Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

duhtroll

Old March 17th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Hello -

I've reached a point where HL desktop is no longer usable for high level or complex PCs or monsters due to the number of variables and added content.

This is for Windows 10 desktop but it crashes on every one of my devices in addition to every device I have ever used for HL. Over the years I would bet I have had HL installed on at least 10 different devices (desktops, laptops, ipads), so I know it is not one device.

It does this on old files and retyped fresh ones, before and after updates.

I have almost all of the available PF content purchased and I am sure that is part of it since I can go a couple hours on low level PCs before a crash but only a few seconds on advanced mythic PCs. I actually have to check a few boxes, hit save, check a few boxes, crash, repeat. Typing in text is almost a guarantee of a crash. I am typing this after attempt #5 or 6 trying to update one spell.

I do not see an error dump file in the hero lab directory and I do not know where to look. I'd be happy to share some of them if someone can point me to them. The HL installation is default directory but the portfolios are in dropbox.

Just trying to avoid taking 2 hours to update one Form of the Dragon III spell adjustment.

Thank for any help offered.
duhtroll is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old March 17th, 2019, 03:26 PM
It would be best to send one of the offending portfolio files to the support e-mail address (support@wolflair.com) including a description of your problem.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
duhtroll

Old March 18th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Thank you - have done so. Will update if/when I have answers.
duhtroll is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old April 28th, 2019, 12:03 AM
Our group has noticed this too. We all use HL and we usually play Gestalt characters. After level 5-6, the portfolios become less and less stable. We've had crashes clicking incrementers on Inplay, Skills, and Spells; activating/deactivating abilities on InPlay or Adjust; or pretty much doing anything that causes it to calculate. Skills seems especially bad. Adding equipment on high level characters we usually do 1 item at a time and save inbetween each. Heck, one of our players even had HL close (no error, just went away) when switching from InPlay to Adjust tab.

I was hoping that the x64 version would help, since it allows more memory, but I just crashed out with similar behavior as the x86 version.
Valdacil is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 28th, 2019, 05:32 PM
I haven't had herolab crash and I run many campaigns to high levels as the GM, I own about 75% of the PF content. There is one person in my group that does crash occasionally, the one thing about his setup that is different then mine is that he has 100% of the content and most of the 3rd party content too. I typically keep unused content unchecked too, whereas he does not.

There may be some conflict between packs that exacerbates the problem, have you tried turning off unused content?
Toblakai is offline   #5 Reply With Quote