Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Vargr

Old February 18th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Ctrl-Enter starts a new snippet, if you need to add several of your language snippets at once.
Unfortunately this works only for text snippets.

A short cut for simply "Repeat the snippet type the cursor is in and place it below" would be very useful if it could handle all types of snippets :-)

Mabe even have two short cut versions; one that makes an empty snippet and one that copies all content as well.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Ckorik

Old February 19th, 2017, 09:26 AM
I guess I don't understand - I have many (many) duplicate names but didn't get any errors and haven't had any problems.

What exactly is the limitation here? I have (right now) I think like 8 'Thugs' scenes (for example) and I just turn off the name from even being matched.
Ckorik is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 19th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckorik View Post
I guess I don't understand - I have many (many) duplicate names but didn't get any errors and haven't had any problems.

What exactly is the limitation here? I have (right now) I think like 8 'Thugs' scenes (for example) and I just turn off the name from even being matched.
The problem is the name of the snippets within the category definition, not the title of topics.
Farling is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 19th, 2017, 10:09 AM
The restrictions are in the background, where you define how topics and tags work.

You can have many topics with the same name, and many snippets within a topic with the same name, but you will have to add any extra snippets, after the first, yourself.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 20th, 2017, 02:41 PM
I don't know what the LWD folks were seeing but this is an unfortunate decision, one building on other unfortunate decisions we've seen over the past year or so. Hopefully (for LWD and the RW users!) it's creating a stronger base instead of a house of cards. :(

I also have some duplication issues in my Paranoia realm. I use the exact same two snippet types (Source and Description) in many of my Categories. In a few of those Categories one or both are duplicated because I have sections for the players and GM, both of which cite their sources because those sources are typically in separate books and/or separate sections of the same book.

Overall it's not a huge issue; I'm sure I'll end up renaming them once I get sick of the error message. I won't like how they look afterwards because I'd rather they were the same, but that's the restriction.

Would it have made a difference if Snippet Types were defined separately from their use in the templates for new Topics/Articles? (The Category definition process conflates those two functions.)

Last edited by Parody; February 20th, 2017 at 02:44 PM.
Parody is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2017, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
A short cut for simply "Repeat the snippet type the cursor is in and place it below" would be very useful if it could handle all types of snippets :-)

Mabe even have two short cut versions; one that makes an empty snippet and one that copies all content as well.
The first suggestion is an intriguing idea. I've added it to the todo list.

I'm not sure duplicating a snippet with full contents is something that occurs with any frequency whatsoever, so the jury is still out on the second suggestion.
rob is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2017, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Would it have made a difference if Snippet Types were defined separately from their use in the templates for new Topics/Articles? (The Category definition process conflates those two functions.)
Unfortunately, not in the slightest. If that were the issue, we could have focused on teasing that apart, which would have been a non-trivial amount of work but still tractable.

I guess it may seem like the category definition process conflates topics and articles. In actuality, the topics and articles are unified under the covers and differentiated through their external presentation. So it's really just the opposite that's going on. And there are definite reasons for having done it this way, which I delved into a little bit in a different thread pretty recently.
rob is offline   #17 Reply With Quote