Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mirtos

Old May 12th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Lemur View Post
I don't know who you are or where you live, but know that I hate you*. I hate you with the kind of hate that is normally reserved for pedophiles and people who torture animals*. I work in a retail pharmacy, and I can tell you with some authority that the customer is often wrong, and occasionally dangerously so. The customer is also hardheaded and stubborn and would rather use the product wrong that to have someone tell them the right way to use it. And then when the product doesn't work exactly like they think it should (regardless of what it's actually meant to do) it's somehow your fault for not telling them otherwise. The same customer, remember, who gets mad when you try to "waste their time" telling them about the product and how it should and shouldn't be used.

That is what I see in this thread. A customer who bought a product expecting it to do things it wasn't designed to, and refusing to use the documentation (which is part of the product he paid for) and the advice/suggestion of forum users (which he got for free) to learn what it actually can do. I'm sure if random generators are that important to him, he can find a way to incorporate them into RW, but not without first reading the documentation and learning how to insert objects.

*I don't have anything against you personally, but that mentality has made it terribly difficult to interact with some customers. Even if they're using a product in a way that could kill them, they assume they're right and I'm just being "rude" by telling them otherwise.
I understand your opinion. I grew up in retail in an area with tourists. So I understand your feeling. So I get what you're saying. I do.
mirtos is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 12th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Quote:
I don't know who you are or where you live, but know that I hate you*. I hate you with the kind of hate that is normally reserved for pedophiles and people who torture animals*.
These two lines. How to give the Community Manager a heart attack on Monday morning...

That being said everyone, I think you have all said your piece on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
They need to add an option for allowing us more free time from other obligations to devote to building worlds and campaigns.
Hmmmm... I can see that taking a while to design and develop.
liz is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old May 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
These two lines. How to give the Community Manager a heart attack on Monday morning...
*cough* Whoops
weogarth is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
You're off your game. I posted that two Saturdays ago.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 19th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Quote:
You're off your game. I posted that two Saturdays ago.
Umm...she responded the Monday after you posted it. In the morning. :)

Last edited by Parody; May 19th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.
Parody is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old May 19th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Umm...she responded the Monday after you posted it. In the morning. :)
Gods, where have I been for a week?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old May 20th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Gods, where have I been for a week?
Obviously NOT drinking coffee.
weogarth is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
I actually rewrote my post a couple of times. I should have let version 2 stay. i know you werent, but some people seemed to be. Its one of the flaws of the internet, flaming is too easy. Im not stating that you did it, but that it was done. Im not trying to single ANYONE out.

Flaming generally serves little purpose and makes a possible useful debate devolve into defensiveness.

I do agree that the software is going to be complicated, and I also agree that RW has done an amazing job at keeping it relatively intuitive.

I also believe that the real problem with this thread is that the OP didn't cite any real specific complaints. Its the difference between criticism, and constructive criticism.

Still, I live by the adage, "the customer is always right".

But where you and I fundamentally disagree, is that a poster should ever expect "heat". Its something that has become commonplace in the internet, but is not a good quality of it. Its a fundamentally bad quality, in my opinion. It causes discourse and discussion to be destroyed by as you put it, "flames". As you mentioned, a lot of it has to do with the medium. Text isnt good for displaying emotion, and this type of forum makes it easy to disassociate a poster from a person. I've been using the internet since the early 90s (prior to web browsers), and its one of the worst aspects of it.

My only suggestion before replying to a post, and im guilty of it too, is to take a moment, and be willing to edit or delete comments if they seem too snarky. Again, my personal opinion, and not directed at you directly Nikmal. (we're probably getting horribly offtopic).
Probably the wisest post this thread so far. I also live by that adage "The customer is always right". It's not something that is really true, but for that customer it is and what they have been led to understand with the limited knowledge they have been given. Being a customer service rep is not easy, but it takes a special kind of person who mostly is not judgmental.

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
immotus

Old June 7th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Other people can have their opinions about my post, it's ok, their experience may be different.

I am still wrestling with this application. Manuals be damned because that's not the problem. The manuals say:

2.6. You Don’t Have to Get it Perfect the First Time

and then they say BUT:

3.1.2. Limited Undo

So, do I have to get it perfect the first time or not? What I am seeing is YES, I better get it perfect because this thing is damned unforgiving if you don't do it 'right'.
immotus is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old June 7th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by immotus View Post
Other people can have their opinions about my post, it's ok, their experience may be different.

I am still wrestling with this application. Manuals be damned because that's not the problem. The manuals say:

2.6. You Don’t Have to Get it Perfect the First Time

and then they say BUT:

3.1.2. Limited Undo

So, do I have to get it perfect the first time or not? What I am seeing is YES, I better get it perfect because this thing is damned unforgiving if you don't do it 'right'.
I think the two statements are referring to different scopes. The limited Undo is referring to a finite number of undo options on things that have them, and also, some actions don't due to the nature of what you did. That doesn't necessarily mean you're stuck with them, but it can't be undone with a single keystroke or click.

The don't have to get it perfect the first time, IMO, refers to how you arrange your data. As has been pointed out many times, there are many ways of doing things, so experimenting to see what works for you is expected and sometimes, it won't.
weogarth is offline   #50 Reply With Quote