Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vampyre

Old January 1st, 2016, 01:05 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering, after having searched a little bit the forums and not seeing any post on this for the first 5 pages, if there was any news on the web player version. I do remember having seen videos of its demonstration. Having a mac laptop, I would definitely profit from that web player whenever I'm on the mac, be it in game, or simply while creating.

Could I ask you where we are with this feature ? Did I missed it somehow ?

Thanks to you all !
Vampyre is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 1st, 2016, 04:44 AM
You haven't missed anything. Content Market first, web version later.

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old January 1st, 2016, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the answer !
Vampyre is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 1st, 2016, 08:59 AM
Has anyone tried to run RW on a mac using one of the emulators? I no longer have a Mac laptop or I'd try myself.
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 1st, 2016, 09:42 AM
RW works just fine in a virtual machine. (I have it installed in a couple.)

Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old January 1st, 2016, 10:59 AM
RW doesn't work on the mac with Wine and Winebottler (same error with CrossOver). I managed to install it, but it doesn't launch properly, and exit with an error.

It works fine under bootcamp (logic, it's no longer used as a mac), and under anything like Parallels or a virtual machine software, which is also quite logical since it's layer is on Windows.
Vampyre is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old January 2nd, 2016, 08:49 AM
I run it using Parallels on my macbook and under bootcamp.
Works seamlessly, can even share content via player view on a secondary monitor.
adzling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
theparadox

Old February 9th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
You haven't missed anything. Content Market first, web version later.
That is very disappointing. I purchased Realm Works in October assuming the web player version would be ready in at least the next 6 months. I have a new campaign starting in the next few months and I assumed there would be something easily accessible that I could give my players.

As per the coming soon link on the main page:

Quote:
There are a handful of capabilities that will be our primary focus over the next few months...

Web-Based Player Access
Then in the next section...

Quote:
Looking beyond the next few months, there are many significant capabilities that we’ll be adding to Realm Works...but we don’t expect them to become our main focus until after the items above have been substantially completed...

Content Marketplace
While obviously the language "we don't expect" makes no promises but if this has already become the primary focus I think it is a bit disingenuous to leave the above quoted page up as is.

Anyway, that's how I feel.
theparadox is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 9th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I can understand your anticipation, but there is nothing disingenuous going on here. First, a four or five month is still only a "few months." Also, I do believe that they were hoping to have been further along by now. I think they ran into more issues than expected with conversion of all content in RW to HTML.

The conversion caused a lot of issues for many users. Most were quickly fixed, but some were more challenging. The conversion was absolutely necessary for the Web version, but ironing out all the post-conversion wrinkles, I think, delayed things a couple more months.

While CM first, Web version second, is accurate based on LWD's postings and updates, the two are tied together and the mandatory upgrade and format conversion was huge step towards the Web version, so it is definitely NOT the case that they sent out a teaser in October and then did nothing to move things forward.

It is frustrating to wait for things like the Web version, custom calendars, printing, etc. But the Content Market is both a far more complex coding challenge and the most critical one to get right. If they get it right and manage to make most content developers and most content consumers happy, then they will have a revenue steam that will help secure the product's future and provide funding that enables continued development.

Don't give up yet. CM and Web version *are* the primary focus and nobody wants these to be completed more than LWD.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
theparadox

Old February 10th, 2016, 02:53 AM
I guess part of my disappointment is the cost involved. While my free 6-month "Cloud" service wastes away I continue to pay for Obsidian Portal. Now I'm going to have to continue to pay for Obsidian Portal and then later pay for more cloud service and likely some other user licensing once LWD get the web version up. I also still feel that they should change the "Future" page so that it matches current circumstances. I get that things happen and the newsletters and such are likely more accurate but you shouldn't have to weigh conflicting information.

I should have just waited to purchased RW since I am just now starting to use it. Buyer's remorse is all.
theparadox is offline   #10 Reply With Quote