Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Shadavar

Old August 6th, 2019, 01:43 AM
Hi

I'd like to know what the future plans are for Hero Lab "Classic" and will it incorporate new products such as Starfinder and Pathfinder 2E?

When I originally bought HL it was stated that all future game releases would be supported. And yet it looks like it won't be. I do not want to use your online version as I do not want to waste data, being a traveller.

If these and future products will not be supported in "Classic" with the intent of moving everything over to "Online" I'd like to know what my options are? As I am "licensing" the software and it's usage from you, and won't be able to use it in new products that I want to play, then at the very least I would like a compete refund so I can look elsewhere? I don't want this as I like "Classic" but I'm now worried that my investment is now obsolete.
Shadavar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 6th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadavar View Post
all future game releases would be supported.
This bit is true for Pathfinder 1st edition; not future game systems.

LWD have a 60-day refund policy if you're not happy with any of their tools.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Ryan F; October 4th, 2020 at 02:53 PM.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Shadavar

Old August 6th, 2019, 01:16 PM
I'm not happy with the current tool not supporting games. I want a portable toolset that doesn't rely on an internet connection for me to use, that is why I bought HL in the first place. And now a second game system is not being supported. Why did I buy it in the first place then!!!???
Shadavar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 6th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Why did I buy it in the first place then!!!???
Perhaps for the ~11 years you've been using it for Mutants and Masterminds and the ~7 years for Pathfinder 1E, and will continue to be able to use it for them in the future? (These estimates were based on your posting history; if you did buy it in the last 60 days, then I apologize.)

While I'd also rather have new systems in desktop Hero Lab, doing so is up to LWD. They should do what they think is best for both their users and their bottom line, and if we don't like it we should vote with our wallets by not buying those new products.

As far as "all future game releases would be supported", I don't know what they might have told you. What I can say is that the Wayback Machine archives of the website from 2008-2011 don't appear to say that in a way that can be interpreted as "all future systems we release will be in this product". They say things like "support for additional systems will be added in the following months".

This link will put you on the site as it was in June 2008, so you can see for yourself: https://web.archive.org/web/20080618...ntext=hero_lab

I'm sorry you're not happy. I'm not that happy with HLO either! But I don't think anyone can go from there to getting a refund for a program they've been using for years and continues to work just as it has.

Last edited by Ryan F; October 4th, 2020 at 02:54 PM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 6th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Speaking of Mutants and Masterminds, the last content update on the site is 2017, although at least Green Ronin has been publishing portfolios with the PDFs.
Duggan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Shadavar

Old August 6th, 2019, 11:04 PM
I don't want a refund, I said that to drive home a point. As stated, I like HL, it's very useful. And it travels with me. HLO is just not feasible and has a major flaw in being able to use it. No connection = no access. And now I don't have access to Starfinder and Pathfinder 2E, with no plans to support either product in HLC. I'm getting pissed off and wondering about why I bought the software in the first place.
Shadavar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 6th, 2019, 11:43 PM
Quote:
I don't want a refund, I said that to drive home a point. As stated, I like HL, it's very useful. And it travels with me. HLO is just not feasible and has a major flaw in being able to use it. No connection = no access. And now I don't have access to Starfinder and Pathfinder 2E, with no plans to support either product in HLC. I'm getting pissed off and wondering about why I bought the software in the first place.
Lots of people feel the same!
Have a look in the HLO forums!

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old September 25th, 2019, 10:00 AM
I'd really love some clarification on what the status of Hero Lab Classic is. The updated 64-bit version is welcome news. At the same time, though, I've gotten the impression that no new game systems are coming for Hero Lab Classic, and new game systems will be added to Hero Lab Online instead. Is this true or not? Are there any plans for developing new game systems for Hero Lab Classic?

I'd love to see Shadowrun 6E (which I've already seen elsewhere is not planned) and I'd love to see some of Modiphius' 2D20 systems for Star Trek, Conan, and Infinity. Zweihander would be great, etc...
Murrdox is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old September 25th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrdox View Post
I'd love to see Shadowrun 6E (which I've already seen elsewhere is not planned) and I'd love to see some of Modiphius' 2D20 systems for Star Trek, Conan, and Infinity. Zweihander would be great, etc...
I, too, would enjoy Shadowrun 6 in HLC and would definitely purchase a 2d20 system for Star Trek and Infinity.
Tekwych is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 25th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekwych View Post
I, too, would enjoy Shadowrun 6 in HLC and would definitely purchase a 2d20 system for Star Trek and Infinity.
Star Trek is already available from the community (so you need the authoring kit to use it).

Farling

Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote