Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

jfrazierjr

Old September 20th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Simple enough question. I want to replace all existing calls to a procedure X with new code that does something different. My assumption is that it's not that extensible, but I would like some official word on the subject.
jfrazierjr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old September 20th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Well if it's an already existing procedure in your system, you could just go replace the code in it. It's likely in your procedure.dat file from the original skeleton files.

If you're referring to something else, please elaborate.
AndrewD2 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old September 21st, 2017, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD2 View Post
Well if it's an already existing procedure in your system, you could just go replace the code in it. It's likely in your procedure.dat file from the original skeleton files.

If you're referring to something else, please elaborate.
Ok, this is a bit of a story that's not cut and dry. I use the Savage Worlds system and frankly, I am waffling on the decision to start mostly from scratch OR figure out what stuff in the existing SW that I can fix vs what i can live with. There's quite a few changes I would want and some of them are sadly in the procedures, hence the question. Some of the changes CapedCrusader has on his list to add/fix, but others are so big a change that there is no way to easily do so without breaking paid for content as well as the dozens of fan made setting files built over the years. Anyhow, back to procedures specifically...

In THIS case, I have clear and easy access to the source since that's what the Authoring Kit example is based upon. however, if I were to ever want to play a different game (such as D&D 5e for example), I want to know what, if anything would be possible if I needed to change the contents of some procedures.

Specifically, for the way Savage Worlds works, this also is at whole decision I am working on is part of the feature request http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59193 I made the other day since that situation happens all the time in Savage Worlds and likely rarely happens in most other game systems(need for "replaces", but only sometimes).
jfrazierjr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:06 AM
In the editor, the *Procedures tab doesn't have a "Replaces Thing Id" option, so I don't understand how you intended to make this replacement happen.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
In the editor, the *Procedures tab doesn't have a "Replaces Thing Id" option, so I don't understand how you intended to make this replacement happen.
That's pretty much what I was trying to ask(and my assumption as well), however, I was under the impression that various properties for a given object might be available, but not actually visible in the editor so I did not want to make an assumption(and if I am wrong on that point, please let me know) and was asking more in terms of how the XML itself is processed.

I think at the end of that day, in order to do what I want with the Savage Worlds system, I am going to have to copy and extend/replace various parts. Good in that I have source code for all of it so don't have to start from completed scratch.

Bad that I still have a good deal of work to do to change the UI and a few object properties(ie, add some new properties to objects) and that any future fixes won't get applied automatically.

This really was not so much about a need to change an existing procedure with my copy, but a general question about how the extensiblity of the application works. One of the change to a procedure has already been done and I am about to ask for a second change(that may or may not be done).
jfrazierjr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:37 AM
Funnily enough, I had a similar situation recently, where someone asked about changing behavior of Mutants and Masterminds, and since it required changing a Procedure, it also involved replacing everything that called that Procedure with the new name...
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 22nd, 2017, 08:48 AM
I am not aware of any way to replace procedures (short of Duggan's solution - replace everything that calls the procedure, and have it call a new procedure).
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote