB file itself...The way to avoid that n the future would be to create everything new for you in a completely new dat file and save a copy of it (after every addition) to a separate folder on your comp...that way when you download the new WFB file you can simply copy your file back into the directory with the rest of the WFB files...
deathlynx is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sheerkhan

Old April 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM
i checked and all the changes i've made are still there. i haven't added any characters, though. just tweaks.
Sheerkhan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
robert

Old April 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM
hi,

if you create special characters please send them here! so i can add them for everyone!! :~)

im sorry to hear that your changes were lost...but that is how armybuilder works :~( you changed the files then imported new ones... the same thing would happen if u were using word, changed a file, then downloaded the new version of that file...
robert is offline   #7 Reply With Quote