Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

thaX

Old August 19th, 2021, 08:40 PM
Likely, it is self made files from users putting the information in, not the files being sold on the web site. The main reason for the program is to aid in making of the character for the user to play. Piracy of other companies' content, either the compiled files for use of the program or relayed info from the builder within the program, is not a good reason to exclude them or disallow players to transfer the info needed to play the game.

I know Lonewolf has been very good at keeping IP from being "leaked" on their end, and a lot of mechanics of PF1 in particular had some very hard work arounds that put a strain on the program in the latter stages of it's run.

Something like this is perhaps the reason Lonewolf went to an Online App instead of sticking with the (Still superior) program. I am surprised that there isn't a bootleg of Etools somewhere around with all the extras up until it was yanked from the market.

It is well known for this? A surprise for me to hear this, as the licensing that the program uses makes it difficult, at least for the typical user.
thaX is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Roadie

Old August 20th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Copyright may be a reason, but I'd imagine that just as a big a reason has to be the .por format and all its legacy bits and custom XML trees being a pain in the butt to work with, as compared to the HLO API just giving you a big JSON feed that any half-competent web dev can write a parser for in an afternoon.
Roadie is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 22nd, 2021, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Copyright may be a reason, but I'd imagine that just as a big a reason has to be the .por format and all its legacy bits and custom XML trees being a pain in the butt to work with, as compared to the HLO API just giving you a big JSON feed that any half-competent web dev can write a parser for in an afternoon.
The import of the XML files from inside .por files isn't too complicated - my realm works importer is doing it for 2 (soon to be 3) game systems.

Foundry VTT provides core functionality which doesn't, by itself, directly support importing from anywhere. It is entirely up to community (or paid for) modules to provide any actual import/export functions.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #13 Reply With Quote