Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

stubbdog

Old January 31st, 2007, 07:40 AM
I am trying to author the files for Reaper CAV and having a design issue that I need a quick pointer on...

The game is based on a damage track system. But, the weapons will have their own stats and options. And I am trying to figure out how to accomplish this in the files.

From the other games I looked at, the unit has all of the stats and such and items only enhance the main unit change the main unit, or add abilities to the main unit. But the items themselves dont have damage tracks.

Well, in this game they do. So, I am trying to figure out how to do items as units. That is how do I give items stats and damage tracks.

I know I can do options for items and handle the special abilities and such that way, but I am not sure how to pull off the damage tracks...

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Here is a datacard to kinda show you where I am coming from.

stubbdog is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old January 31st, 2007, 07:46 AM
Basically, my thought process was to break it up into parts. Using the datacard above to give my example...

I would make the dragoon and all of its stats for damage track 0 as one unit, then damage track 1, dt2, dt3, etc... as their own subunits that are tied back to the main unit as options. I learned this technique from Russell's Reaper Warlord files.

But, this handles only the main Dragoon (from the example).

I figured to handle the two weapons seperately as Items and then assign those two items to the dragoon. This is because each weapon has its own stats and data and can be upgraded individually. And not all models in the game wil have the same number or type of weapons.

Problem is that I havent been able to figure out how to do the damage track part for the weapons.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
stubbdog is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
At 08:46 AM 1/31/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I would make the dragoon and all of its stats for damage track 0 as one unit, then damage track 1, dt2, dt3, etc... as their own subunits that are tied back to the main unit as options. I learned this technique from Russell's Reaper Warlord files.

But, this handles only the main Dragoon (from the example).

I figured to handle the two weapons seperately as Items and then assign those two items to the dragoon. This is because each weapon has its own stats and data and can be upgraded individually. And not all models in the game wil have the same number or type of weapons.

Problem is that I havent been able to figure out how to do the damage track part for the weapons.
Russell is going to be the most help with this, since he's already solved most of these problems. However, I'd suggest looking at having a different stat set (of unit stats) for weapons. You'd use one stat set for the main unit and a different one for weapons.

-Rob
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
stubbdog

Old March 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Ok, here is what I am trying to figure out...

Can an item have stats?

I already know I can tie options to an item, but I havent figured out how to tie stats to an item.

If it cannot be done, then I have to use units to represent the items, and then have to figure out how to tie units to units.
stubbdog is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I couldn't figure out a way to have stats on an item, so I copied from the Battlefleet Gothic files for how to use units to represent items with statlines.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 12th, 2007, 01:08 AM
At 03:47 PM 3/7/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Can an item have stats?

I already know I can tie options to an item, but I havent figured out how to tie stats to an item.

If it cannot be done, then I have to use units to represent the items, and then have to figure out how to tie units to units.
The fundamental distinction between items and units is that units have stats. Items don't. So there is no way to assign stats to items. Tying units to units is achieved the exact same way as tying items to units. You need to attach the child via an option and then link it to the parent. In the "How To" chapter in the Kit manual, there is a topic entitled "Adding Units Dynamically Via Options". This topic will outline the basics of what you need to do, and it will point you to additional topics that might be helpful as well.

-Rob
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote