Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Rev Haus 235

Send a message via AIM to Rev Haus 235 Send a message via Yahoo to Rev Haus 235

Old June 15th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I've noticed a strange thing when I equip two weapons for combat.

The first thing that I noticed is that when I equip melee weapons, my off hand weapon damage loses a +1 from it, so instead of being +3 it becomes +2.

The second thing that I noticed is that when I equip firearms (yes, I've added them in because they go in the setting my group plays in) my offhand gains a point of damage, so it goes from being +2 to +3.

The first thing that I did was check my custom weapons and see if I had clicked on the "Off hand damage" by accident, but that does not appear to be the case.

I'm very confused as to why this is happening, any suggestions?

I'm also running into an issue with the damage numbers, some of the weapons in the setting I play in have damage dive set at 2d6+1. But I can't seem to figure out how to make it do the +1 part for the damage on the portfolio. It's not anything strange like a power, or magic bonus, that's just the normal listed damage for the weapon.
Any help there?
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 15th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I am not able to reproduce your issues, so either its a very specific case or it has something to do with your homegrown content. If you are able to reproduce the first issue with regular weapons, can you tell me the exact steps you used? If not, then maybe you can send me your .por and .user files so I can check it out.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM
First issue, off-hand weapon damage is 1/2 the main hand weapon damage as per the RAW. Not sure if that is the issue, but I thought I'd point that out. Even with two-weapon fighting, this is the case, you do less Strength damage with your off-hand than you main hand.

Second issue, this might be tied to the first issue in some way. Firearms shouldn't be getting Strength damage. It might be thinking that you are using it as a two-handed weapon? Not completely sure about the issue here, is the original +2 also Strength damage?

Third issue, if your weapon does standard 2d6+1, you can put that directly into the weapon. If the weapon damage is always 2d6+1, you can place that value in the Weapon editor under Fixed Damage. If, on the other hand, you just want to directly modify it, you can add to the wDamBonus field in a script thusly.

Code:
field[wDamBonus].value += 1
If your firearms are not supposed to do Strength damage, then you should set both the Maximum Strength Bonus and Maximum Strength Penalty both to 0 in the Weapon tab of the Editor for each firearm.
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 17th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Ok. So let me get this straight...
Strength bonus to damage is halved in the off -hand? If so, that solves that issue. Using two daggers, using only the basic stuff loaded I could easily reproduce the +2 changing to +1... so this seems to make sense.

No, the firearms do not do strength damage. The Max Strength Bonus and Max Strength Penalty are both already set to 0.

I also found that changing the weapon from Light to One-Handed under "Class" seems to have helped fix the problem.

Thanks for your help guys. ;-)
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Haus 235 View Post
I also found that changing the weapon from Light to One-Handed under "Class" seems to have helped fix the problem.
Just want to make sure, is your Two-Pistol Fighting still working with them no longer as light weapons? Make sure about that, if so, no worries. Light weapons are -2 to each attack for the guns, but one-handed weapons would be -4 to each attack if you copied directly from two-weapon fighting.
Kendall-DM is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 17th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Damn, you are totally right about the difference in penalties for "Light" versus "One handed". Good call. I switched "One Handed" back to "Light" and the bonuses go back to where they should be.

The damage on guns is static, strength doesn't modify it, so using the "Fixed Damage" section seems to work out for solving the problem with the guns for now.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 18th, 2012, 09:12 AM
A problem with using the Fixed Damage field is that nothing will ever modify the damage, not just the Str mod. For example, a fighter who takes weapon spec in a gun should still get +2 damage yes?

For this reason I recommend you follow KendallDM's recommendation and use the max weapon Str and min weapon Str fields or tags
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Even with the Max and Min Strength fields set at zero, it continues to add the plus one when I take a pistol in my second hand. This happens whether the weapon is set as a light weapon, or a one handed weapon (that does effect its effective attack bonuses though). Even then, the weapon is only Light because there are ways to make a weapon weigh less, through various customizations in the form of materials or item powers.

I also now have the problem of a pistol that uses 4d4+1 as its damage, but there is not a 4d4 option in the drop down menu for damage dice.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 18th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hmm. I don't know why the pistol would get +1 when equipped in 2 hands. Can you send me the file so I can take a look? E-mail is my name here, "at" symbol, then wolflair.com. I'm working to a deadline for an upcoming book, but I'll investigate further after that is done, later in the week.

As for the 4d4, you'll have to use the fixed damage field for that, since there doesn't exist a tag for that damage.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Aaron,

Thanks for trying to help. I emailed you the associated files. Hopefully you can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks so much for your help, but please make sure to get your book stuff done in time for the deadline. ;-)
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote