Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Merion

Old December 3rd, 2018, 06:38 AM
Realm Works gives you a lot of options and with active development having picked up again, we'll hopefully see more in the future.

This brings me to the UI, the accessment and location of all these options. Even as a frequent user for several years, I keep searching options and we see asking people for help here regularly.
I think this is because they are spread out over the screen and visually hidden in drop-down menus behind the hammer and wrench symbol. I'm not a fan of drop-downs. Even though I was sceptical at first, I think the last ten years have shown that ribbons are the better way to do it. RW already has ribbons, but uses them only sparsly.
Other programs like MS Office have a basic set of ribbon tabs and context-sensitive others that only appear when appropriate (like picture or table tools).

Thus my concrete suggestion is:
Move everything that is currently in a option menu to ribbon menus and maybe hide those that aren't currently useful for the player.
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 3rd, 2018, 11:43 AM
I am probably just an old goat that haven't moved with the times and have no idea what young people want, but I hate ribbons.

I work a lot with excel (making spreadsheets) and the ribbons have slowed down my working speed quite a bit.

Apart from that, it would be helpful to make the location of some of the options more obvious.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 3rd, 2018, 11:54 AM
I've said multiple times that RW is a non-Ribbon Ribbon application, basically because they made the decision to not put the commands in the Ribbon. I doubt it's going to change now.

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 3rd, 2018, 04:30 PM
I think the problem with this is the configuration options are specific to snippets. Ribbons are great for things that are specific to the topic but RW isnt really designed that way.

I'd love to see an expanded right click menu on Snippets. I think you could utilise that quite successfully. Simply right click a snippet to have the tool box menu options come up. Would be quicker and easier for people to grasp.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old December 3rd, 2018, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I am probably just an old goat that haven't moved with the times and have no idea what young people want, but I hate ribbons.

I work a lot with excel (making spreadsheets) and the ribbons have slowed down my working speed quite a bit.

Apart from that, it would be helpful to make the location of some of the options more obvious.
Me too.

The ribbon structure in Office 365 is just plain horrible and slows me down every single time.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 4th, 2018, 03:03 AM
Well, I guess there are still quite a few people who don't like using ribbons.

Actually, the ribbons part is the less important point I'm trying to make here. The main problem in my eyes is that the options are so spread out, not immediatly visible and need too many clicks to be reached.

I would want them to be in one place, more accessible and easier to find. Whatever form this then would take.
Merion is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 8th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I think the problem with this is the configuration options are specific to snippets. Ribbons are great for things that are specific to the topic but RW isnt really designed that way.

I'd love to see an expanded right click menu on Snippets. I think you could utilise that quite successfully. Simply right click a snippet to have the tool box menu options come up. Would be quicker and easier for people to grasp.
This!

The only good thing in the Excel 2016 Interface - and it works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Well, I guess there are still quite a few people who don't like using ribbons.

Actually, the ribbons part is the less important point I'm trying to make here. The main problem in my eyes is that the options are so spread out, not immediatly visible and need too many clicks to be reached.

I would want them to be in one place, more accessible and easier to find. Whatever form this then would take.
I agree - while ribbons and their usefulness is debatable the need for some better organisation and better visibility of the options is not (IMNSHO).

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; December 8th, 2018 at 08:13 AM.
Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 9th, 2018, 10:54 PM
I am OK with the interface as is, but I want more shortcuts and the ribbon to be more quick in displaying the shortcuts in the formatting tab (Alt+f)

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 10th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Ribbons are tough. A single static, or nearly static one rarely satisfies anyone. Bunches of ribbons just clutter the screen and make it hard to find what you're looking for. I can't think of a single application where I routinely use the ribbon over the menus or shortcuts.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old December 15th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Interestingly enough, Microsoft is now going away from the ribbon in some of their office 365 software (or at least in the beta versions). I find there is a case to be made for both ways depending on circumstances. I tend to be a "right click" kind of guy myself.
Gord is offline   #10 Reply With Quote