Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Aristodeimos

Old May 17th, 2020, 06:36 PM
1. Can someone explain to me why I have to click "ok" about 10-25 times every time I try to open Hero Lab for Mac on my 64 bit machine. It's not even consistent how many times I have to click it. The message window says "Hero Lab.app would like to access files in your Documents folder. Hero Lab needs to access data files in your Document folder. Don't Allow / Ok. As stated, I end up getting this message 6-25 times every time I try to open the program or a file.

2. Hero Lab is suffering serious lag. I click on buttons and have to wait about a 3-second count for it to react. I've been using Hero Lab for Mac since it was originally released. Never had any problems until about 1-2 months ago.
Aristodeimos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old May 17th, 2020, 11:03 PM
You may have too many applications open, and the Mac is low on memory? Send an email to support with what your Mac is and details of the problems you are having.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old May 18th, 2020, 06:34 PM
Sounds like permissions issues in the user account. Create a test user on the computer and don't connect to any email, appleID, or other account. Then open the app and try it. Does the issue persist? Then it os a problem with the App or the System. Does the issue go away? Then the issue is with the user account settings.

For slowness on a Mac start with clearing the PRAM or SMC. If the issue persists look at Startup items and study what is happening in Activity Monitor.
Tekwych is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
raim1312

Old May 21st, 2020, 07:58 AM
I have the same issue. It started with the 64 bit upgrade and the Catalina macOS upgrade. I have a 2018 MacBook Pro.

The prompts for access to Documents I believe is part of the new Catalina security updates. Other applications also have the same prompt, but only the first time I use them. Hero Lab asks every time I open the application and it prompts many times.

The lag has been rather consistent since the 64 bit upgrade. Switching tabs (say In Play to Magic) takes 1-2 seconds. Right now I'm playing an Inquisitor in Pathfinder and scrolling through my abilities to select a Judgement takes ~6 seconds. The worst lag is when trying to add a piece of equipment to the character. Scrolling or searching through the list is something that takes so long I give up doing this while playing the game.

I use iStatMenu to monitor system resources. While using Hero Lab, my CPU and Memory do not break 50% of max. Watching Hero Lab in Activity Monitor, I do see CPU climb when performing these functions, but nothing concerning. It has more room, but doesn't use it.

I should really reach out to support....
raim1312 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aristodeimos

Old May 24th, 2020, 02:18 PM
I figured it out. Mac users must go to Settings > Security & Privacy > Full Disc Access. Unlock Security. Push the "+" button. Go to "Applications" and click the box next to "Hero Lab". Relock Security. Should work fine from that point on. PM me if you have further questions.
Aristodeimos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
raim1312

Old June 7th, 2020, 09:53 AM
Thanks Aristodeimos! That ended up solving the multiple Documents prompts, but not the poor performance. Due to an unrelated issue, I ended up with a new MacBook Pro. I figured now would be the best time to test Hero Lab as the OS was freshly installed, and performance was still abysmal. Adding damage or healing took seconds for each button click. Scrolling through gear, spells, or character abilities is slow to the point of unusable.

To my surprise, the Windows version of Hero Lab works especially well in macOS Catalina via wine. Since there are some complexities I haven't figured out yet with wine and 32bit/64bit support in catalina, I ended up using CrossOver by CodeWeavers. They have full support for catalina and Hero Lab installed without issue and runs with the performance I would expect.
raim1312 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
vladimir10

Old June 10th, 2020, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristodeimos View Post
I figured it out. Mac users must go to Settings > Security & Privacy > Full Disc Access. Unlock Security. Push the "+" button. Go to "Applications" and click the box next to "Hero Lab". Relock Security. Should work fine from that point on. PM me if you have further questions.
I made the changes you suggested, and still having the same issues, as well as the sluggishness. Have had these issues since 64 bit came out. Any other suggestions?
vladimir10 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
osopolare

Old June 29th, 2020, 09:01 AM
I'm also finding HL performance to by abysmal on OSX Catalina. I'm using a quad-core 3.2 GHz i5 with 32GB of RAM and a fast internal SSD. And it takes 1.5s to switch characters. .5s just to switch between tabs?

That's pretty bad.

Is HL Classic for Mac still being maintained?

I'll try running HL in a Windows VM. If it performs better in a VM something is terribly, terribly wrong.
osopolare is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Evil Aardvark

Old July 5th, 2020, 08:54 AM
I've just installed on a new Mac with Catalina and the performance is sluggish to the point that it is almost unusable.
Evil Aardvark is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Bando

Old July 24th, 2020, 06:38 AM
I'm still on Mojave and the performance is pretty slow in some places.
It's unclear but it seems like the performance gets worse when a long list of items is present like when adding new weapons, etc.

I tried the suggestion to allow full disk access with no noticable results.

Last edited by Bando; July 24th, 2020 at 06:45 AM.
Bando is offline   #10 Reply With Quote