Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Fenris447

Old February 27th, 2020, 11:56 AM
I'm making solid progress on the class feature variants.

The absolute biggest issue is the Ranger. The other classes replace one-off class abilities or simply add things, like extra ways to use Bardic Inspiration or swapping the Barbarian's Danger Sense for Survival Instinct.

The Ranger, on the other hand, replaces some of what Hero Lab calls Primary and Quaternary abilities. There is no single Thing called "Natural Explorer" in the files. Instead, there is a Thing for each possible terrain, all of which are labeled as part of the Natural Explorer quaternary ability. The Ranger class itself has a variable that states how many quaternary abilities it can pick from that pool.

So while we can just "turn off" something like Danger Sense, we cannot simply "turn off" Natural Explorer; there's nothing to turn off.

Instead, my idea is to have the new variant ability go and set that quaternary ability variable to 0. By default, the Ranger Class says "I can pick 1 favored terrain right now." The objective is to make it so that if you select the variant Deft Explorer ability, a script on Deft Explorer will go and tell the Ranger Class "no, you can't pick any favored terrain."

In the code for the Ranger, the quaternary abilities are controlled like this:
Code:
    <arrayval field="cCustQuTot" index="0" value="1"/>
    <arrayval field="cCustQuTot" index="5" value="2"/>
    <arrayval field="cCustQuTot" index="9" value="3"/>
The value is how many quaternary abilities can be selected and the index is at what level (0=1st level, 19=20th level). So at level 1, you get 1. Level 6, another, and a third at level 10.

How do we have the Deft Explorer variant ability set this value to zero? I basically just need to understand the script required for this. I've got everything else about it covered...I think.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote