Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bando

Old August 8th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I'm very new to Tabletop gaming an pathfinder. (Just had our 2nd session)
I just bought Hero Lab and I'm trying to figure out how to make a house rule adjustment.

Our group has a rule that shifts the spells available normally at level 4 so they are available at level 1.

Is it possible to make an adjustment to move the scale or is this something that would require a script via the editor?

I tried searching the forums without much success. I searched for terms like "starting spell level" "level 4 spells" "adjust spells available". Perhaps I'm not using correct terms, or do folks not normally use this kind of house rule?

Hopefully I'm just being dense and its something easy I've overlooked.
Bando is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:30 AM
So you would actually want the Level 4 spells to be available as level 1 spells? So Ice Storm is a Level 4 spell normally requiring a level 7 caster to cast. You instead want to make it level 1 available to a level 1 caster?

Yea no adjustment to do that actually. I am shocked as most houserules are to nerf the casters not make them stronger!

But you could do this using the editor. No script required actually. My question is what levels do all the other spells become? So is it ONLY level 4 spells or this also include level 5, 6, 7, 8 , 9? I ask as I can think of a way to do this with a script and if your talking about "Every" spell above level 3 it would be better with a script.

Otherwise you could go into the editor and on the "Spell" tab do a "New (Copy)" of the a spell. Give it a new "Unique ID" and then simply change the spell level of 4 to 1. This would give a new spell that you could select at level 1. If you want this change to Override the base spell then you would have to enter the "Unique ID" of the original base spell into the "Replaces Thing ID" box on the right side.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old August 9th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I think the OP is asking how to change the spell slots so that the chart for a 4th level character applies to a 1st level character. At least, that's how I read it.

There is no simple adjustment that "slides" the chart up/down. The progression of spell slots from the chart are encoded into the design of the class, so that each class calculates what slots it has at a given level.

As houserules go, even if it is not what ShadowChemosh thought was intended, that's still a pretty significant power-up for a low level character.

What you could do (I think; not able to test at the moment) is to add a set of "Spell Slots" adjustments (one per spell level) and manually adjust the number of slots available. You would have to adjust these each time the character gained a level, to reflect the new values.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old August 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM
If you are just wanting to change the Spells per Day, you could do an Archetype that changes that, or duplicate the class and change it there. One of the more simple things to do, but still requires some effort.
Umarian is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bando

Old August 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
What you could do (I think; not able to test at the moment) is to add a set of "Spell Slots" adjustments (one per spell level) and manually adjust the number of slots available. You would have to adjust these each time the character gained a level, to reflect the new values.
I found that I could do exactly this after I posted last night. For the moment, this seems the easiest.
In the long run I'd like to learn how to make some sort of override rules that apply to any character.

Oh, and tabletop gaming is way, way more fun than I had imagined. Thanks!
Bando is offline   #5 Reply With Quote