Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

mamastoast

Old January 19th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Hi, my group is currently playing shadowrun for the first time and I'm having some questions with regards to the Control Actions spell. I'm used to DnD 5e where spells give very detailed mechanic explanations to how they work, so they lack of detail in this spell leaves me confused.

What I do know:
Assuming the spell hits, you are able to force the target to any action you'd like, aslong as you spend the own action yourself. So forcing the target to make an attack takes a major action from yourself.

Unlike control thoughts, this spell is obvious to the target being controlled and is almost certain to make them hostile.

What I don't know:
When does the target take the actions you make them take? On your turn? On their turn?

Does the target spend their own actions following your commands? And if you don't order them to do anything, do they act on their own or do they just stand around in a puppet-like state?

The spell takes a major action to cast, and to make the target do anything meaningful you'll need an additional action, which you most likely won't have untill your next turn, which leaves the spell seem pretty ineffective.. specially if the target can act normally on their turn.

The spell already seems significantly weaker than Control thoughts, so I'm kinda hoping the spell functions better than I suspect it might.
mamastoast is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old January 19th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamastoast View Post
Hi, my group is currently playing shadowrun for the first time and I'm having some questions with regards to the Control Actions spell. I'm used to DnD 5e where spells give very detailed mechanic explanations to how they work, so they lack of detail in this spell leaves me confused.
I think the problem here is that the spell in the rulebook doesn't give any more information. HL can't include detail that wasn't already made available. Try a Shadowrun forum to see if anyone else has asked/answered this question. One of the Magic sourcebooks might give a bit more info on Manipulation spells too.

Personally: Since its a sustained spell, I'd assume the target acts on their turns. It's more powerful than Control Thoughts because you aren't influencing an action - you are making them do exactly what you want them to do.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.

Last edited by Dami; January 19th, 2021 at 09:00 PM.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Necoya

Old June 30th, 2021, 04:53 AM
I've played a Mind Control mage and have 100s+ hours GMing. Here is my 2 cents.

When does the target take the actions you make them take? On your turn? On their turn?

It takes the action on your turn. You're essential inhabiting there body more or less.

Does the target spend their own actions following your commands? And if you don't order them to do anything, do they act on their own or do they just stand around in a puppet-like state?

They can't act on their own as you have control of their body like a puppetmaster. You spend your actions to make them do things.

The spell takes a major action to cast, and to make the target do anything meaningful you'll need an additional action, which you most likely won't have untill your next turn, which leaves the spell seem pretty ineffective.. specially if the target can act normally on their turn.

It takes a complex action to cast and you take control over their body. They can't act on their turn and as long as your sustain it then you can use your action to take control of them. Its effective because you shut down an enemy from acting for a turn and all turns going forward.

The spell already seems significantly weaker than Control Thoughts, so I'm kinda hoping the spell functions better than I suspect it might.

Its stronger than Control Thoughts because this is doing actions for the character. Control Thoughts is just implementing an idea which the target may not do exactly what you intended them to do. As a GM I don't let player cheese Control Thoughts.

-----

With Control Actions the character its on knows they are possessed but everyone else does not. So an aspected sorcerer with firearms skills and this spell could be causing to ripe old confusion & damage by shooting any number of people. Even if the sorcerer doesn't have firearms, it takes no skill to pull the pin on a grenade and drop it.
Necoya is offline   #3 Reply With Quote