Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer Fantasy 8th Ed.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Yobtar

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
I noticed that on pg 121 of the WHFB rulebook that characters that are not allowed to wear normal armour/helms/shields also cannot choose to wear magic armour/helms/shields unless Army books specify differently.
So if a character cannot buy the reg armour they cannot buy magic armour.
I have also noticed that AB does not apply this rule as many characters can purchase magic armour/shields/helms without being able to purchase the regular versions.
I hate to point this out as the huge recoding issue it might bring but also due to the fact that it hurts my army as well.
I think this rule is good in purpose but the fact that some Army books still haven't been published to coincide with the 7th edition rules really hampers those armies with this rule.
Yobtar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Team Tau

Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
It really depends on the army. Chaos Sorcerers can take armour, but most wizards cannot.
Team Tau is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
GreenTea

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tau View Post
It really depends on the army. Chaos Sorcerers can take armour, but most wizards cannot.
Chaos sorcs are always equipped with Chaos armor, and may upgrade additionally with a magic shield.
GreenTea is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bordercount

Old March 4th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
I noticed that on pg 121 of the WHFB rulebook that characters that are not allowed to wear normal armour/helms/shields also cannot choose to wear magic armour/helms/shields unless Army books specify differently.
So if a character cannot buy the reg armour they cannot buy magic armour.
I have also noticed that AB does not apply this rule as many characters can purchase magic armour/shields/helms without being able to purchase the regular versions.
I hate to point this out as the huge recoding issue it might bring but also due to the fact that it hurts my army as well.
I think this rule is good in purpose but the fact that some Army books still haven't been published to coincide with the 7th edition rules really hampers those armies with this rule.
...? This is not a new rule for 7th Edition.

However, after some testing with AB, I did find two possible errors: Butchers were allowed to take one piece of magic armor, though I'm not 100% on their rules; Warlock Engineers had the option to take magic armor, though not magic shields, and again I'm not 100% on their rules, either.

In other cases where wizards are allowed magic armor, this are very specifically allowed (BoC Bray-Shamans taking Chaos Armor, Empire Wizards taking the Armor of Tarnus).
bordercount is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
robert
Volunteer Data File Author

Old March 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM
i think most of the cases for this shoulkd be handled already... can anyone point to a unit that they know is incorrectly being allowed magic armor / shields?? I think the ogre butcher getting that 1 item is a special rule, for example...
robert is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Yobtar

Old March 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Well I for one know that Skaven plague priests can still access magic armour even though they cannot access regular armour. But this was gonna be my next question, In the Skaven book the Plague Priest army list entry states "May choose a mix of magic items from the Common or Skaven magic items list with a maximum total value of 50 pts."
Does this qualify as specified differently in the army books?
If so then ignore my post and continue on about your way and let me apologize for wasting your time.
Yobtar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
bordercount

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM
A character must have the option to take mundane armor and/or shields in order to be able to take magic armor/shields.

This, however, can be overridden by a secial rule. For instance, the Empire's Armor of Tarnus says specifically that Wizards may wear it, even though they have no mundane options. Another example is Vampires; they get no option for mundane armor, but they have a special rule that allows them to take magic armor.

It sounds like the Plague Priest is SOL.
bordercount is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Yobtar

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordercount View Post
A character must have the option to take mundane armor and/or shields in order to be able to take magic armor/shields.

This, however, can be overridden by a secial rule. For instance, the Empire's Armor of Tarnus says specifically that Wizards may wear it, even though they have no mundane options. Another example is Vampires; they get no option for mundane armor, but they have a special rule that allows them to take magic armor.

It sounds like the Plague Priest is SOL.
/agree
Yobtar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote