Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:58 PM
I'm starting to enter articles on services and hirelings. Where are you all entering information on the cost and mechanics for services or the rates for hirelings?

Right now, I'm just making them "Game Mastering" articles.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:08 PM
Changed my mind. Putting them under other. Many of these are to be shared with players. Doesn't seem right to use a "game mastering" article for something I share with players.

MNBlockHead is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 5th, 2015, 03:26 AM
For services I place them under Game Play in Mechanics Reference.

I have made a graduation system (Quality of Service) of various services (boarding, inns, restaurants, bathhouses, stables), so I can simply write

"The noseless Midget", Inn, QoS 3.

I would probably do the same for mercenaries, etc. Haven't had the need yet.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 5th, 2015, 03:10 PM
The QOS idea is a good one. Do you add QOS as a tag or as a suffix? I would think I would (also) want it in a snippet so that it links to the game-mechanics article.

So far, I just enter the menus and prices as snippets in the inn topics and have just been winging it for random inns, using the guidelines in the DnD 5e PHB.

But I've been thinking that it would be useful to have some mechanics articles with tables for various services and menu items as well as price lists for different regions and ethnicities. Then, when creating an in, I would only need to select the appropriate tags and not have to both creating menus, etc.

Tags seem like the way to add such categorization, but then they would not link to the mechanics articles. So I would probably have a snippet that would say something like, "The Drunken Shield Maiden serves Northman Fare, QOS 2.", With "Northman Fare" linking to an article providing random tables and example menus appropriate for a Nordic inn, organized into sections by Quality of Service levels.

MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Well, I simply put it in a snippet. I haven't got to the point of using tags at all, even though everyone praises them highly. Probably because I haven't yet got around to making the tags that works for me :-)

As you say, in the snippet, I can click the link. It would be nice if you could setup a tag in management and then link, say Race Tag: Elf to Mechanic Reference article Elf, whereas Race Tag: Direpanda should reference to Mechanic Reference article Direpanda. So clicking the Elf tag (should probably be CTRL + click or something) would take you to the appropriate article.

Wih regard to the QoS, I think I might have overdone it a bit (description wise).

<-- there should have been a picture here...

I will never get the hang of inserting pictures in this forum...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 6th, 2015, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
As you say, in the snippet, I can click the link. It would be nice if you could setup a tag in management and then link, say Race Tag: Elf to Mechanic Reference article Elf, whereas Race Tag: Direpanda should reference to Mechanic Reference article Direpanda. So clicking the Elf tag (should probably be CTRL + click or something) would take you to the appropriate article.
Once again I thought we had a more lengthy suggestion thread for this, but my searches brought me back to this thread on notes and links for tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I will never get the hang of inserting pictures in this forum...
Your URL isn't a link to an image. It's a link to a website that uses JavaScript to start a download for a file, which happens to be an image. To use the IMG tag, you need to put the image directly on a website.

Alternatively (and used more often on this forum, I believe) you can attach the image. To do that, click on the paperclip icon above or the Manage Attachments button below the (Advanced) posting area, choose a file, and Upload it. After the image is attached, you can show it inline by clicking on the paperclip icon and then the name of the file. This uses the ATTACH tag.

I've attached your image but didn't show it inline because it's wider than the normal width of my browser window.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png QoS-example01.png (37.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Parody; December 6th, 2015 at 02:43 AM.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 6th, 2015, 08:00 AM
@Parody

Thank you!

I am going to copy your directions into my note tool so I can refer to it later :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote