Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old January 30th, 2016, 09:20 PM
The MM gives mechanics for altering a player who is cursed/blessed with lycanthropy.

I assume that "Shapechanger" should be a feat named either "Shapechanger" or "Lycanthropic Shapechanger"

Keen smell would also be a feat.

But, if feats, the rules will prevent adding them. I'm new to HL, so maybe there is a way to override this. Is the idea that I just add the additional "feats" and ignore the validation warnings?

Attacks like Bite and Claw, I assume, would need to be created as Weapons so that they are shown as attacks on the character sheet.

Also, for lycanthropes, some attacks are only available in some forms? How would I account for this?

How would you account for the special effects of a lycanthrope's bite (target humanoid must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with lycanthropy)?

I'm finding that I'm putting a lot of stuff just in the description. I have not played around with the Tactical Console yet. I don't know how much is really automated. If I'm only trying to track the characters' information, then I really don't need to make this very complicated, but if these effects can be tracked in combat using the tactical console, I'd like to do things right when creating these.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Elindor

Old January 31st, 2016, 12:52 AM
I've been going over the datafiles all day, and it might be easier to set up as a subrace (or a sequence of subraces, as needed) - of course, for those who don't have subraces, you'll need to base it off of the race, and make the changes there (Otherwise, you'd need to update the subraces as well, and we want to work smarter)

Step 1) Create Shapechanger, the Natural Attacks and traits as Racial Special Abilities (created in the Races/Racial Special tab). I'd say set the Curse of Lycanthropy as it's own special ability and define the save there (remember, it's Con based).

Step 2) Copy the Subrace (or Race if there is no subrace for that race) and give it an appropriate name. Then, click the Edit button next to Racial Special Abilities and add in the abilities created in step 1.

Also, you'll need to add code to cover the change in ability scores - the AC change should go on the Shapechange ability (Which can be turned on and off), while the stat change is on the (sub)race - borrow from the stat buff items. Immunities should go on the (sub)race

Step 3) When a player gets infected, change the (sub)race. When they shapechange to Hybrid form, click the Shapechange button. If they shift to beast form, unequip the weapons and armour.
Elindor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 5th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Thanks, this is helpful. Sorry for not responding earlier, I was on a work trip most of this week. I'll look over this and play around, but this sets me in the right direction.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote