Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old October 22nd, 2016, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarelth View Post
Having trouble with the update link on my Ipad, have it in correctly. But it keeps coming up as an error when I try to update.

Most likely just my own error, not yours.

BTW, shouldn't the Kank show up under NPC races not PC races?
1) I'm not sure about any ipad issues, sorry. I dont use a mobile device so I dont really have any way of testing.

2) Krank as an NPC is a good point. I will look into that, thank you.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
Sarelth

Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:52 PM
I don't think that the error I have is related to the pack at all, I think the Ipad just dislikes the link. I am sure I will figure it out eventually.

The Kank is a monster in Darksun, it's certainly not a playable race. They can be domesticated as pack animals (Well beetle things).

Keep up the good work on here.
Sarelth is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
Doskious

Old November 11th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
Yes, eventually. I have been VERY busy lately, and will likely remain busy for a while, hence why I haven't responded (sorry about that). The problem with the wizarding orders is that require some additional mechanics that I need to to think about how to implement.

Specifically, MOON Magic, probably an in-play adjustment with a numeric value for what phase of the moon it is. Clumsy and inelegant as that seems.

However, if I must be honest, I think the orders would be best served by adding a set of archetypes for the various arcane classes; Wizard, Sorcerer, Arcanist, Magus etc. As for bard; in the world of Krynn (as with most 3.5), they were very often considered Divine. So not sure about them. Not sure exactly where a Witch would fit in or if a Summoner would really make sense, but as you can see it is something I'll need to give some thought to.

Rest assured I have not forgotten about DL or any other of the books I'm working with.
I've been running a DL campaign using your package as a base, and while the idea of archetypes sounds more elegant, I felt that the Prestige Class was more appropriate, since archetypes are intended to be taken at 1st level whereas a character is not forced to choose between being a Wizard of High Sorcery and a Renegade until just before they advance to whichever level at which their casting class gains access to 3rd level magic. The Prestige Class option seemed to be more reflective of that progression and also more egalitarian, since the published requirements (in the Towers of High Sorcery sourcebook anyway) avoid tying it to anything other than the ability to prepare and cast 2nd level arcane spells, and class-less character attributes (feats, skills, and saves). As one of my players is a Witch and another is a Wizard, the Prestige Class seemed like the obvious time-saving choice for me as well.

As you've indicated, the in-play adjustment method for dealing with the Moon magic adjustments also struck me as the only good way to address that component of the setting. It seemed to me that there were two ways to do it: either code in the math for all three moons' orbits and present the character with a way to enter the campaign date, or provide two selection boxes, one for moon phase and one for the number of other moons in the same phase (in conjunction).

I initially figured that the first option would be tidier, and worked out the necessary equations based on the moon calendar presented in the 3.5 adventure 'Dragons of Autumn'. Then I realized that while that adventure sets the Night of the Eye on 351-10-15, other sources have published moon calendars that don't agree with that date. I didn't want to write code that only worked with one specific moon calendar, so I switched to the easier-to-implement drop-down option.

I've also worked out some of the other class abilities. Most of the Order Secrets are just flavor text and an automatic ability counter, but I've only coded in those secrets that my players have actually taken. Similarly, while I've got the code to support enhanced specialization (for the already-specialized Wizard), the ability to add specialization to a non-wizard is lacking, as the player with the Witch elected not to specialize.

I've attached the .user file containing my work, for what it's worth, for reference (or implementation; please feel free to use any part of my efforts, if it's helpful). It also contains some other Dragonlance-based alterations or additions, mostly for Draconian races and Minotaurs. With a few minor alterations to the Custom Race rules, Minotaurs can be built as a 10-point race, which seemed a tidy way to support that character option.
Attached Files
File Type: email PFRPG_Dragonlance_Houserules.user (82.8 KB, 1 views)
Doskious is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old November 11th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doskious View Post
I've been running a DL campaign using your package as a base, and while the idea of archetypes sounds more elegant, I felt that the Prestige Class was more appropriate, since archetypes are intended to be taken at 1st level whereas a character is not forced to choose between being a Wizard of High Sorcery and a Renegade until just before they advance to whichever level at which their casting class gains access to 3rd level magic. The Prestige Class option seemed to be more reflective of that progression and also more egalitarian, since the published requirements (in the Towers of High Sorcery sourcebook anyway) avoid tying it to anything other than the ability to prepare and cast 2nd level arcane spells, and class-less character attributes (feats, skills, and saves). As one of my players is a Witch and another is a Wizard, the Prestige Class seemed like the obvious time-saving choice for me as well.

As you've indicated, the in-play adjustment method for dealing with the Moon magic adjustments also struck me as the only good way to address that component of the setting. It seemed to me that there were two ways to do it: either code in the math for all three moons' orbits and present the character with a way to enter the campaign date, or provide two selection boxes, one for moon phase and one for the number of other moons in the same phase (in conjunction).

I initially figured that the first option would be tidier, and worked out the necessary equations based on the moon calendar presented in the 3.5 adventure 'Dragons of Autumn'. Then I realized that while that adventure sets the Night of the Eye on 351-10-15, other sources have published moon calendars that don't agree with that date. I didn't want to write code that only worked with one specific moon calendar, so I switched to the easier-to-implement drop-down option.

I've also worked out some of the other class abilities. Most of the Order Secrets are just flavor text and an automatic ability counter, but I've only coded in those secrets that my players have actually taken. Similarly, while I've got the code to support enhanced specialization (for the already-specialized Wizard), the ability to add specialization to a non-wizard is lacking, as the player with the Witch elected not to specialize.

I've attached the .user file containing my work, for what it's worth, for reference (or implementation; please feel free to use any part of my efforts, if it's helpful). It also contains some other Dragonlance-based alterations or additions, mostly for Draconian races and Minotaurs. With a few minor alterations to the Custom Race rules, Minotaurs can be built as a 10-point race, which seemed a tidy way to support that character option.
Thank you very much for your contribution, I will examine it when I get a chance.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
Sarelth

Old November 13th, 2016, 03:41 AM
Is there a way to make the Ravenloft Mechanics information not show up when I do not have Ravenloft checked? It's not a super big deal to ignore, but it just add clutter when not needed.
Sarelth is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
3catcircus

Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:27 AM
Any additional progress on the Forgotten Realms work?

I'm starting to modify things on my own install (extremely slowly, of course), but I don't want to repeat any specific elements if they are already being worked on.
3catcircus is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Any additional progress on the Forgotten Realms work?

I'm starting to modify things on my own install (extremely slowly, of course), but I don't want to repeat any specific elements if they are already being worked on.
There is some progress, mostly bug fixes and typos at this point. I have been rather busy the last few months, however, that should hopefully correct itself later this month and I'll be back to adding new content for many of the books in this update pack.

I dont have any specific details yet on much of what I'll be working on, except, that I want to add some of the deity CHOSEN templates. Such as the Chosen of Mystra and the Chosen of Bane. Also, I want to increase compatability between the faerun racial regions/feats and the core classes. But, that is a long term project.

Feel free to work on what you like. However, please dont add them to any of the forgotten realms files (or any of my other files from the addon pack), as they will just be overwritten the next update. Even if no changes are made to them.

That is just the way the update system works. Furthermore, I urge caution with your unique ID's. I will be using xFR for forgotten realms, xRv or xRvn for Ravenloft, xDL for Dragonlance and I dont know what is being used for Dark Sun... probably xDS.

Also, 3.5 Convert material is using x35. But that shouldn't really apply except for items that are available to ALL of my source books.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarelth View Post
Is there a way to make the Ravenloft Mechanics information not show up when I do not have Ravenloft checked? It's not a super big deal to ignore, but it just add clutter when not needed.
None that I am aware of; it is the mechanic allows for Fear/Horror/Madness as well as the Outcast rating. It needs to be universal because of the way the ravenloft system works and interacts with all other non-ravenloft sourcebooks and races.

I can feel your irritation; I am similarly annoyed by this and tried for a while to make it vanish. But each attempt also deactivated the mechanic and its rules.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old December 3rd, 2016, 01:24 PM
You can make a separate copy of the Pathfinder game system, and install Ravenloft on one and not the other - but that means you'd have to update them separately, so it's whichever inconvenience bothers you less.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old December 3rd, 2016, 02:55 PM
That wouldn't work. The Ravenloft Mechanics is contained in the universal file, used for all of the 3.5 converted content. It is needed because there are mechanics of it that are used by other systems as well.

I have been working with and toying with a better way, but I have yet to find one. I am sorry.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #80 Reply With Quote