Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old April 25th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I will still use it as you describe and still use my TV when playing at my house, and I guess turn the laptop around when not at my place. Maybe realm works should sell some sort of swivel stand to put your laptop on :P
You can get cheap second monitors which are powered by the USB port and also plug into the video port on your laptop. I use one of those when GMing.
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 26th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
You can get cheap second monitors which are powered by the USB port and also plug into the video port on your laptop. I use one of those when GMing.
Monitor's is not an issue, I have a half a dozen monitors in my closet. It's a place to put them that would be the issue. My place, using my TV and a wireless HDMI adapater works great. The 2 friends houses I play at do not have anywhere to put a monitor (small room, small table) laptops take up all the space, would be nice to use the laptops for this.
Toblakai is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ThatOneMike

Old April 26th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Quote:
That may be the way some people will use it, but it wasn't really the way I was expecting it to work. In this modern day of the interwebs I had just assumed the content was would be synced automatically as things were revealed. Wasn't really expecting a pre-1999 method of updating.

I will still use it as you describe and still use my TV when playing at my house, and I guess turn the laptop around when not at my place. Maybe realm works should sell some sort of swivel stand to put your laptop on :P
Realm Works is not a web app (yet). It's an offline database that you can share with other users.
ThatOneMike is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneMike View Post
Realm Works is not a web app (yet). It's an offline database that you can share with other users.
That is the current implementation. But their website is not selling an "offline database" that can be shared with others.

Last edited by Toblakai; April 26th, 2016 at 10:15 PM.
Toblakai is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ich.pdf

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Quote:
A little bait and switch going on here I think.
I think it's rather libel that is going on here. Would be careful in your position to use somewhat technical terms.. I would recommend proper research (e.g. on this forum) BEFORE spending 50 bucks.

That said, I support your request for instant sync but not the way you make it.
ich.pdf is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 26th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ich.pdf View Post
I think it's rather libel that is going on here. Would be careful in your position to use somewhat technical terms.. I would recommend proper research (e.g. on this forum) BEFORE spending 50 bucks.

That said, I support your request for instant sync but not the way you make it.
The program is still quite useful for the $50.00, I don't regret spending the money, but they should really have it detailed up front that updates to others is not real time and requires a long sequence of actions for them to see the changes.

I actually have read the forums here quite a bit before buying. I just did not hit on the threads that talked about no live updates, and it's only 50 bucks. How hard do you research something before you spend $50?
Toblakai is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old April 26th, 2016, 09:53 AM
If you are unhappy, they have (had?) some kind of refund policy. So no harm done. (But you have to do some research again). I'll have a quick look as well.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
ich.pdf

Old April 26th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Quote:
The program is still quite useful for the $50.00, I don't regret spending the money, but they should really have it detailed up front that updates to others is not real time and requires a long sequence of actions for them to see the changes.
Well, what they detail up front is what it CAN DO instead of what it CAN'T DO. The Spotlight Series have a clip (roughly 7 minutes, I can't tell it from the top of my head) that is dedicated to reavealing your world and how you can show it to your players.

Quote:
I actually have read the forums here quite a bit before buying. I just did not hit on the threads that talked about no live updates, and it's only 50 bucks. How hard do you research something before you spend $50?
That totally depends how how "itchy my fingers" are (Is that a term in English, too, for "desiring something very badly"? :-D ). But if there are reasonable means for me to find the information I would have needed in advance, I wouldn't blame the company of doing something that is legally considered to be fraud, even if I don't mean it.
Maybe I'm a little sensitive. You can choose among reasons: I am a lawyer, I am German, I don't want people to think this company is commiting some sort of fraud what will cause them to not buy the product what ultimately will lead to LWDs bankruptcy and me not being able to enjoy Realm Works and Herolab anymore... Ok, that is not likely to happen, but I hope I made my point clear :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
If you are unhappy, they have (had?) some kind of refund policy. So no harm done. (But you have to do some research again). I'll have a quick look as well.

This by the way is not meant to be offensive. I just think it is your responsibility to make sure things you buy are worth it and I don't see LWD is "tricking" anybody
ich.pdf is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 26th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ich.pdf View Post
This by the way is not meant to be offensive. I just think it is your responsibility to make sure things you buy are worth it and I don't see LWD is "tricking" anybody
Oh I still think its worth it, I just may not have spent another $30 for a 5 pack of player licenses for my players.

I will still use it and turn my laptop around as needed. Just not as convenient as I was expecting it to be.
Toblakai is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ich.pdf

Old April 26th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Well, sorry, that about being worth it was kind of redundant as you already made clear that you think it is worth it. I only wanted to point out that it is not you personally but the unawareness of the "blurry grey line" that is between critique and accusation that people sometimes have what causes a slightly passionate comment of mine in this thread

That's it. Over and out.

PS: I hope you will have fun :-D That's why we're here.
ich.pdf is offline   #20 Reply With Quote