Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

weogarth

Old November 8th, 2014, 08:05 AM
So yeah, gotta say, first thing I thought when I saw the email about the survey was 'Will it let me pick CALENDAR 10 times?'.

Yeah, subtle, I know. Kinda losing patience on this one; should have been in 1.0 IMO and we're a long way past that. Ok, guess it's not 'kinda'.

Please be mindful of my general overwhelming support of LWD and their decisions if you're inclined to flame me for this....
weogarth is offline   #161 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Definitely not going to flame you, weogarth. (Aside: every time I read your name, I think "we owe Garth nothing".)

And I agree. If I could put my priority list in, it would have calendar several times. And yes, I think it should have been in 1.0, but I do understand why it wasn't (as I'm sure you do, too).

I have the sneaking suspicion that we have a lot of developer support for it, too. No inside information that's not in the public domain, but various comments lead me to believe that LWD really want to get calendars up and running for public consumption.

Which is why I'm currently patiently waiting on the survey, at which point I'm going to be blitzing every means I have to get people to flag calendars as high as possible.

With the survey, we have the power to direct the development, and it's up to us to make good use of that power. Responsibly, of course. Last thing I want is to annoy Rob.

Or, to put it another way: if calendars don't top the survey, we have no-one to blame but ourselves.
Chemlak is offline   #162 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
if calendars don't top the survey, we have no-one to blame but ourselves.
If they do not top the survey it will have nothing to do with blame, but the fact more people chose another feature they want first. I can live with that, if more people want feature X or Y than calendars and use their power to direct Rob and team to that first?

So be it, the owners have spoken, fairly and openly. I want Calendars first, but I will accept the outcome of the survey with out prejudice.
Exmortis is offline   #163 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
t I will accept the outcome of the survey with out prejudice.
"Official survey results report that the overwhelming number one request was a raise and a vacation for Rob and Liz, and new cars too."

Seems legit to me...
MaxSupernova is offline   #164 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
"Official survey results report that the overwhelming number one request was a raise and a vacation for Rob and Liz, and new cars too."

Seems legit to me...
HAHA as long as it doesn't state "Exmortis is paying for those new cars" I am ok with it, I can barely afford my own.
Exmortis is offline   #165 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
If they do not top the survey it will have nothing to do with blame, but the fact more people chose another feature they want first. I can live with that, if more people want feature X or Y than calendars and use their power to direct Rob and team to that first?

So be it, the owners have spoken, fairly and openly. I want Calendars first, but I will accept the outcome of the survey with out prejudice.
Spot on.....
IF LWD takes the community "pulse" as valid and not decide they "know" best.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #166 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:58 AM
It's starting to feel like Lord of the Flies around here....

LWD will likely use the data from the survey to develop a viable action plan that satisfies most of the people most of the time while also including updates/upgrades to features that we may not even know we want yet. I can't even begin to understand or fathom what is contingent upon what; but LWD certainly has a good idea and that will likely be a primary driver. I'd be curious whether the survey ends up shaping their plans, influencing them or validating what they are already planning to do -- probably all three.
AEIOU is offline   #167 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old November 10th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
It's starting to feel like Lord of the Flies around here....

LWD will likely use the data from the survey to develop a viable action plan that satisfies most of the people most of the time while also including updates/upgrades to features that we may not even know we want yet. I can't even begin to understand or fathom what is contingent upon what; but LWD certainly has a good idea and that will likely be a primary driver. I'd be curious whether the survey ends up shaping their plans, influencing them or validating what they are already planning to do -- probably all three.
Agreed
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #168 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old November 10th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I'm certainly not going to want to kill a pig (they did that in LotF, right? Been awhile ) if the survey doesn't put Calendars in the top 3. Perhaps a bottle of brew, but then again, that's a fairly regular occurance, hehe.

As Exmortis has pointed out, the survey will do the talking, and I'm good with that. End of story.

P.S. Calendar
weogarth is offline   #169 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old November 11th, 2014, 03:45 AM
I certainly didn't want to leave the impression that I consider the survey to be some sort of guarantee of priority from LWD: they've never operated that way, so I certainly don't expect it now.

The survey is an opportunity for us to say "these are the features we want", which LWD will then use as guidance to shape their plans. We know that they intend to develop features in parallel, and if calendars don't fit with other development plans, but they can get quick wins from other features, I fully expect those other features to come first. And that's fine by me. At some point the development cycle will come round to a time where our desire for calendars weighs together with staff availability and development costs, and calendars will be scheduled. The higher up the survey results calendars fall, the sooner that time will come, because LWD know that customer satisfaction matters.

"First on the survey" means nothing more than telling LWD "this is what we want, as soon as you can", and the lower down the survey it falls, the longer we are likely to have to wait, unless development conditions mean that calendars become a quick win in preference to other desirable features.

So, when I say "we have no-one to blame but ourselves", I mean it solely in terms of where calendars fall in the survey results, with "we" being the entire user base that completes the survey, which ultimately is only one factor in when calendars hit the development queue. But it's the one factor that we, the users, can influence by making ourselves heard.
Chemlak is offline   #170 Reply With Quote