Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AlphaDeadOne

Old December 9th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Tried doing a search for this question with no luck (my martial arts in this skill sucks) so here goes.

I have changed my Individual category to have species instead of races (Star Wars) and while I was entering these I cam across my problem.
Some species have sub races and some do not.

Is there a way for RW to open an extra snippet if a certain race/species was taken and then select a sub species after that?

May the force be with everyone next week when the movie comes out
AlphaDeadOne is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:03 PM
In short: No.

Something similar has been discussed for tags.

Live Long and Prosper! (oups, wrong galaxy...)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:52 PM
No, sorry, don't have that.

Would you care for a jelly baby?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AlphaDeadOne

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Something similar has been discussed for tags.
Has it made as far as a Feature Request?

Also thanks for the info
AlphaDeadOne is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 10th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Your best bet, until scripting comes along (scripting is coming I assume), is to include a subspecies tag with all the possible subspecies in it as well as a default none. If you organize each species' subspecies together it should be pretty easy to use. I had to do something similar for the subraces in my campaign.
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old December 10th, 2015, 05:28 AM
Another option is to give multiple tags. I have a "Monster Type" tag and I assign both the main and subspecies to it. That allows me to search by either tag if I want and it's easy to tell which is the main type. I thought about adding a whole new tag for "Monster Subtype", but decided against it in order to save a bit of time during data entry.
meek75 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 10th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
Another option is to give multiple tags. I have a "Monster Type" tag and I assign both the main and subspecies to it. That allows me to search by either tag if I want and it's easy to tell which is the main type. I thought about adding a whole new tag for "Monster Subtype", but decided against it in order to save a bit of time during data entry.
I can see the benefit to that as well but it simply changes where the additional tags are placed I guess.
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 10th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Your best bet, until scripting comes along (scripting is coming I assume)....
I think that's a poor assumption; between moving towards a web client and not exposing an object model on Windows from the outset I doubt scripting is a desired feature. (Unless you mean something different from what I'm thinking.)

Personally, I wish all applications exposed proper object models for scripting purposes, but Microsoft dropped the ball there many years ago.

ObTopic: My solution would depend on how often it comes up. If very few species have subspecies then I'd make custom Tag Domains for them, add Tag Snippet Types to my Categories for those domains but not have them added automatically, and insert them as needed. If there's a lot then I'd probably make one unified Species Tag Domain with both "Species" and "Species (Subspecies)" tags. Pick the subspecies when designating species in a Snippet but add the generic for filtering. Alternatively, if the subspecies isn't that important most of the time just type it into the Tag Snippet's text box. (If the new Tags-on-Snippets feature looks at those boxes this could even add a subspecies tag for you.)

Last edited by Parody; December 10th, 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
athelu

Old March 8th, 2016, 04:47 PM
I am coming across something similar. I have this in races (I have multiple types of elves), as well as monsters (lesser, normal, greater versions). Right now i have them each as a species and am relying on the suffix for disambiguation, but this causes a headache when the system attempts to create links automatically.
athelu is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 8th, 2016, 06:24 PM
For situations like this, I skip the suffix and just make it part of the name. That alphabetizes, doesn't create linking issues and is easy to maintain. I add alias names to each to give the more common usages.

Elf, High with aliases of High Elf and High Elves
Elf, Gray
Elf, Wood
etc.

Bandit
Bandit, Archer
Bandit, Brawler
Bandit, Leader
Bandit, Sergeant
etc.
AEIOU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote