Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

daplunk

Old November 12th, 2016, 02:28 PM
This week ey Get back to that Rob, this is way not important haha.

I played with Syrinscape in the video. I like the concept but ultimately it's still not as efficient as I picture sound could be.

And this is a unique issue with sound IMO. When using RWs I would love to be able to come along in my prep and within the article, type the name of the music I want to play (eg: Play Music: Goblin Fight). Have it generate a link to the article that would exist in my mechanics section.

However... and this is the bit that's unique to sound. It's not even sound that's the issue. It's music and soundscapes specifically. Background audio.

Ideally that link should just play the music. And when I am finished with that tab, which will happen very quickly sometimes, the music should keep playing. And should the track end, there should be the ability to have to loop until I tell it to stop.

This is where I think something unique is required for sound management. Ideally the controls for sound would be better placed in the Realm Works tool bar instead of embedded in articles.

When I click a link that contain a specific audio snippet perhaps, it would be amazing if it called the music immediately and was able to be controlled using the method listed above.

Ideally I want music to be something I think about once, during prep. I come along and type the name of the music I want to play for that dungeon etc. When I run it, i click the link (and just that link, keeping in mind the music is a sub thought, I want to stay on the module content and avoid any delays for the table), it plays on repeat, and when I come to the next article with prepared music, I click that link and that takes over.

Anyway, just some constructive feedback. Don't you dare think about this until that Content Market is released

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is online now   #91 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 13th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Great minds think alike. I'm literally just about to edit and upload my own vid on custom cats and tags.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #93 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 13th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Hey daplunk, loving all your videos and those of others. Thanks for collecting them all in the first post.
Bidmaron is offline   #94 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 14th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Did my version of 'Where to Begin' today after watching your new video KBS666. Really enjoy watching how other people do things. My approach was pretty different but I'm a tad OCD Should be up in about 30 minutes but I'm hitting the sack.

Realm Works - Where To Begin!?!

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; November 14th, 2016 at 02:59 AM.
daplunk is online now   #95 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old November 14th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
This week ey

Ideally I want music to be something I think about once, during prep. I come along and type the name of the music I want to play for that dungeon etc. When I run it, i click the link (and just that link, keeping in mind the music is a sub thought, I want to stay on the module content and avoid any delays for the table), it plays on repeat, and when I come to the next article with prepared music, I click that link and that takes over.

Anyway, just some constructive feedback. Don't you dare think about this until that Content Market is released
I have to agree completely here. If I load an audio file into RW, and click it, the file opens in a new screen. That is terrible. If it is a short sound effect it is just too laborious a process (click to open, click to play, click to return to scene). If it is a longer background track I want it to loop and I need to stay in the original scene tab. I now load the audio files as hyperlinks to files on my local drive. This launches them in my native audio application. It limits me to using just my laptop, and would not be shareable in the content market, but I find the current implementation nearly unusable. Syrinscape functions better, but I find it overpriced for my purposes. This was a useful video, thanks! I don't want LWD spending time on this right now, we have bigger fish on the grill, but it is good info for the future.
meek75 is offline   #96 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old November 15th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Quote:

I played with Syrinscape in the video. I like the concept but ultimately it's still not as efficient as I picture sound could be.

And this is a unique issue with sound IMO. When using RWs I would love to be able to come along in my prep and within the article, type the name of the music I want to play (eg: Play Music: Goblin Fight). Have it generate a link to the article that would exist in my mechanics section.

However... and this is the bit that's unique to sound. It's not even sound that's the issue. It's music and soundscapes specifically. Background audio.

Ideally that link should just play the music. And when I am finished with that tab, which will happen very quickly sometimes, the music should keep playing. And should the track end, there should be the ability to have to loop until I tell it to stop.

This is where I think something unique is required for sound management. Ideally the controls for sound would be better placed in the Realm Works tool bar instead of embedded in articles.

When I click a link that contain a specific audio snippet perhaps, it would be amazing if it called the music immediately and was able to be controlled using the method listed above.

I've tinkered around with this idea as well, and it's already something that RealmWorks could do if we had the right kind of external software handling a custom URI (e.g. the "syrinscape://" part instead of "html://" or "file://").

Short of forcing a third party program to run in the background upon certain conditions for some URLs and not others, or implementing their own sound player within RealmWorks itself, I don't really see what more LW can do for us here.

I'll check it out a bit further and see if we can cook up something like a pair of play-once:// and play-loop:// URIs through a wrapper program that would either play sound files directly in the background or use filthy trickses to have another media player run in the background without popups or interruptions to the GM's workflow.
DaFranker is offline   #97 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 19th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Quote:

For the record, there IS a vision for all of this. But we're not there yet, and we have to stay focused - as you've emphasized here.

I love seeing ideas like this, so DO NOT STOP posting them, even when I say there's already a vision. Ideas from users help me to validate (or invalidate) my own ideas, plus they often contain gems that I haven't yet considered and need to integrate into that vision. So keep them coming!
rob is offline   #98 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 20th, 2016, 04:00 AM
This is a great thing you do daplunk. Thanks.

I have watched all your videos, and you've given me some great ideas.
Bidmaron is offline   #100 Reply With Quote