Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Namikaze

Old January 25th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Alright, so I've tooled around in Realm Works for a while, several weeks I suppose. It sure seems like getting it to work nicely for Shadowrun is becoming a huge pain in the butt.

Is there anyone who has made their own default Shadowrun realm that I could start from?
Namikaze is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:44 AM
Even if someone had, I don't think there is a way to share realms yet other than invite you as a player. My guess is you're going to need to add or edit a few topic categories within a realm you create in order to make it work. With the exception of maybe the Matrix, I can see most everything else falling into existing categories, or something close. (For example: Corporations = Group:Commerce = ).
KefkaZ is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Geg

Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:07 AM
I'm using RW with Shadowrun for a while now. In my opinion it works very well.

Maybe I can answer some specific questions...
Geg is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old March 3rd, 2015, 03:42 AM
What KefkaZ said.

Everything you need to put your SR5 stuff into RW is already there, or can be easily added.

People, Self Explanatory.
Places, Self Explanatory.
Things, Self Explanatory.

What your need to think about for SR versus other systems is the Matrix and the Astral.

So, here's a couple of ideas for you.

Matrix:
Each place will have a Matrix of sorts. Maybe just an AR description. So go into your settings and customize your Places category to add a Matrix section under Manage>Categories. In this new section, describe the AR of the location. Be it filled with adware for a mall, incoming chats at a bar, or intrusion attempt alerts for a cybercafe. The first Snippet I'd put here is a Noise rating. I'd create a new tag that can be numerical (like level is) and name it Noise. Under the Matrix section in your places, put that tag in there so you can have a way of tracking the Noise rating for each place should you ever need it.

For a Node or a server that your hacker will be going into, that also goes under places. A Region: Dimensional is where you'd start mapping out your Decker's hacking run. Go with the default sections to keep it simple, or add new topics to the category under Manage>Categories if you think you need to.

Astral:
Do the same as you did for Matrix for the places categories, but this time, label it Astral. In this, you're going to both describe the Astral for any perceiving mages. Again, just like with Matrix, you're adding an Astral section. And, just like with Matrix, you want to add a new Tag called Background Count. First snippet = Background Count. Next = Astral Description. You can put nifty things under that category as well, like an astral Mage who is watching over a Johnson at a meet, for example. Go ahead and put his stats in there too, that's what it's there for.

Now, if a location has a specific Astral realm or you really want to make it stand out for you and your players (should they go there), use either Region Dimensional, or Region Celestial (yes, I know, that's for star systems, but I would have each represent something different). Again, just like with matrix, you're going to put in all your Astral realm stuff.

Integration:
Once you've set up your location topics to have both Matrix and Astral, you're going to need to occasionally have a full blown Matrix (for a hack) or Astral (for an uppity mage) topic for a location.

Just create a new Dimension or Celestial topic and put them under your container for the location in question. So you have a main topic for an Ares office building, and topics for each room in the building. Under the Office Building topic, put a Dimensional (Matrix) topic for the servers there, and a Celestial (Astral) topic for anything that your runners might come up against. Go ahead and do this where ever you need to. If a Room has a particular Astral event happening there, then put it in the room and reference it under the building's Astral topic.

Don't be afraid to nest some of these topics together either. Your Matrix Topics should have a few other matrix topics contained under them. So, Public Wi-Fi has another topic called Main Server, which has a few topics for Desktops, and maybe a few for Turrets. Be creative, and use what works best for your own organization.

Now, alternatively, instead of just using Dimensional and Celestial topics, you could create your own from scratch under Manage>Categories as well. OR, you can copy those, and rename them to be Region: Matrix and Region: Astral as well. If you do this, then you'll be able to get rid of everything under the existing ones and then create your own topics with tags, pictures, statblocks, you name it.

I mentioned Tags. You're going to want to look over tags and hide the ones you don't want while creating ones you do. It's really easy to do. Hide things like Level or Class, and add things like Background Count, Noise, or Essence.

I know this is a wall of text, but really, setting ups SR for RW takes very little time, and is very intuitive once you're getting into it.

Good luck!
Pollution is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:12 AM
I'm highly interested to peek at some sr realms. It would be great to get an invite. In exchange I can share my realm as well, just note that I have created everything in German language. If you want to share/exchange let me via pm or invite

EDIT: fixed typos

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

Last edited by Acenoid; March 5th, 2015 at 11:27 AM.
Acenoid is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Namikaze

Old March 18th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner - I honestly thought that my thread was going to die on the vine and I'd almost given up hope on people replying. :P

The big thing that I'm noticing about integrating SR with Realm Works is that there is a lot of content pre-generated for Realm Works that seems to work really well for fantasy games. Maybe I'm just not well-versed in customizing Realm Works though. Is there a comprehensive tutorial? I tried looking through the tips and tricks sticky, but it's not really what I'm looking for.

I'm confident that with a little bit of a push in the right direction, I can implement all the modifications that y'all have so kindly suggested.
Namikaze is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Geg

Old March 19th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Have you watched the youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHmz...YdJclkoUUn8naV

My Experience with RW and SR is, that RW is just a Framework. You can use as much as you want or don't. I started with a Realm and just played around with all the features and possibilities I found in RW.
Don't be afraid to break something. Just play around.

When you get a feeling how RW works you will soon understand that you can do nearly anything. The Question is only: How? And again: There is no right or wrong approach as long as it works for you.

Pollution has a few nice Ideas: For Matrix/Astral:
Make a Place, "The Greenhorn Inn". Fill in all the Information you want. If there is a snippet you don't need: delete it. If you need a new Snippet: Add it. It is just that simple.
If don't want to remove/add the Snippets for all you Places, you could alter/create Categories: Manage -> Categories.

Hope that helps. Just watch the Viedos and maybe you could also have a look at the Manuals: Within RW go to Help -> Manual.
Geg is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Geg

Old April 6th, 2015, 11:44 PM
As I run a Shadowrun Campaign based on Brainscan, I develop my Realm as we move on with the story.

I just made some screenshots to give you an idea (Most of them are in german). IMHO there is no right or wrong way to use RealmWorks as long as it helps you as a GM to manage everything.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...kk&usp=sharing

My SR5 Tumblr
German RealmWorks Community

Last edited by Geg; April 7th, 2015 at 04:14 AM.
Geg is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old April 7th, 2015, 04:08 AM
I read not one lick of German. Even still, those were some really good screenshots to show what/how you're doing things. I love it.

You look like you have a really nice realm going there. Good on you!
Pollution is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Geg

Old April 7th, 2015, 04:15 AM
Oh... I did forget to mention that these are in german. Sorry for that. And thank you

My SR5 Tumblr
German RealmWorks Community
Geg is offline   #10 Reply With Quote