Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Eilserves

Old September 8th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find a thread that addresses this, every thread focuses on a specific item. I'm wondering if there's a way to add a "Custom" wondrous item that could be used to then create hand crafted items using the "Magic Item Crafting" Rules.

For example, by the rules it's possible to craft a Belt of Physical Perfection that is ALSO a Median Belt, just at a higher cost. But there's no way presently to do this in HL Without going into the editor, making a unique custom item (and figuring out the editor, which in my case is a work in progress).

We have options for custom Magic Weapons, and custom Magic Armor. Custom Bracers of Armor, custom Potions, custom Scrolls, custom Wands. But we don't have any way to make custom Wondrous Items. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just too complicated for HL to process?

Last edited by Eilserves; September 9th, 2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: fixed a couple typos...
Eilserves is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old September 9th, 2015, 06:06 AM
The system for making magic weapons mirrors the rules described in the game for making magic weapons (and armor, and shields) ... from the beginning, there are tables of equivalences (powers "priced" as equivalent to a +2 bonus, etc.) to be used when creating custom magic weapons/armor/shields. Aside from "Specific" weapons/armors/shields, this is the standard method for making them.

In contrast, there is no similar rule set for combining multiple effects in other magic items. The standard rule is the items as they are described. A system for mix-n-match DIY item creation would be enormously difficult to implement. So I expect that's why it is not there now.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 9th, 2015, 12:59 PM
The current method is to use the Editor to make such a combination item.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Eilserves

Old September 9th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I was basing this query/request off the rules in the Core Rule book on page 549 (4th printing) and specifically the section on Adding new abilities on pg 553. There are rules there for adding new abilities, and one of the examples is adding Invisibility to a Ring of Protection +2 and the pricing for it. But it may be too difficult to implement, as you said. I'll fiddle around more with the Editor since that appears to be the only solution at this time. Thanks for replying!

______
Thanks, also, ShadowChemosh for replying. You snuck in while I was writing the above.
Eilserves is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 9th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilserves View Post
Thanks, also, ShadowChemosh for replying. You snuck in while I was writing the above.
Like a ninja I have panther like reflexes!

I think part of problem with magic items is that some of "pricing" is not clear cut really. The rules reference that price should also be judged based on similar items.

We did recently get Polymorph spell adjustments done by Aaron. That was something that is also very difficult and been asked for a long time. So HL keeps adding "new" features. The ability to make custom Elvin Chain was also put in recently. Looks promising that one point in the future we will get custom wondrous items.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote